FPVLAB

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FAA and the UAS ARC - SIGN THIS PETITION!!

I'm not sure the FAA regulates commerce, it just provides different rules/privileges to those who fly commercially. In general if you are making money your equipment is held to a higher standard and your flight skills are as well. History has shown when there is money to be made more risks are taken. In order to provide a minimum level of safety rules have been put in place to limit risk to passengers, the public and the pilots that fly.

It is draconiann what they have done lumping a 3lb multicopter into the same category as a 2000lb 'drone' but their decision is conservative. All things consideed the FAA is pretty lenient, you basically have to screw up to get in trouble...e.g. crash or post video of you doing something sensational. There isn't an equivalent of traffic cops running around.

My dad has been writing letters to politicians my whole life. You can write all the letters you want, but there are only two ways to get a politician to give a crap about your cause...

1. Prove that your group constitutes active voters in their area.
    2. Give them a heap of money.

Number 2 is actually the biggest one. More specifically though, find an influential politician, give him/her a heap of money and they will crusade for your cause to the other members of congress.

The thing that I find crazy is that I can design and build an Ultralight aircraft and fly it myself over any area I want. I just have to have a FAA inspector come out and watch me weigh it to make sure it's under the weight limit, that it's a single seater and give him my word that it can't fly faster than the maximum airspeed. After that I can fly it from any grass strip long enough (no airport) and I don't have to file a flight plan or even have a radio! Although it's a good idea to have one to alert other nearby pilots to your activity and listen for their reports, but hey, it's not mandatory! Yet they totally freak out about us flying a 3 pound foam airplane??? Apparently me risking my life in my homebuilt aircraft is acceptable...

Well since I have no money and no means to print it, Ill print my letters instead.To do nothing is, well, to do nothing. If enough voters voice their opinions something has to happen. If theres one thing a politician values more than money its votes(1). Dont give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    To do nothing is, well, to do nothing. If enough voters voice their opinions something has to happen. If theres one thing a politician values more than money its votes(1). Dont give up!
    +1^

Only 28 people, (sigh). Any ideas where to post a link to get more people on board?

I didn't say do nothing... We can definately do #1. I'd rather spend money on my fpv gear than a politician any day!

Here's a crazy idea though... We each head out to our nearby retirement communities, especially the ones with lots of Vets (preferably pilots?) and give them each a turn with the goggles! I have a portable tv I can fly from and let them use the goggles for the best experience. Share with them our experience, our equipment, how we do it and what we do to maximize safety. Then tell them that their government is trying to restrict our Freedom to experience the joy of flying, the joy of flying our r/c toys. And that our Government (FAA) won't allow us decent citizens to run a respectable business taking pictures or video for clients. That their government is restricting innovation and open market business in THIS economy!!!

The elderly make up a large percentage of the voters so politicians tend to listen to them! And they've got lots of free time to write letters and call up the local politicians!

Worth a shot???

Sorry FM, didn't mean to imply that on you. Good idea about vets! There's a retirement community or two in my town I can go try that out on. I think if we get 100 people to sign, the petition will go on the main page on change.org. Cheers!

Has this been posted on RCG??

Yep, I put up a thread on diydrines too but it has pretty much been ignored.

Damn, its really hard to get people fired up. We should be organizing protests and getting moving on calling the FAA on disenfranchising small businesses. If you look at it, the FAA has criminalized the operations of countless operating R/C AP businesses and are refusing to allow them a voice on the committee that is writing regulations that directly affect them and their ability to work. Why are we not standing with signs out in front of FAA headquarters and buildings all over the country? Why has this thread been viewed by 400+ people and my petition only has 74 signatures? Does anyone care? Imagine if the DMV decided to make driving to work to make money illegal until they come up with new rules and regulations sometime in 2013, but its perfectly O.K. to take a road trip for recreation. Think about it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast