Here are some of my findings regarding props and battery in relation to flight times.
All tests are performed in the same conditions and at a stationary hover for precisely 10 minutes. Also all test are well above any ground effect, performed at a height of 8 meters.
Amount of mAh consumed is measured by amounts charger needed to recharge pack to full again after run. (Sorry my in-flight static consumption was not available yet as my OSD had not arrived yet)
The test setup configuration;
Naza M V2 (flashed from a Naza Lite to a V2 *easy quick and well worth the effort IMO)
Aimdroix Frame in Y6 configuration.
Arms are the Aimdroix extended Aluminum Arms V2
T-motor MN4014-11 KV-330 (matched set motors)
T-motor S45A Pre-flashed with Simon-K firmware
Battery (except where noted different)-
4S-Lipo Single pack, 8000mAh
Environment related data-
1045m (3428 ft) Humidity 37% Barometric Press 101 kPa Wind 2kph Temp 13c (55.4f)
T-motor props 16x5.4 (top and bottom)
mAh consumed = 4006 mAh
Gemfan props 16x5.5 (top and bottom)
mAh consumed = 4654 mAh
Gemfan props 14x5.5 (top)
Gemfan props 16x5.5 (bottom)
mAh consumed = 4589 mAh
*experienced undesirable YAW slowly to the right. Could not correct.....?
Test5- (Note: battery and configuration changes!)
T-motor Props 16x5.4
4s mAh consumed = 3231
6s mAh consumed = 3335 (much heavier battery 6s - 12500 mAh)
New tests will follow in the next week or so of the frame in an X8 setup, same motors etc.
Also of note I did try installing my Ariel mob arms from my TBS discovery frame just for interest. This allowed me to install up to 20" props on the frame (in an odd config of over under arrangement that overlapped the front and back blades in a quad configuration)
I also used a single Ariel mob arm for some other flight testing. This allowed me to use 18" props both top and bottom in the Y6 config because of the longer arm out back.
I have since switched back to the Aimdroix arms all around for the Aimdroix frame. A few reasons for this. When using the Ariel Mob arms I found that the very large carbon props picked a distinct resonating sound or vibration from my low KV t-motors. This did not occur with the aluminum Aimdroix arms at all.
When using a single Ariel Mob arm for the rear arm only on the Y6 setup, the issue remained but was not a pronounced. Almost like the vibrations had been feeding off of and into each other when in the configuration with only Ariel Mob arms.
I also found the Ariel Mob arms easier to incorrectly install without being level, resulting in tilted motors which causing stability problems. They are good arms on a smaller quad with smaller motors and diameter props, but didn't perform for me with large motors and larger diameter props.
Hope this info is of some use to you guys, let me know what you think.
The biggest surprise here for me was that dramatic increase in flight time gained from using the more expensive and better manufactured T-Motor props. I see up to 25-30% increases in my flight times from the prop change alone!