Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X8 EVO ONE questions?

Aerial Dilettante
    The multiplicity of ESCs required for an X8-build made me choose to go with the EMAX 4-in-1 units. I have used these paired-up on an AD-1 in a similar manner. Wiring it all together is a tussle – but in the end works out neater. However, the capacitors stick out from the ESC housings and are "delicate" – one came unsoldered and it was a royal bitch to re-do it. Handle with care and protect them.

I was hoping to stack my two ESCs on the "lower deck" – however – and unfortunately – the space between the undercarriage plate and the one above is just not quite enough. Consequently the EMAX units occupy virtually the whole of the first level space... Still building – but when nearer completion, will post some pics.

Re EMAX-4-in-1 units: I've read both good and bad about these and my own experience has tended to confirm that occasionally one can get a bad unit and one of the four boards can burn out: this happened on my AD-1.

The one advantage is that spares are available and they really do plug-in and out very easily. Again – beware the capacitors: I had one unit arrive with the capacitor actually rattling around in the box. HeadsUpRC – the supplier – immediately changed it out against sending back the defective unit.

If I get the lift I'm both expecting and hoping – as per the Designer's advice – I am intending to flip the camera-carrying plate upside down – for more down-clearance – so that I can fit a 3-axis Feiyu G3 Gimbal for GoPro 4... It may well be that I will need to go for some Motors with a bit more grunt than the current Emax 650 Kva driven by their currently intended 11" x 4.7 Tiger props... I guess I'lll just have to see.

Currently intending a Wookong M2 – but might just change that for something else – like the a Super X... (So far its working really well on the Octo-8 AD-1).
    Last edited by Djinnphiz; 29th August 2015 at 12:29 AM.

Navigator
    I choose to mount my ESC's to the sides of the arms with braided motor wiring. It is my belief that this allows for a little additional airflow and efficiency. Also keeps the weight towards the centre of the frame rather than further out and away on the arms. Cooling is excellent as well and I am using 16" props on both top and bottom motors with the extended arms in a Y6 arrangement.

my flight controller is the pixhack with an m8n gps.

I am using a G3 ultra gimbal and really prefer it over my zenmuse H3-3D gimbal that cost me more and offers less while requiring additionally more expensive DJI equipment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	65839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	65840

Quote Originally Posted by Djinnphiz View Post
    The multiplicity of ESCs required for an X8-build made me choose to go with the EMAX 4-in-1 units. I have used these paired-up on an AD-1 in a similar manner. Wiring it all together is a tussle but in the end works out neater. However, the capacitors stick out from the ESC housings and are "delicate" one came unsoldered and it was a royal bitch to re-do it. Handle with care and protect them.

I was hoping to stack my two ESCs on the "lower deck" however and unfortunately the space between the undercarriage plate and the one above is just not quite enough. Consequently the EMAX units occupy virtually the whole of the first level space... Still building but when nearer completion, will post some pics.

Re EMAX-4-in-1 units: I've read both good and bad about these and my own experience has tended to confirm that occasionally one can get a bad unit and one of the four boards can burn out: this happened on my AD-1.

The one advantage is that spares are available and they really do plug-in and out very easily. Again beware the capacitors: I had one unit arrive with the capacitor actually rattling around in the box. HeadsUpRC the supplier immediately changed it out against sending back the defective unit.

If I get the lift I'm both expecting and hoping as per the Designer's advice I am intending to flip the camera-carrying plate upside down for more down-clearance so that I can fit a 3-axis Feiyu G3 Gimbal for GoPro 4... It may well be that I will need to go for some Motors with a bit more grunt than the current Emax 650 Kva driven by their currently intended 11" x 4.7 Tiger props... I guess I'lll just have to see.

Currently intending a Wookong M2 but might just change that for something else like the a Super X... (So far its working really well on the Octo-8 AD-1).
    I think that if you install the battery under the bottom plate with the 3d printed battery mount that I make, it will be very easy to install the 2 4in1 escs between the top and bottom plate.

Aerial Dilettante
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYMIDROIX View Post
    I think that if you install the battery under the bottom plate with the 3d printed battery mount that I make, it will be very easy to install the 2 4in1 escs between the top and bottom plate.
    My "bad"... I should have stated that I originally was hoping to stack the two ESC's one on top of the other – and so have the mass well situated at the CG... However, there is about 2mm missing between the two plates that disallows this possibility: unless removing the EMAX's screws that hold the lid to the machined body of the unit and which protrude through from front to back.

In fact – as you do indeed say – there is sufficient space to fit them facing each other – capacitors inwards-directed towards each other – between the bottom and top boards. However, the 24 wires required for the 8 motors is what makes it all a very tight fit.

But it does work out OK with some judicious space-planning.

Navigator
    Djinnphiz, KVA 650 did not cut it for me I used 15x5.5 and still it barely lifted the x8. go with the big KVA 350 or 250 pancake motors that is the only way to get this very over weight frame off the ground and get decent flight times as well
    stay well
    Liam

Aerial Dilettante
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Djinnphiz, KVA 650 did not cut it for me I used 15x5.5 and still it barely lifted the x8. go with the big KVA 350 or 250 pancake motors that is the only way to get this very over weight frame off the ground and get decent flight times as well
    stay well
    Liam
    Thanks for that, Liam...If I go for the Tiger Antigravity 4006 Motors I'm looking at $600 for the set... (Any other suggestions...?)

Then I presume I'll have to change-out my EMAX 4-1 ESCs for the 30 Amp versions – which may not be enough...(?) What are you using as a combination of Motor / ESC / Prop (brand)...?

Plus the props cost and changing over to 6S cells for the 24V the T-motors require – which I don't "get" as, if they need 24v, where is that going to come from when a 22v, 6000 mAh 6s is going to be "underpowered" and also already weighs 930gms...!

Seems that all-in-all this is a much more expensive kit to get flying than it has been suggested by the manufacturer... Your commentary and further input appreciated...

Navigator

This frame is just two heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Djinnphiz View Post
    Thanks for that, Liam...If I go for the Tiger Antigravity 4006 Motors I'm looking at $600 for the set... (Any other suggestions...?)

Then I presume I'll have to change-out my EMAX 4-1 ESCs for the 30 Amp versions which may not be enough...(?) What are you using as a combination of Motor / ESC / Prop (brand)...?

Plus the props cost and changing over to 6S cells for the 24V the T-motors require which I don't "get" as, if they need 24v, where is that going to come from when a 22v, 6000 mAh 6s is going to be "underpowered" and also already weighs 930gms...!

Seems that all-in-all this is a much more expensive kit to get flying than it has been suggested by the manufacturer... Your commentary and further input appreciated...
    Djinnphiz yes way more expensive, Ok here was the config I was using, APM 2.6 flight controller/8 30amp spider ESC's flashed simonK with 8-KVA 650 tiger motors and 15x5.5 Gemfan props. Maiden flight it barley lifted out of its prop wash and ate the battery power up within a matter of minutes (5000Mah) note no go pro was attached at the time. I have some real questions for the guy who designed this, being almost all metal its lift to weight ratio is very hard to over come. Unlike my other quads this build is VERY costly and wasteful as far as money spent in trail and error testing. I am considering ordering KVA 300 tiger anti gravity 4004 but I am really hesitant on pulling the trigger due to past experiences. (Hiway if you read this please comment)
    Liam

Navigator
    I might just change it over to a quad

Aerial Dilettante
    Liam...

The Tiger Motor 650's are (a) lighter and (b) better performing than the Emax 650s that I bought for this project – so I guess I have little hope at all in seeing this thing fly in its existing iteration )

So – next step – as I'm determined to make it work ) Reconfiguration as follows:

– Tiger MB 4006 x 380 kv – 66 gms each and 16A continuous current – so I can stay with the existing EMAX 4-in1 25A ESCs. ($600 + $60)
    – Props: Quanum 15 x 4.5 CF - pancake designed. ($50 for the 8)
    – LiPo: 8000 mAh 4S 10C ($90)
    – SPRacing F3 Flight Controller ($80)
    – Command-and-Control TX: ImmersionRC 433 Mhz ($90) / (Taranis 9 Plus TX) / Horizon Antennas "Mini Gate" ($50)
    – Command-and-Control RX: ImmersionRC EzUHF diversity Rx ($125) with 2 x Active Robots 433Mr antenna – on aircraft ($18)
    – Other bits and pieces – BECs, Power Distribution Board, LEDs, Led Switch, Video Switch etc. – $120 approx)
    – (EVO One kit - $170.00)

– Ground Station 2.4 Ghz FPV: (2) x ImmersionRC UNO 2400 ($120) > Oracle Diversity RX ($110?) – with Horizon Antenna BLACKHAWK RHCP Spiral and NIMROD ($80)
    – FPV VTX: (To be decided)

I had bought a 3-axis Feiyu-Tech Go-Pro-4 gimbal for this ($250?) – but I'm wondering if the above combination will even have enough "oumph" to let that happen... We will see. It also means reversing the camera tray upside down to get the clearance...

(Prices approx. and from memory)

Works out at not a particularly cheap project... (Even though for FPV the Ground Station serves multiple aircraft with all-diversity 1.2 Ghz, 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz options.).

... I guess I have to put the stake in somewhere and start making it happen [And if it doesn't handle well, then I'll swop out these new motors motors to another Octo-8 project. As for the Emax's – Umm... "Stock" draw, I guess )]

By-the-by: I'm also building one of the AIMDROIX Blackhawk 250's – and have had to do quite a bit of mods on the frame to get everything that I want on it. MY choice, however: I'm not looking for a "Racer" profile on that one – but more a "Mini Video Scouting" platform.

Using:
    – T-Motor (x 4) 2000 kv
    – ESCs: Simon-K flashed, 12 amp, one shot
    – SPRacing F3 Flight Controller
    – FrSky 8XR Rx / Taranis 9 Plus TX
    – FPV: ImmersionRC 700 mw VTX x 5.8 Mhz – Horizon Antennas RHCP "Mini NIMROD" (for range and signal viability – even though flight profile will rarely be more than 1.5 kms)
    – FPV Groundstation: FrSky 632 Diversity RX / Horizon Antennas RHCP "Mini Blackhawk" 12 Db gain + Horizon Antennas "Mini NIMROD"
    – ... into Fatshark Dominator (direct V-signal connect).

The point is I DO like many of the AIMDROIX design and build concepts – the tilting motors possibility on the 250 Blackhawk and the solidity of the undercarriage on the EVO ONE, are two examples. However – they ARE both relatively "heavy" and need a LOT of grunt, it would seem.

Maybe making the EVO ONE as an Octo-8 with the extended arms was perhaps not such a good idea after all. But then again, I can't help wondering (realistically, that is – as opposed to Manufacturer's suggestions) – as to what size motors/batteries etc. are required on an EVO ONE X4 config to make it work in any kind of "at-all spunky" manner...

It would be REALLY good to hear the experiences of other EVO ONE builders – (and also any BLACKHAWK 250 owners – though there is a specific thread for those).

Aerial Dilettante
    Liam – re going Quad: Let us know what you end up doing..!! ))

I'm sure we'd all be very interested to read your comments if you go this route and there must also be other builders here who have already finished X4s...

(Though – logically – an X8 "ought" to offer a lot more power-to-weight grunt... It certainly did for my AD-1...)

Nevertheless, this may be the end-game solution. It has also occurred to me as an eventual possibility: after all, the had manufacturer originally designed it as an X4: with an X8 option.

[I get the feeling we are perhaps breaking new – maybe even inappropriate – ground by trying to go X8 with this model ) ]
    Last edited by Djinnphiz; 2nd September 2015 at 05:34 PM.