VideoAerialSystems

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Wraith Micro 27.5" Build & Info

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    That sounds like some high tech shit. What's a side force generator?

Scott
    Stone blue airlines call's them winglets for their wings. On my older 3D planes they were called side force generators. I'm not trying to steal anything just asking for a little help
    Last edited by DOE; 8th October 2017 at 03:37 AM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
    Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on either the Micro Wraith or the Sphinx. This will be for tree dodging and general craziness. If you guys have flown both which do you prefer? If one can fly a stable a bit slower than the other that may be the way to go for me. I have all electronics/fpv gear. I have the Banshee and love it so much that another is currently on the build table.
    I have all 3 and have retired my Sphinx. It's 2 features over the Wraith is that it's *a lot* stronger and a bit faster. Was never truly happy with the way it flew.
    My next purchase will be another Banshee that I'll turn into a slick racer.

Just to throw it out there - things are going to be as strong as you build them. Of course, with aircraft this comes at a price: weight, but with not too much extra effort or fat you can have a nearly indestructible airframe. A few vertically placed flat carbon spars along the bottom and top of the fuse and the booms and you'd have a tough time destroying the plane even if you were trying. That said, most planes that you buy from any manufacturer are not going to come with all this sparring - you're going to have to provide the carbon and technique, but after a few million builds and rebuilds, you've got supplies and ideas... I say this because strength is something you can change. If an airframe is just an inherently bad design and it doesn't fly well, no amount of trying is going to get it to fly beautifully. But if the issue is or your decisions are based on durability, you can easily improve that without too much extra work.

Scott

Navigator
    Right..but the design of the Sphinx will always make it stronger than, say, the Wraith, as it's pretty much just a solid block of foam. With my last Wraith crash, no amount of sparring was going to prevent the tail from coming off. It was more a question of where it was going to break.

Navigator
    Well, I went with the Sphinx for the durability reason. However, I will probably order a Wraith Micro soon and use the parts I had set aside for the other Banshee I have partly built. I figure if my current Banshee is flying well I might as well keep flying it. On the topic of strength, this is just part of the reason why I like VAS products. I can tell from crashing the Banshee that correct/extra spar placement is crucial! But like Implicit said, "It was more a question of where it was going to break." is spot on. These planes were made to fly hard, fast and on the edge of disaster so breakage is inevitable!