Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X8 EVO ONE questions?

Navigator

X8 EVO ONE questions?

I have come to a dead stop on my build, I am building an X8 with mine and have run into a problem. Seems that if you use a motor wider than 1 inch (I am using KV 650's) it covers up the mounting holes for the second motor underneath, unless you have a super small ratchet and use M3X7 socket or 2.0 mm wrench for the button heads to fit between the motors it is physically impossible to mount the second motor on the arm. Am I missing something really simple here
    Last edited by Liam; 7th February 2015 at 06:47 PM.

I am sorry Liam- I have been so wrapped up in alienwii and micros the past few days, I have lost track of the threads and forums a little. I have halted my Evo build temporarily as I am waiting on diode rectifiers for redundancy powering on the pixhawk servo rail.
    I used a ball end hex on my assembly.http://kk.org/cooltools/files/2013/06/hex-2.jpg
    and put the standoffs and bottom motor on the plate first, and then using the round motor adapter plate Aimdroix sells on top to clear the button screws I attached the top motor last- that is the trickiest part as you need to slowly, and deliberately tighten those screws to fix the motor carefully as you are working at an angle- the ball end hex driver makes that task easier. I imagine you may be able to find a small "offset hex" driver that might fit between those plates but I doubt it. I dabbed the screw in a tiny bit of loktite as shown in my vid, and it is tight- only flight testing will tell if it backs out but I am very confident it will not- I used pancake style motors- so they are wider than yours I believe.

*Maybe I should emphasize the round adapter plates Matt sells- they are for wider motors- did you get a set? Did you see the note in my build video? Is that not the problem and I misunderstood?
    Last edited by Hiway; 31st January 2015 at 07:17 PM.
    dirty side down.....o~^o

Navigator
    Thanks and it worked perfect, not as tight as I would like them to be but with loctite I am sure it will hold.
    Again a Really sincere thanks.
    Liam

Navigator
    I found a ball end Hex driver to be essential for this also.

Quote Originally Posted by Flateric View Post
    I found a ball end Hex driver to be essential for this also.
    Cool, where you got it. It might actually good to find a source for those.

Navigator
    Yes, it worked well with the extra plates and the ball hex wrench, anybody got a picture of there ESC placement? Of course on mine I have 8 ESC's so I really don't want to sandwich them together, as I saw that on a factory built hex 8 from 3DR I am just too leary to do that, there might be excessive heat build up.
    Liam

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYMIDROIX View Post
    Cool, where you got it. It might actually good to find a source for those.
    Definitely include it in your build notes

I have tried several times to upload pics here, and to photobucket- something is haywire.
    I am mounting esc's on the arms. You have plenty of room, and you can place 2 top and 2 under and stagger them. This will distribute weight excellent, and allow the deck to be free and clear top and bottom for battery options or accessories like gimbals.
    I need to figure this upload issue and then can post pics.
    dirty side down.....o~^o

Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    I have tried several times to upload pics here, and to photobucket- something is haywire.
    I am mounting esc's on the arms. You have plenty of room, and you can place 2 top and 2 under and stagger them. This will distribute weight excellent, and allow the deck to be free and clear top and bottom for battery options or accessories like gimbals.
    I need to figure this upload issue and then can post pics.
    If you have the pictures in photobucket, there is an option somewhere where you just copy the URL and paste it here.

Quote Originally Posted by MAYMIDROIX View Post
    If you have the pictures in photobucket, there is an option somewhere where you just copy the URL and paste it here.
    Yes- I know. I was having ISP problems- DNS server to be exact. All sorted.

Here are a few pics- sneak peeks as it were of my current build showing the esc's on the arms.

Please excuse my mess- I am one of those eccentric, genius, disorganized types minus the genius:

dirty side down.....o~^o