Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X8 EVO ONE questions?

wow you have a lot going on in that frame. Are you still going to install the batteries on the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by MAYMIDROIX View Post
    wow you have a lot going on in that frame. Are you still going to install the batteries on the bottom?
    Negative- they ride on the battery tray as designed. COG is dead nuts on the center of the pixhawk also. I can slide the bats forward and back to redistribute for the different gimbals. I can also add a third battery on the bottom and run parallel if I want- I doubt that is worth considering.

I have ez-uhf control, 5.8 video with it's own 3S lipo on the cam/fpv deck. There is a 3 axis gimbal underneath. The pixhawk has telemetry, and the additional red and black wiring is for the autentic marker lights I mentioned- red at port- green at starboard- 2 white beacons at tip with them, 2 white solid landing lights, and red beacons on the tail... in the night sky it will look legit.

The main wiring harness runs down the middle between the 2 lipos- there are (2) 5v BEC's and a 12v BEC in there- there are 5v BEC's on the esc's- I am waiting on a shotsky diode recitifier so I can build out the triple redundant powering for the pixhawk so it has the added failsafe. The 12v BEC powers the gimbal- one of the 5V BEC's powers the led marker system. I had this all drawn up before ever ordering the frame- all this gear came from my hex. The best part is I ended up cutting over 200 grams of wire weight off with this- but the frame ends up weighing in slightly over my previous hex... but only by the margin of the extra gopro and battery and technically a few grams lighter. Certainly a better design for how I used the craft I expect.

AUW on this without final maiden and confirmation but checked on the scales is at 3.73kg ... it's pretty brawny. Spinning options are 11.5 top and 10x5 below, or 12x6 top and 11x5 below - all Graupner CF balanced by yours truly. 8mm to 6mm prop ring adapters needed for the props on these Sunny Sky 380kv's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150115_222715_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	374.2 KB 
ID:	58324  
    dirty side down.....o~^o

Navigator

Angry

Hiway so you are using a pixhawk.....how would you compare it to the APM 2.6 from just a standard operators/pilots view?. The reason I ask is I have had to return 2 boards from 3DR and I am a really hesitant to pull the trigger on another one. First board HDOP stayed at 100.0 would not arm, second board had a voltage issue. After spending a lot of time on the phone with their tech's it was determined both were bad, I returned them and I am on my third board and now it will not arm. I have built 7 various quads with AMP 2.6 FC's for myself and friends and I have never run into this. I hope they are not starting to slip.
    So sorry for the long winded explanation I am just asking around about using a different FC.
    stay well
    Liam

I can only rave over the pixhawk.

Considering this FC has withstood the original build fumbling on the original hex, 2 minor low altitude crashes when setting it up many months ago on that hex, dozens of successful flights and experimentation setting up autonomous flights with Mission Planner, superb video and function and reliability, and has bounced back from the epic 100 foot fall that was the impetus for this Aimdroix build, I do not think I could ask for more.

I had already decided that is the pixhawk was trashed in the fall that would be my choice despite the cost.

Now- with that said, and knowing the nature of open source and guessing at the future- I can not discount using the APM. Keep in mind that platform has reached it's ultimate conclusion, and while the pixhawk and P4 seem to be no different, it is what the future features and abilities that interested me in the pixhawk. More processing power.

I have seen some grumblings out here regarding pixhawks in recent times, but it seems to coincide with the uptick in custom builds using it. I am experienced enough to know that every piece of hardware has potential to be troublesome and that QC can, and does drop when demand jumps- but from my own anecdotal experiences, I see a lot of user error out there. The pixhawk is tricky. It requires certain safety considerations and lots of reading. Setting one up can be simple- but the GUI in MP is daunting to someone used to a KK board for example... or a Naza.

If you are more comfortable with APM then you should use that. "Better" is subjective and opinions are like assholes- we all got 'em.
    dirty side down.....o~^o

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    I am sorry Liam- I have been so wrapped up in alienwii and micros the past few days, I have lost track of the threads and forums a little. I have halted my Evo build temporarily as I am waiting on diode rectifiers for redundancy powering on the pixhawk servo rail.
    I used a ball end hex on my assembly.http://kk.org/cooltools/files/2013/06/hex-2.jpg
    and put the standoffs and bottom motor on the plate first, and then using the round motor adapter plate Aimdroix sells on top to clear the button screws I attached the top motor last- that is the trickiest part as you need to slowly, and deliberately tighten those screws to fix the motor carefully as you are working at an angle- the ball end hex driver makes that task easier. I imagine you may be able to find a small "offset hex" driver that might fit between those plates but I doubt it. I dabbed the screw in a tiny bit of loktite as shown in my vid, and it is tight- only flight testing will tell if it backs out but I am very confident it will not- I used pancake style motors- so they are wider than yours I believe.

*Maybe I should emphasize the round adapter plates Matt sells- they are for wider motors- did you get a set? Did you see the note in my build video? Is that not the problem and I misunderstood?
    Where are you getting the Diode rectifier's from. I just realised my ESC's don't have BEC's so I need a back up for my Pixhawk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by courierdude View Post
    Where are you getting the Diode rectifier's from. I just realised my ESC's don't have BEC's so I need a back up for my Pixhawk as well.
    I see you is way south.... and down under the down under in the land of Kiwi

here is a European ebay link: http://www.ebay.de/bhp/schottky-diode

USA supplier with no minimums: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FSMV7Aod7VQAoA
    dirty side down.....o~^o

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    I see you is way south.... and down under the down under in the land of Kiwi

here is a European ebay link: http://www.ebay.de/bhp/schottky-diode

USA supplier with no minimums: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FSMV7Aod7VQAoA
    Thanks for that. I was thinking about using one of these, https://www.pololu.com/product/2107.
    Just hook it into one of the ESC servo leads. Did you say you had triple redundancy? What is the other one. 1/ Power module 2/ Your diode 3/ ?

Navigator
    I am taking your advice, I stuck with the APM. Sat down the other day and was determined to get it working and I did. Seems a simple mistake was made on my end in the radio settings, Aileron, Rudder and Elevator need to be reversed on the radio, I blew right past it. Did the maiden works great. Onward through the fog!
    Stay well
    Liam
    -20 wind chill tonight burr

Quote Originally Posted by courierdude View Post
    Thanks for that. I was thinking about using one of these, https://www.pololu.com/product/2107.
    Just hook it into one of the ESC servo leads. Did you say you had triple redundancy? What is the other one. 1/ Power module 2/ Your diode 3/ ?
    Sorry courierdude- I totally missed this post.

I have 5v from the main harness via heavy duty BEC going to the powermodule for main powering. I have another lead off the harness to another heavy duty 5v BEC, and 1 of the 40amp 5v BEC"s both feeding into a shottky diode rectifier which determines which BEC is passing the higher voltage of the 2 and passes it- should one of those 2 BEC's fail, the rectifier will grab the other.
    dirty side down.....o~^o

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I am taking your advice, I stuck with the APM. Sat down the other day and was determined to get it working and I did. Seems a simple mistake was made on my end in the radio settings, Aileron, Rudder and Elevator need to be reversed on the radio, I blew right past it. Did the maiden works great. Onward through the fog!
    Stay well
    Liam
    -20 wind chill tonight burr
    WOOT! Great news and the APM allows for mavlink. Flying with fire now!
    dirty side down.....o~^o