Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone really think Amazon will be flying drones all over delivering stuff?

Navigator

Does anyone really think Amazon will be flying drones all over delivering stuff?

I see the news stories and pictures of prototypes. But I really wonder, is it practical or just a publicity stunt.

Think of all the things that can go wrong. Yeah, the proximity sensing camera technology is amazing but can it prevent ever possible interference, every tree branch, every wire, every bird, every frisbee or ball some kids are tossing around. And all it would take is a small impact to bring something down that could hit a person or hit a car windshield causing a major accident. I just can't see these things ever flying over streets, sidewalks, houses and buildings.

And if these things are going to land, or drop stuff by cable, there's just too much temptation for vandals to take action that would cause them to crash.

Maybe for certain commercial situations where buildings had a dedicated and cordoned off landing area, like a mini helipad on a roof or deck, it could work. They have the things fly above a few hundred feet where there's no chance of impact by a stationary or moving object, other than a bird) might be possible in some locations. But there's still the risk of technical failure.

I just don't see it happening. What do you think?
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

I see it happening... just not real soon, however the tech for doing this very thing is growing by leaps and bounds right now

You forgot kids with sling shots and nothing better to do I don't see it happening until there is a better power supply, as it sits the weight capacity/endurance is just not there IMO.

Pilot
    Doesn't make sense to me it seems incredibly inefficient with the volume of packages Amazon ships. How does it make sense that one drone that will probably cost thousands of dollars and can only cary one small item at a time just a few miles then to come back and require service inspection battery recharge or replacement before being able to deliver another single item? They would need hundreds of these things in every town across the country to serve everyone, then they'd need a warehouse in every town in order to have that product for your 30 minute delivery? Else they only provide the service in select locations serving only a tiny tiny fraction of their customers.

Compare to that big brown truck that can stock up with thousands of pounds of stuff at a regional dispatch center then drive through my neighborhood dropping packages one by one at each house on the street as necessary.

Heck Amazon can't even figure out how to efficiently package anything now. I have to take a truckload of cardboard to the recycle center every week because Amazon routinely ships me little tiny items in huge boxes filled with that air cushion stuff. I think their warehouse workers are probably so pressed for speed, it's easier for them to drop an item in a giant box and fill it with air packing, than to think about how to fit it in an appropriate box.

I would order stuff just to steal the drone
    "RSSI on the OSD? No, it just make me nervous..."

Correction: No more nervous with TBS Crossfire!

I've also thought... I have a nice big piece of carbon fiber cloth that should shield from gps signal. When the neighbor gets his package, ill be getting a new machine...

Navigator
    Not going to happen anytime soon.

As a proof of concept, and a little publicity, a brewery put out a video of delivering some suds to ice fishermen.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/31/tech/i...eer-drone-faa/

Navigator
    So all the news articles and videos of the booming drone delivery services in China isn't really happening???

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/dr.../#.VqFPOes7arY
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is because obviously it doesn't have enough bells and whistles as it is...

Navigator
    Thanks for the link. 500 drone deliveries per day is a good start.

"SF Express is the country’s largest mail carrier, and it presently delivers roughly 500 packages a day via drone."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast