Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My tests of prop sizes VS flight times VS prop brand.

Navigator

My tests of prop sizes VS flight times VS prop brand.

Here are some of my findings regarding props and battery in relation to flight times.

All tests are performed in the same conditions and at a stationary hover for precisely 10 minutes. Also all test are well above any ground effect, performed at a height of 8 meters.

Amount of mAh consumed is measured by amounts charger needed to recharge pack to full again after run. (Sorry my in-flight static consumption was not available yet as my OSD had not arrived yet)

The test setup configuration;

Controller-
    Naza M V2 (flashed from a Naza Lite to a V2 *easy quick and well worth the effort IMO)

Frame-
    Aimdroix Frame in Y6 configuration.
    Arms are the Aimdroix extended Aluminum Arms V2

Motors-
    T-motor MN4014-11 KV-330 (matched set motors)

ESC-
    T-motor S45A Pre-flashed with Simon-K firmware

Battery (except where noted different)-
    4S-Lipo Single pack, 8000mAh

Environment related data-
    1045m (3428 ft) Humidity 37% Barometric Press 101 kPa Wind 2kph Temp 13c (55.4f)

Test1-
    T-motor props 16x5.4 (top and bottom)
    mAh consumed = 4006 mAh

Test2-
    Gemfan props 16x5.5 (top and bottom)
    mAh consumed = 4654 mAh

Test3-
    Gemfan props 14x5.5 (top)
    Gemfan props 16x5.5 (bottom)
    mAh consumed = 4589 mAh
    *experienced undesirable YAW slowly to the right. Could not correct.....?

Test5- (Note: battery and configuration changes!)
    Quad copter
    T-motor Props 16x5.4
    4s mAh consumed = 3231
    6s mAh consumed = 3335 (much heavier battery 6s - 12500 mAh)

New tests will follow in the next week or so of the frame in an X8 setup, same motors etc.

Also of note I did try installing my Ariel mob arms from my TBS discovery frame just for interest. This allowed me to install up to 20" props on the frame (in an odd config of over under arrangement that overlapped the front and back blades in a quad configuration)

I also used a single Ariel mob arm for some other flight testing. This allowed me to use 18" props both top and bottom in the Y6 config because of the longer arm out back.

I have since switched back to the Aimdroix arms all around for the Aimdroix frame. A few reasons for this. When using the Ariel Mob arms I found that the very large carbon props picked a distinct resonating sound or vibration from my low KV t-motors. This did not occur with the aluminum Aimdroix arms at all.

When using a single Ariel Mob arm for the rear arm only on the Y6 setup, the issue remained but was not a pronounced. Almost like the vibrations had been feeding off of and into each other when in the configuration with only Ariel Mob arms.

I also found the Ariel Mob arms easier to incorrectly install without being level, resulting in tilted motors which causing stability problems. They are good arms on a smaller quad with smaller motors and diameter props, but didn't perform for me with large motors and larger diameter props.

Hope this info is of some use to you guys, let me know what you think.

The biggest surprise here for me was that dramatic increase in flight time gained from using the more expensive and better manufactured T-Motor props. I see up to 25-30% increases in my flight times from the prop change alone!
    Last edited by Flateric; 23rd August 2015 at 04:25 AM. Reason: spelling corrections and clarity changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flateric View Post
    Here are some of my findings regarding props and battery in relation to flight times.

All tests are performed in the same conditions and at a stationary hover for precisely 10 minutes. Also all test are well above any ground effect, performed at a height of 8 meters.

