Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: World speed record with 250mm (or under) size quad

Last stuff bis here, Super F4 FC, only 20x20mm

Now that batteries are done, I need to make a mold replicating their shape.
    I cut it from a block of wood and put a coat of resin first for primer and filler not to soak into it:

After filler/primer/sanding/painting session I have a mold, 0.5mm bigger than my batteries. They should slide in tightly and after a flight I'm probably gonna have some fun taking them out due to their expansion...

Did a test making a fiberglass sheet, degassing chamber and vacuum pump works OK, all is ready to go. My little station:

Mold is waxed with carnauba wax, 2 coats of PVA release agent is on, lets start cutting my fancy carbon/kevlar cloth. I made some decals from paper, put masking tape on the cloth, traced decals, cut it out. Masking tape makes cuts clean and doesn't mess up the edges when applying resin with a roller, yet after cloth is soaked in resin it peels off clean and easily.
    Pay attention to weave pattern- one is 90deg, other layer is 30deg and last is 60deg. By mixing weave pattern direction I'll have more torsional strength than just going same direction with all 3 layers. Guessing that 3 layers will be enough and will give me approx 0.7mm walls (I think it is 180gr/sqm cloth), barring in mind that it's a molded box. We'll find that out in a few days

If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Phanny: Good solid record.... Congrats. You deserve the warm and fuzzy feeling of pride.

Robo... Its so nice to see you back at it. There are so many smart, creative people here on the lab, but you have something very special. Looking forward to this season of amped up quads with robo and friends.

Thanks bro! Looking forward to your fastest plane as well, seems it stalled a bit? I wasn't into molding that much but with these records I have to step up a notch if I want to be on top. That saying, your composite plane implanted an idea in my head- I'll eventually build a composite Alula style DLG glider
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    Derrick:

Navigator
    Following this!

Do you think that flipping the motors might give you better speed and cooling?
    Limits are there to be broken, records are set to be exceeded.

GB

Quote Originally Posted by Userofmuchtape&glue View Post
    Following this!

Do you think that flipping the motors might give you better speed and cooling?
    Cooling is not an issue, there's plenty either way, but I believe I'll get more speed with motors inverted as there will be no disturbed airflow under the props. Motors themselves are 30mm diameter, that's already a loss from 5in prop disc airflow. There's a lot of debate about this in airplane world and some are saying that nothing is gained as prop gets already obstructed airflow but i disagree as the most fastest rc airplanes are with pusher setups. Small prop can't have big motor behind it, it needs clean space behind it
    Derrick:

Navigator
    Oh yeah, that all makes sense.

So how do ya land it?
    Limits are there to be broken, records are set to be exceeded.

GB

I don't land it, I just drop it from as low as I can, more or less like my any other miniquad landings, every time
    Derrick:

My molding process and peeled. Whether I'm happy with it I'll find out when I take out of the mold, cut to size, check the weight and strength.

Derrick:

I've failed, but yet again I learned a lot so lets start about the things I like

I like that I was able to guess the thickness to exact 0.7mm. I might start guessing lotto numbers...

I like the weight:

I definitely like stiffness and strength!!! (I'm 85kg weight standing on it)

I like how battery fits spot on:

No the feckups...
    1. Masking tape was suppose to peel of easily when cloth is soaked in resin but it didn't come off as easy as I was testing with water. Obviously because resin is more thicker consistency. I wrecked cloth's edges while trying to peel it off and it took extra time, and I was running low on working time as resin started to set slowly. I still made it to finish but that not good, I have to find other solution how to cut a cloth as cutting as it is leaves rough edges with strands getting loose.
    2. I didn't seal the bag properly and didn't have a proper vacuum. Quickly adding a second bag fixed that, but still, I have to be more prepared for this.
    3. It's a big no no to make a mold from solid materials like wood if molding on top. It didn't stick to the mold and waxing/PVA was all good, but due to larger surface area I wasn't able to pull out or hammer out the mold. I wrecked the mold and damaged the piece while taking it out:

4. I've read and heard about kevlar being a nightmare to process after molding is done but of course I had to experience it myself... how else will I learn things? LOL From the pic you see how carbon strands are sanded nice and kevlar strands are all fluff. Rough sanding, smooth sanding, soak in thin CA and sanding after, nothing helps and strands still fluffs. I can't cut any holes or anything without leaving a fluffy edges. For molding in a plug it will do where you don't need to touch it after but for this I'll have to use carbon fiber cloth.

Derrick:

Nice robo!!!

But I think the thickness is more like .725 +/- .002

Yeah, the carbon fluffies are a menace aren't they....

Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast