VideoAerialSystems

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Wraith Micro 27.5" Build & Info

Just curious, what is everyone using for distance between the booms, 7" or 8"? And vertical stabs inside the booms or outside? I have seen it both ways and curious if there is an advantage either way? Getting started with my build now and can't wait to get it in the air!

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTap View Post
    Just curious, what is everyone using for distance between the booms, 7" or 8"? And vertical stabs inside the booms or outside? I have seen it both ways and curious if there is an advantage either way? Getting started with my build now and can't wait to get it in the air!
    Usually it is best to make sure your booms are going to be clear of your prop by at least 1/2". The reason for this is that in the even of a crash, the booms will flex and hit the prop if too close. If you do not expect to ever crash, this is not an issue... but you likely bought the wrong plane. The Wraith begs to be flown aggressively and crashes will happen.

For reference, my fins are inside and my boom spacing is 7.5" with a 6" prop.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Usually it is best to make sure your booms are going to be clear of your prop by at least 1/2". The reason for this is that in the even of a crash, the booms will flex and hit the prop if too close. If you do not expect to ever crash, this is not an issue... but you likely bought the wrong plane. The Wraith begs to be flown aggressively and crashes will happen.

For reference, my fins are inside and my boom spacing is 7.5" with a 6" prop.

-Alex
    Thanks Alex,
    that was where I was thinking. 8" just looked too wide and 7" was iffy. Can't wait to bash!

Finally got this guy flying right! I think my horizontal stab may be slightly angled downward. Torque is definitely at play too because I switched to a pusher prop and now it rolls pretty aggressively to the right! In any case, all successful launches this weekend! BTW - flew the old specter too. That thing could not be easier to launch! Still a lot of fun too. After flying both I am thinking the banshee might be the perfect size! This video is cut from both the specter and wraith with a couple quads following. (Wraith has the orange prop). Thanks to my flying buddy Jey_fpv for editing! Hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/OteWAq65T3k
    KK4HDH

Quote Originally Posted by JBeloncik View Post
    Finally got this guy flying right! I think my horizontal stab may be slightly angled downward. Torque is definitely at play too because I switched to a pusher prop and now it rolls pretty aggressively to the right! In any case, all successful launches this weekend! BTW - flew the old specter too. That thing could not be easier to launch! Still a lot of fun too. After flying both I am thinking the banshee might be the perfect size! This video is cut from both the specter and wraith with a couple quads following. (Wraith has the orange prop). Thanks to my flying buddy Jey_fpv for editing! Hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/OteWAq65T3k

looks like its flying great and a cool video too! I hope soon I can get a a place that has some trees or something to fly around

Starting to think about pulling my wraith off the shelf to build. I have a 3 acre basin behind my house with roughly 15 trees in several rough rows, I'd love to slalom this.

Not very adept on fpv stuff, mostly indoor micros like the nano qx and such.

Have a bunch of the emax 2204 2300kv on the bench with 12A escs, lemon DSMX rx. Can I go all the way down to 5g servos so long as they're MG? or should I stick with metal gears in the 9-11g range?

I have a random assortment of fpv stuff, much of it outdated, and I don't know if the drak survived a basement flood.

Can I get away with an Eachine TX03 broadcasting to EV800 goggles?

One of my primary battery types I use is 3s1300, any recommendations for prop? I'd rather be maneuverable than fast with this plane, loitering is more what I need.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    You want a 6" prop for lower speed stuff. The torque can get you out of situations quickly. However, I would get a different motor. I use a 2206/1900 on one of my planes and a 2208/2000 on the other. While the 2204 will likely work, a 2206 is ideal for this plane. I use a 1300 3S in both of them.

As for the TX... the Echine might work fine so long as you aren't pushing your limits.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

The eachine I use on tiny zooms for my kids, figure it's a good bridging to better gear. I can get a replacement motor just still trying to use up my backlog of old 2204s. The emax tend to be annoying because I am terrible at making sense of the two rotation styles.

I have a sunnysky 2204-28 (1480kv) somewhere in the bins but I don't think it'll have enough grunt for this. Open to suggestions on motor in terms of brand etc and servo sizes

Alex,

For someone who is kind of new to fixed wing, where do you recommend for the CG? And what do you recommend for control surface deflection?

thanks
    Rusty
    Rusty
    NEFPV^

My Popwing Build : http://www.fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?22885-Nitroplanes-900mm-Popwing-build-logPopwing%20Build

Hey guys,

Maidened the mini wraith last weekend and I must say its a blast. Flew perfectly first time and punches an amazing amount of power, speed and maneuverability!

I took my time with the build so as you can see in the photos I've got all the electronics nicely hidden inside the foam.

Main components list:
    - Runcam 2
    - One of the tiny cheap HK OSDs (just voltage and time)
    - ImmersionRC 700mw 2.4 Tx
    - Dragonlink mini receiver
    - A 5v step down

Just one word of advice... watch your rates! First time I flew I almost crashed due to how sensitive the surfaces were... ended up giving 60% rates plus loads of expo!

Enjoy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4387.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	76145

Name:	IMG_4388.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	76147

Name:	IMG_3619.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	76148

Name:	IMG_3624.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	76149
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4386.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	76146