Amount of mAh consumed is measured by amounts charger needed to recharge pack to full again after run. (Sorry my inflight static consumption was not available yet as my OSD had not arrived yet)

The test setup configuration;

Controller-
    Naza M V2 (flashed from a Naza Lite to a V2 *easy quick and well worth the effort IMO)

Frame-
    Aimdroix Frame in Y6 configuration.
    Arms are the Aimdroix extended Aluminium Arms V2

Motors-
    Tmotor MN4014-11 KV-330 (matched set motors)

ESC-
    Tmotor S45A Preflashed with SimonK firmware

Battery (except where noted different)-
    4S-Lipo Single pack, 8000mAh

Environment related data-
    1045m (3428 ft) Humidity 37% Barometric Press 101 kPa Wind 2kph Temp 13c (55.4f)

Test1-
    Tmotor props 16x5.4 (top and bottom)
    mAh consumed = 4006 mAh

Test2-
    Gemfan props 16x5.5 (top and bottom)
    mAh consumed = 4654 mAh

Test3-
    Gemfan props 14x5.5 (top)
    Gemfan props 16x5.5 (bottom)
    mAh consumed = 4589 mAh
    *experienced undesirable YAW slowly to the right. Could not correct.....?

Test5- (Note: battery and configuration changes!)
    Quadcopter
    Tmotor Props 16x5.4
    4s mAh consumed = 3231
    6s mAh consumed = 3335 (much heavier battery 6s - 12500 mAh)

New tests will follow in the next week or so of the frame in an X8 setup, same motors etc.

Also of note I did try installing my Arielmob arms from my TBS discovery frame just for interest. This allowed me to install up to 20" props on the frame (in an odd config of over under arrangement that overlapped the front and back blades in a quad configuration)

I also used a single Arielmob arm for some other flight testing. This allowed me to use 18" props both top and bottom in the Y6 config because of the longer arm out back.

I have since switched back to the Aimdroix arms all around for the Aimdroix frame. A few reasons for this. When using the AM arms I found that the very large carbon props picked a notable resonating sound and vibration from my low KV motors. This did not occur with the aluminium arms at all. When using a single AM arm out back on the Y6 setup it still occured but didnt seem to be as bad or feed the resonations off each other from the other arms since they were not there. A bigger problem for me was the fact that they are easier to install of level and tilted which caused many stability problems. So they are wonderful arms on a smaller quad with smaller motors but didnt perform for me with large motors and a large frame.

Hope this info is of some use to you guys, let me know what you think.
    Very interesting all the findings that you posted here. So you are using 16 in props with the aluminum arms? Can you post some pictures?

Navigator
    At the time of the posted tests I was not using the aluminum arms. I am now though. I am using the spacers for the coaxial setup to raise the front motors up, rather than the intended down. Currently running the frame in a quad configuration with 16" t-motor props. I will post some pics soon. The props do overlap front to back by approx 1" but no danger of inter prop collision due to the height difference created by the spacer.

Even with this overlap I am really satisfied with my flight this evening a new personal record duration of 35 minutes in the air! I'm running a single 6s 12500mAh lipo. I'm using 330kv Tmotors and 45a tmotor esc. It seems I still had some space left for flight time too, but we will wait for all the numbers to come in before I can say how much. But very promising.

I may try cutting my own aluminium arms for even bigger props to see if this improves my times even more. I have a cnc mill handy here at home.

Navigator
    Will 15" props fit without any modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by 0100 View Post
    Will 15" props fit without any modifications?
    The Y6 will fit 15in props and the quad up to 14in props.
    Last edited by MAYMIDROIX; 27th June 2015 at 01:28 PM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYMIDROIX View Post
    The Y6 will fit 15in props and the quad up to 14in props.
    Cool thanks! How about 16" props on the Y6 without mods? Looks like flateric did this.

I wonder what is more efficent for a Long Range build, a quad 4 with 14's or a Y6 with 15's or a Y6 with 16's?
    Last edited by 0100; 27th June 2015 at 09:41 PM.

Navigator
    Quad 4 with 14" props will be your most efficient combo for long range endurance. My tests with the 16" props were with none standard arms that were not included with the kit. I have since switched back to the standard Aimdroix extended length aluminium arms for a number of reasons.

And even better is to use tmotor props. They are pricey yes, but they really do make a substantial difference in flight times. I speculate this is due to the prop profile and more important it's overall lighter weight.

Navigator
    Ok cool, totally new to endurance quads. It looked like most endurance guys were going with big props with low Kv motors.

Navigator
    Yes, this is correct, the lower kv, larger prop with 6s power seems to generally be the combination sought after for better endurance.

Navigator
    Ok thanks Flateric.