Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT: BEC on ESC and Avoiding high current system ground loops

Navigator
    I had some very strange problems on my quadcopter. And maybe its an Ground Loop. This is my setup atm:

http://s10.postimg.org/s3jsn6vcp/my_esc_config.png

At first I will disconnect the GND from the ESC`s. Should I remove the GND from the +Batt at the Naze32 also?

Navigator
    If u remove both the esc and naze ground then the naze won't get any power. All devices need a ground to function.

I think this thread describes what happened to me.

I had the SBEC (5A) connector of my ESC (ZTW Mantis 65A) running to the throttle output on EagleTree vector, to power (6)
    HS-65MG micro servos and the Dragon Link RX on the EagleTree vector servo bus.
    The ESC was behaving odd. At minimum throttle it would spin the motor up in a burst and cut out as I continued to move the throttle, finally start spinning again at about 1/4 throttle. I could hold the plane and throttle up to max, but it would stop after about 10 seconds at max throttle and I heard a beep from the ESC.

Took it back to the bench and was attempting to put the ESC into programming mode because I suspected timing settings needed adjusting. I screwed up and the motor spun up to max throttle for about 5 seconds and we saw smoke. After unhooking everything we found the ESC servo connector had burned on the ground wire.

Last edited by jdoyle; 14th May 2016 at 08:19 PM.

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    what do you mean by "screwed up"? That looks like a bit more than a little ground loop.
    The behavior you described sounds more like blown capacitors on the ESC. It's hard to tell from your picture but are the tops of the caps rounded at all? (even slightly?) Long-ish power wires from the battery can cause this. Also, if all 6 servos were moving simultaneously then it's not unthinkable that they could be pulling more than 5A combined for a short burst, which might brown-out the ESC and reset its endpoints.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

When I say screwed up, I mean I had the ESC already powered on when I turned the radio on at max throttle, instead of powering on the ESC while the radio was already on at max throttle (I got the procedure reversed in my head).

Caps are not rounded, not even slightly. I had great results with this ESC without the Vector in the system. Flew great, no indication of brown outs or any such issues.

I tested the system when I got home with a separate battery and separate BEC(Castle 20A) to power just the servos and RX and it works, so luckily I didn't fry my current sensor or the Vector.
    I'm going to solder a new lead on my ESC and give it another got WITHOUT a power/ground cable connected to the ESC.
    Last edited by jdoyle; 14th May 2016 at 10:27 PM.

I take it back. It looks like either the current sensor or the vector or both are fried. The ESC works if I hook it up by itself, but does not respond when connected through the Vector. Can't say I'm suprised.

I'm using an ET Vector with a single battery and using the ESC's bec to power the servos via the Vector's bypass as per instructions. Should I consider removing the ground between the ESC and the Vector?
    I will be adding a bec to the circuit in due course but wondering if at least eliminating the ESC's bec earth will help.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is straight from the Vector manual:

"With typical fixed wing electric model wiring, the ESC’s BEC is connected to the Vector’s throttle output channel. This BEC powers the servos, and all servos are connected to the Vector’s servo outputs. If you have this configuration, please skip this section."

WTH?! No indication that anything I had setup was wrong.

What the manual indicates is that you can safely run servos from the vector with its capability to pass 12v from the bec on a separate circuit to the rest of the OSD. While that's the great thing about the vector, I don't think they (like all manufacturers) consider the issue of multiple ground loops. Hence my question. Then again I've completed several hours of flight time on my vector without a hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first fpv

Hello,
    I am in the middle to construction of my first fpv craft. Below You will find attached wiring of my plane. Should I change anything ?
    Mind the current sensor. It is installed only to positive on the main line and it is not grounded in any way there. Here is the sensor I use: http://www.pitlab.com/fpv-system/current-sensor.html

Also:
    Should I use ground between camera and OSD or the ground through bec is ok?
    Should I use ground between bec and AP ?

As for Kanapka - there is common ground between AP and OSD.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagram.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	72655
    Best Regards
    Michal

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast