Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: My last month of FPV.....A Long Range FPV Wing.... Chris need your input (DRAK 60)

  1. #1
    FPV Freak
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Trinidad & Tobago, WI
    Posts
    588

    My last month of FPV.....A Long Range FPV Wing.... Chris need your input (DRAK 60)

    I own some decent wings and the best so far is my ritewing ZII. I cant really say a lot about my ZIII as i never build it reason being i don't want to trash this awesome wing and want to keep it as i might be leaving this country (Heaven for FPV) and going back to the place from where i originally belong to and may have to live the rest of my life there. Secondly i already have a ZII so ZIII might not be a huge difference..
    So i will take my ZIII with me and see if i will be allowed to fly there... chances are minimal. But i have to say thanks to Chris as i believe i was the first person who bought ZIII even before it was released ...

    I am looking to build my last long range rig and i have every thing it needs to do so. I was looking at ZXL but i need some recommendations from Chris and other experienced folks.. My only issue is the Size of the wing as it can't be breakdown for Transport.. Any other opinions or offers
    Last edited by zaraja; 23rd December 2014 at 08:19 AM.
    ZII (1.3 GHZ) (40.1 km), Hercules Pusher (1.3 GHZ) (23.8 km), Sky Hunter (1.3 GHZ) (19.9 km), Deep Reaper (1.2 GHZ) (13.4 km), Penguin (1.2 GHZ) (10.5 km), ZIII (1.3 GHZ), Titan (1.3 GHZ) (LOS low altitude), BobCat pusher (5.8 GHZ) (LOS), Assassin 5.8 Ghz)
    DJI Flamewheel 450 (1.3 GHZ), DART 400 1.3 GHZ, DART 250 5.8 GHZ

  2. #2
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    139
    I say dont paint it, dont lam it, just build it as fast as possible, and as minimal as possible, no osd/flight controller just fpv and normal electronics, then fly the crap out of it. and if for some reason you crash and it breaks, glue it bakc together. If you cant then make that call if you want to drop another 200 or not on an airframe. If not then just fly your z2, if you do want another one then take your time and paint it and lam it and build it real nice. Sometimes the time we put into building a fairly low cost wing makes us not enjoy the flying part. But if its only a couple hours to build it then you wont care and will fly the crap out of it.

  3. #3
    FPV Freak
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Trinidad & Tobago, WI
    Posts
    588
    Building is not a problem. Problem is to build a long range wing. ZII has already managed to reach 32-35 km and i am looking at 50 km range.
    I believe ZXL can do that but i am hoping or expecting some options form Chris if he don't mind helping me out here


    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc25 View Post
    I say dont paint it, dont lam it, just build it as fast as possible, and as minimal as possible, no osd/flight controller just fpv and normal electronics, then fly the crap out of it. and if for some reason you crash and it breaks, glue it bakc together. If you cant then make that call if you want to drop another 200 or not on an airframe. If not then just fly your z2, if you do want another one then take your time and paint it and lam it and build it real nice. Sometimes the time we put into building a fairly low cost wing makes us not enjoy the flying part. But if its only a couple hours to build it then you wont care and will fly the crap out of it.
    ZII (1.3 GHZ) (40.1 km), Hercules Pusher (1.3 GHZ) (23.8 km), Sky Hunter (1.3 GHZ) (19.9 km), Deep Reaper (1.2 GHZ) (13.4 km), Penguin (1.2 GHZ) (10.5 km), ZIII (1.3 GHZ), Titan (1.3 GHZ) (LOS low altitude), BobCat pusher (5.8 GHZ) (LOS), Assassin 5.8 Ghz)
    DJI Flamewheel 450 (1.3 GHZ), DART 400 1.3 GHZ, DART 250 5.8 GHZ

  4. #4
    Instructor Pilot
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    AZ USA
    Posts
    3,287

    ZXL

    The ZXL is the best flying fpv plane out there, its a great cruiser, we have had it out 15 miles with no prob getting it back.
    Its all dep on how you fly it, the XL in my opinion has never received the recognition it deserves.
    I fly mine with a 970 kv 160 gram outrunner with a 12/8 apc non folder on 4s, its just a dream to fly.

  5. #5
    Instructor Pilot
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    AZ USA
    Posts
    3,287

  6. #6
    FPV Freak
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Trinidad & Tobago, WI
    Posts
    588
    Chris i have no doubts from the beginning that ZXL is an awesome platform for long range FPV. 15 miles will be minimum you can go with it. I would like to double this range. MY ZII can easily do 20 miles.

    But i will need to invest a lot more than anyone would ever do to build a long range FPV wing.
    I own this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nissan march.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	55058

    But i need to get this first Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nissan-truck-2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	55060



    Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    The ZXL is the best flying fpv plane out there, its a great cruiser, we have had it out 15 miles with no prob getting it back.
    Its all dep on how you fly it, the XL in my opinion has never received the recognition it deserves.
    I fly mine with a 970 kv 160 gram outrunner with a 12/8 apc non folder on 4s, its just a dream to fly.
    Last edited by zaraja; 26th November 2014 at 02:31 PM.
    ZII (1.3 GHZ) (40.1 km), Hercules Pusher (1.3 GHZ) (23.8 km), Sky Hunter (1.3 GHZ) (19.9 km), Deep Reaper (1.2 GHZ) (13.4 km), Penguin (1.2 GHZ) (10.5 km), ZIII (1.3 GHZ), Titan (1.3 GHZ) (LOS low altitude), BobCat pusher (5.8 GHZ) (LOS), Assassin 5.8 Ghz)
    DJI Flamewheel 450 (1.3 GHZ), DART 400 1.3 GHZ, DART 250 5.8 GHZ

  7. #7
    FPV Freak
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Trinidad & Tobago, WI
    Posts
    588
    Chris,

    Is there any way i can break it down to ZII size? Or any other opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaraja View Post
    Chris i have no doubts from the beginning that ZXL is an awesome platform for long range FPV. 15 miles will be minimum you can go with it. I would like to double this range. MY ZII can easily do 20 miles.

    But i will need to invest a lot more than anyone would ever do to build a long range FPV wing.
    I own this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nissan march.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	55058

    But i need to get this first Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nissan-truck-2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	55060
    ZII (1.3 GHZ) (40.1 km), Hercules Pusher (1.3 GHZ) (23.8 km), Sky Hunter (1.3 GHZ) (19.9 km), Deep Reaper (1.2 GHZ) (13.4 km), Penguin (1.2 GHZ) (10.5 km), ZIII (1.3 GHZ), Titan (1.3 GHZ) (LOS low altitude), BobCat pusher (5.8 GHZ) (LOS), Assassin 5.8 Ghz)
    DJI Flamewheel 450 (1.3 GHZ), DART 400 1.3 GHZ, DART 250 5.8 GHZ

  8. #8
    Instructor Pilot
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    AZ USA
    Posts
    3,287
    No, that's why we have Z3, XL is not going to breakdown without major strength issues.

  9. #9
    FPV Freak
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Trinidad & Tobago, WI
    Posts
    588
    Ok.. That means i would never be able to fly a bigger Zephyr wing. Can i get a ZIII 71 inch version? Or any design of the same wingspan..

    I know i can get the same size wing from the other vendors but i need something that came out from your shop....

    I will let it go as a gift before i leave this country after 3 months...

    Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    No, that's why we have Z3, XL is not going to breakdown without major strength issues.
    Last edited by zaraja; 26th November 2014 at 03:53 PM.
    ZII (1.3 GHZ) (40.1 km), Hercules Pusher (1.3 GHZ) (23.8 km), Sky Hunter (1.3 GHZ) (19.9 km), Deep Reaper (1.2 GHZ) (13.4 km), Penguin (1.2 GHZ) (10.5 km), ZIII (1.3 GHZ), Titan (1.3 GHZ) (LOS low altitude), BobCat pusher (5.8 GHZ) (LOS), Assassin 5.8 Ghz)
    DJI Flamewheel 450 (1.3 GHZ), DART 400 1.3 GHZ, DART 250 5.8 GHZ

  10. #10
    FPV Freak
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Trinidad & Tobago, WI
    Posts
    588
    I wish you have given me Drak 60 when i have asked for a 60 inch wing on thanksgiving





    Quote Originally Posted by zaraja View Post
    Ok.. That means i would never be able to fly a bigger Zephyr wing. Can i get a ZIII 71 inch version? Or any design of the same wingspan..

    I know i can get the same size wing from the other vendors but i need something that came out from your shop....

    I will let it go as a gift before i leave this country after 3 months...
    ZII (1.3 GHZ) (40.1 km), Hercules Pusher (1.3 GHZ) (23.8 km), Sky Hunter (1.3 GHZ) (19.9 km), Deep Reaper (1.2 GHZ) (13.4 km), Penguin (1.2 GHZ) (10.5 km), ZIII (1.3 GHZ), Titan (1.3 GHZ) (LOS low altitude), BobCat pusher (5.8 GHZ) (LOS), Assassin 5.8 Ghz)
    DJI Flamewheel 450 (1.3 GHZ), DART 400 1.3 GHZ, DART 250 5.8 GHZ

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 3rd April 2016, 06:36 AM
  2. Reviving the Klingberg Wing from a long sleep.
    By airtruksrus in forum FIXED WING
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 21st January 2014, 07:56 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th August 2013, 10:44 PM
  4. range testing thoughts and input please
    By terabyte in forum IFR - Video Link Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th December 2012, 06:10 PM
  5. LONG RANGE....
    By SENTRY in forum OFF-TOPIC
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 27th March 2012, 02:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •