So, here's another little update...
I hooked up the PPM decoder in the cockpit and wired up all the servos (pan/tilt, control stick aileron/elevator, canard servo and thrust levers directly to that. By putting it in the top it means I can keep all the wiring self contained up there with only two inputs to deal with plugging in - the ppm stream and the camera feed.
I then made it hot pluggable, so when I slide the canopy into place it automatically hooks up the connections. I still need to do the canard servo link in the same way since the canard servo of course remains in the airframe. Once done there will be absolutely nothing to plug or unplug when removing the canopy, and it will be a completely self contained unit.
Here you can see the underside of the cockpit, still need to tidy it up a bit but it's all working now... the PPM decoder is on the left hand side, and you can see the plug I made for the inputs.
And here you can see the opposite plug mounted in the fuselage (again some tidying to do here!), and then the cockpit fitted
In the mean time, I've also been getting on with the wings, but the carbon still hasn't arrived for the main spars so I won't bother posting pics yet. However I've installed the 5mm carbon rod at each far end, and decided they may as well be more structural, thus installed some aluminium tube into the fuselage for them to slide into. The wing is actually surprisingly solid just with these two rods installed.... should be perfect with the main spars too.