Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT: BEC on ESC and Avoiding high current system ground loops

FPV Legendary Loser Mark Hitchman's Avatar
    Technically you still have a ground loop but if the CC BEC connection point is very close to the current sensor everything will be good.
    Nice drawing too

Mark

yup as mark said. If you move you finger along the bec line to the OSD then back along the current sensor it is a loop. I have the same connection setup and sublime said that will be okay. You can remove the ground from the bec to the rx but I have been told that I should be okay.

running two batteries on an easy* that size is creating a fair bit of weight though. You could go with the 4000mAh and save weight. what is your total weight so far?
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

Mark, Whakahere thanks for the info.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have a set of scales and have never weighed my plane. Up til now I've stayed with a two battery system because I viewed it as an easier set up and, since I haven't been flying long distance, didn't have much concern about the difference in weight and reliability. Now I can see that I need to pay more attention to the wiring, so I guess I might as well go to a single battery system and get it over with.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    yup as mark said. If you move you finger along the bec line to the OSD then back along the current sensor it is a loop. I have the same connection setup and sublime said that will be okay. You can remove the ground from the bec to the rx but I have been told that I should be okay.

running two batteries on an easy* that size is creating a fair bit of weight though. You could go with the 4000mAh and save weight. what is your total weight so far?

unplugged
    Yep, I believe I just toasted my Zeph. 80MPH nose dive!! Due to the exact brown out you are talking about. I want to be sure for my rebuild. What i should do is to only take the signal wire from the esc (yellow) and the power wire from my ccbec (red) to power my DL/RX? In which case the ground wire from the PPM plug going to my (hopefully OK) DOSD+ will act as the ground for the DL/RX. Is my line of thinking correct without being a ground loop through the RX??

Quote Originally Posted by Danub View Post
    Yep, I believe I just toasted my Zeph. 80MPH nose dive!! Due to the exact brown out you are talking about. I want to be sure for my rebuild. What i should do is to only take the signal wire from the esc (yellow) and the power wire from my ccbec (red) to power my DL/RX? In which case the ground wire from the PPM plug going to my (hopefully OK) DOSD+ will act as the ground for the DL/RX. Is my line of thinking correct without being a ground loop through the RX??
    Yes only have the signal wire from your esc going to your tx. I still have the ground from my bec to my rx. The easiest method is to post up your wiring diagram and let people take a look through it.
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

unplugged
    JBeauford,
    In your diagram the ccbec signal wire is going to the DL/RX
    and the signal wire from the castle 45amp esc is going to PWM3 on the DOSD+.
    I don't understand why both signal wires to 2 places. Is that correct? I would think the signal wire from the 45amp castle to the DOSD+ would drive the ESC? I ask as I rebuild from ground loop issue? just tryin to learn
    Last edited by Danub; 11th April 2011 at 09:52 PM.

I see what you mean. First thing I need to say it that I'm still learning about this whole wiring thing myself, so please bear that in mind. I hooked the CC BEC to the DL Tx for the sole purpose of supplying power to the servos connected to the PWM connections on the DOSD. I hooked it to channel 8 on the DL TX because 8 is an unused channel in my set up. To be honest, I really didn't think about the CC BEC signal wire, I just connected it because that's the way it showed it in the directions that came with the CC BEC. I don't think the CC BEC signal wire carries a throttle signal, but I'm really not sure about that. I am fairly sure that I want the ESC signal wire connected to PWM 3 because I want the DOSD to control the throttle while in auto pilot. Now that you mention it, I'm not really sure what to do about the CC BEC signal wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Danub View Post
    JBeauford,
    In your diagram the ccbec signal wire is going to the DL/RX
    and the signal wire from the castle 45amp esc is going to PWM3 on the DOSD+.
    I don't understand why both signal wires to 2 places. Is that correct? I would think the signal wire from the 45amp castle to the DOSD+ would drive the ESC? I ask as I rebuild from ground loop issue? just tryin to learn

Great read. Just doing my homework for the Skylark OSD that I'll be plumbing as early as tonight.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Who I am^^ Stuff I Say>> Reverand Blue Chip's Avatar
    I may do the same... I have popped 2 current sensors on my OSD.... I have NO idea why.

Will the current sensor rail / lead take the current needed to power say a 1 watt vtx, camera, and the current for the servos etc powered off Bec and Osd too ?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast