Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: World speed record with 250mm (or under) size quad

Quote Originally Posted by Phanny-P View Post
    ETA on fly time? Your build is just waiting on the motors?
    I don't have batteries yet, my builds start from batteries Once I'll have them I'll have to solder them my own way (therefor I'll have to build a spot welder), and knowing their size I will know my componnet placement and size of a quad for it just about to fit 5in props.
    Congrats on the speed bro!
    O.T. your nickname puts a smile on my face Dunno which part of the world you're from, but in Ireland or UK word fanny means ladies private parts LOL
    Last edited by Roboforcer X2000; 5th August 2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Typo, I'm better at operating a fretsaw than a cleverphone...
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Thats a smart way to go, I have a build in progress that is done that way- built around the battery.

I was waiting to see if you would say something about the name Decided on the Ph instead of F (makes more sense to me). I like to make people scratch their heads. Learnt the meaning at work a few years back. We had several people from Inchinnan (Rolls Royce) stay over here (Michigan) for weeks on end. Great people, raunchy mouths on that bunch (I thought I had a mouth) but it was all good stuff.

Delusion- maybe we will cross paths sometime, but I'm such a lone wolf (unintentional) that it might take awhile! The institution doesn't let me out much. I can count on one foot how many people I have flown with...

Navigator
    Yeah, pretty much the same, never met another fpv guy in the wild, other than at a couple of events I've been to. Got a couple of local guys started in the hobby but that's about it.

If the rain holds off today I'll grab some pics and video of the current build. Need to cut another frame out, current one is kind of hacked together out of my first build just to test the + layout. Components really don't fit so it's got a few lumps on it where just had to make stuff fit.

Oh lads, yas so got me shit boiling on this... LOL
    Batteries ordered- http://www.genstattu.com/ta-rl2-0-10...0-4s1p-hv.html, 3pcs to make 2 6s ones. They're HV so I'm waiting on an answer whether my ESCs are capable for that extra 0.9v- http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....A-BLHELI_S-ESC. If not, I'll have to charge them only to 4.2v per cell, but by the paper specs these HV batteries are 10gr lighter than 95C 1.3A normal batteries. 4s is 163gr so my DIY 6s version from theoretical 245gr will go down to ~230gr as I always shorten leads to bare minimum and instead of longer wires with balance plug I resolder to servo 7pin connector with 32AWG wires, again, to bare minimum. From previously used Nano-puffs (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...450l-heli.html) that ALLEGEDLY give 100A (did you get that highlighting??? lol) I'll have an upgrade- roughly same weight battery that gives me more believable 130A and more voltage per cell.
    Previously for video I used this Vtx module (bare module without SMA or dipswitch)- http://www.himodel.com/FPV_Telemetry...Y_Package.html, but now I'll try to save even more weight. As I have Crossfire micro RX with DIY 1/8 wave (I think) antenna to reduce the size, I'll be using this little bugger for 2.4g video- http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-500mw-W...72.m2749.l2649. Yet again no SMA or dipswitch (it'll work with my Skylark 2.4g Vrx, will solder channels if needed) and to save weight even further I'll go for linear antenna instead of circular polarized. It is not decided yet as I'll have to do some tests whether I'll have any sort of watchable video for ~300m each direction from my standing point. That's all need The idea is to have tiny fins on the quad at the back bottom to house Vtx and Crossfire antennas on each side, instead of a bulky 5.8g CP antenna hiding under the canopy.
    I should get the batteries somewhere next week so I'll start building a spot welder tomorrow. I have carbon/kevlar cloth already, carbon thread is on the way, will pick up some resin from boat gear suppliers during the week, and will start disappearing to my mancave that nearly lead me to divorce number of times...
    That's what happens when I'm getting hyper on something
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    Derrick:

Navigator
    Got some testing in last night, will try to get a quick vid edited and uploaded tonight. Should have got the radar gun out. Tryed 8s on cyclone 5050 2 blade props, they flattened out lol. Hoping my order from apc shows up soon, need some more 5.2x6 and want to try the 5.1x5. Pretty sure from flipping back and forth on the dvr footage that the 5.2x6 on 6s is faster than the cyclones on 8s. Don't think the motors will survive 8s with the 5.2x6, so going to try the 5.1x5.

I am so excited that you are at it again Robo. Its such a joy to follow your work. The batteries ability to deliver juice will be of utmost importance, so I would choose carefully.

Navigator

Edited again and reuploaded, now audio is out of sync, a video editor I am not. Audio is from a gopro on the ground.

Still bunch of work to do. Not sold on the + layout, should theoretically be faster due to cleaner air, but roll and pitch authority is poor. Probably cut out another frame in a week or two after I get done testing this one. Will snap photos and do a full build log when I do that. Have 6 quads down for repair at the moment, got a bit stir crazy with this wet and windy spring, built too much shit lol.

225mm +quad, Vertical arms, 4mm carbon
    Cyclone 5050 2 blade prop (not stiff enough, but didn't want to smoke it on the maiden)
    Cobra 2210 2200kv
    Aikon 45A Esc
    Nano Omnibus 20x20 FC
    FrSky XM+ receiver
    Eachine VTX03
    2g cmos crap cam 65* tilt
    6a 5v bec (much smaller and lighter 1.5a on the way)
    396g (325g is the motors and ESC's lol)
    2x 1500mah 4s in series
    740g AUW
    Last edited by DelusioNFPV; 8th August 2017 at 09:59 PM.

Nice video Delusionfpv! Very jealous of the sound, I have none Not sure if I mentioned, but I try not to look at other builds but that layout is very interesting - I like the innovation. I know that config has been around, but never actually saw one fly, let alone move like that! Great to see you have the VTX03 - just bout one for a build (a race frame I built). I can identify with the derelict frames - way too many built, taken apart, torn apart, flown only once, transferring electronics....

Robo - as stated above, just skimmed thru your post but I can tell the the attention to detail is intense. Don't let your shit boil over on account of us - after all, I'm just a phanny

I had a couple good runs today but not enough time to post vids, etc (maybe this weekend and after a few more runs). After crunching data, it hit 170.2 mph top, and 161.2 mph average over 100m opposite directions. Still on a 5s. As you can tell, a lot less wind this time. Blackbox showed motor 3 at 100% at wot while others at 90-95%. I realigned it and hopefully it gives me a little more.

Did it by the skin of my teeth. I didn't know til about 4.5 hours after the run when I looked at the GPS log (had it verified by a former Boeing R&D guy). On the first lipo, I did 1 pass, then realized I lost my gps lock on the next pass. Loitered around for a minute with no luck. Just before landing, I got a lock and put in 2 more passes (the ones shown in the vid) but thought I was an rch shy of the target. Next lipo, I THINK I had a prop fly apart and broke 2 arms and a plastic egg. Makes for an easy decision to move on tho the next project. I fully expect us to start leap frogging - but I have noticed (as did Robo) temp has a huge impact on the speed passes. Warm weather will be on its way out soon...

Blackbox Log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw5...ew?usp=sharing
    Decoded GPS log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw5...ew?usp=sharing
    How the data is analyzed: https://downanddirtydrones.com/gps-data-analysis/
    Last edited by Phanny-P; 13th August 2017 at 09:51 PM.

Nice!!!
    Flicked through your blog as well, good stuff mate!
    Derrick:

Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast