Thread: EzUHF Tx power toggle-switch question

Navigator

Question EzUHF Tx power toggle-switch question

I have a question regarding the power toggle-switch on the top of the EzUHF Tx that is used to switch between high and low power modes. According to the manual it is recommended to fly in low-power mode most of the time, switching to high-power mode if required.

It seems as if there philosophy is to fly in the low power mode until you have a problem and then switch to the high power mode. Is there a problem with flying always flying in the high power mode and avoiding the “problem” all together?

When flying my TBS Disco I like to avoid problems and long hikes
    Last edited by muabg; 26th April 2015 at 07:32 PM.

Well.... if you fly in high power mode and you happen to fly behind something or have other issues with the signal getting to you craft then you will have no second chance to 'up the power' and save the craft....

Navigator
    Ok then why not always fly in the “up the power” to try to avoid the problem to begin with?

You are missing the point.You can still have a problem in high power.That problem might be a little farther out or farther behind something but when it does happen you will have no reserve power or backup plan.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by muabg View Post
    Ok then why not always fly in the “up the power” to try to avoid the problem to begin with?
    +1 with all the suggestions & reasons....Just fly in LOW Power mode until you need HIGH Power, plus you'll use a lot less TX battery power in LOW Power mode as well. Use high power when you RSSI levels have started to get to a critical point.

Navigator
    I'm setup with the ezUHF tx on a pole, paired with an Futaba 2.4Ghz rx as relay to my Futaba t8j radio...hence the ezUHF always stays on high power output.

Quote Originally Posted by muabg View Post
    It seems as if there philosophy is to fly in the low power mode until you have a problem and then switch to the high power mode. Is there a problem with flying always flying in the high power mode and avoiding the “problem” all together?
    Think about what you're asking. If you fly in high power all the time you have no out if you do need to boost the signal, so you're not avoiding the problem, you're merely making sure you have no reserve when you happen to hit a dead spot and the link is dropped.
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC