+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 135 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: uThereRUBY

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Oh I totally understand and glad someone asks the tough questions. I have not gotten mine yet so I have no experiance but the book says,

Setting home is as easy as flipping a switch, when the plane has home set it will do 6 wags of the elevator.

Navigator
    You just flip the switch a few times to set home, do a pre-flight check, etc. It is very easy and you do not need a laptop with you. One great thing about the Ruby is the ability to get it to RTH, or fly by wire, or go in aided mode or do an auto-launch or auto-landing all with the flip of your switches. No need to go into a menu and lose control of your plane as you navigate all the different options like in the Rvosd.

I have toyed with the idea of an autopilot for a while now for no other reason that just to try it. I decided to go with Ruby because it wasn't something that everybody else had and after meeting Mictronics at the Central EU FPV meet and him giving me a flight demo, I was sold. My second choice would've been RVOSD (yes, AtariJoe is doing the Happy Dance right now because I publically acknowledge this). However comments like this one.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post
    No need to go into a menu and lose control of your plane as you navigate all the different options like in the Rvosd.
    are incorrect. I am not the subject matter expert on RVOSD but I have copiloted with AtariJoe enough that I had to correct this error.

Since this thread is about Ruby, back to your regularly scheduled program.....

Rock Bottom FPV Addict realtvnow FPV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by h0tr0d View Post
    How much will the OSD add-on cost? This is already priced at $345 and that's $45 more than RVOSD with a fraction of the feature set.

I'm just looking at it with an objective point of view as someone who "hasn't drank the cool-aid" yet. It has nothing to do with how nice the developer is.

How do you know the Ruby has set the correct home location? Are you having to tote your laptop to the field every time you fly?
    Hello h0tr0d,
    Yeah, Ruby tells you if home position is set when you flip the switch five times instead of three. If you flip the switch three times you're telling Ruby to perform a pre-flight without setting home position. In which case Ruby will use the last known GPS home position.
    However, if you flip the switch five times you're telling Ruby to perform a preflight and set home position.
    The 'pre-flight' itself simply runs through checking all sensors, battery and the like and will wag the (I fly a Z2 so its the elevons) elevons in unison, or opposing directions. In unison means everything checks out good - you're ready to fly. If opposing then something is wrong.
    more specific information here:
    http://www.uthere.com/products/ruby/...fly_indication
    I hope this helps
    Donnie
    "We can't stop here, this is BAT country !"

is it possible to use split elevons with ruby? building a ZXL
    Member of MPAA, Local 600 DP - N522QZ & N147BW, Founding Partner of Aerial MOB
    Aerial MOB is proud to use products from:KlonerBuilt, Red Digital Cinema, Panasonic Lumix, Aeronavics, Hexacrafter, Team Blacksheep, Ritewing, Photohigher, Freefly....instagram, facebook.... #klonersfpv #klonerbuilt #aerialmob --- Support your Local 600 ---

Ruby software / Penguin screen capture of Ruby doing a waypoint path. FPV

I got The OK to post this.
    this is just a small piece of the software. So I can watch the flight.
    the strip in the upper right can be changed to put many different variables.
    lower left is the "live" data and artificial horizon.
    lower right is the path.
    these are the windows I like to have up when doing a flight. there are others I have not even used... LOL

Later,
    Gundy

View this video on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by kloner View Post
    is it possible to use split elevons with ruby? building a ZXL
    Each output channel from the Ruby gets mapped so I would think it would be easy to do that.
    just e-mail Jim (the nice developer)

Later,
    Gundy
    Ruby Cool-Aid drinker.

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Gundy, Please tell me that was a windy day or something. That poor plane was all over the place haha.

Navigator
    Just for reference, I lost my 1st Zeph due to a low vid signal. I decided to buy a Ruby and have never lost the 2nd Zeph even though I have lost vid and control signals. For fun and to test the system in the air, I run my EZuhf on "low" signal at the beginning of each flight. Once I get far enough out (1-2 miles), I'll lose that signal and the Ruby/Zeph always goes into RTH mode and starts flying back to me. I put the UHF in "high" mode and take controls back. It has never failed me, after a dozen flights. There are many more advantages to the Ruby, some we've seen just a glimpse of. The Ruby works for me, it saves me from losing my plane and is a very good return of my total investment. Cool Aid or not.

Navigator
    the autopilot and rth functions of the Ruby I think are bar none, the best out there for our hobby. The best thing about it is the simplicity, it just works. Jim gets your Ruby dialed in to your plane and you don't have to fidget with gains and angles and all that junk you need to with the other osds. I can't count how many people have lost their plane or crashed just from playing with settings and trying to dial in their autopilot when they were in flight. I would never want to have my controls disabled so I can go through a long list of menu choices to set my autopilot to do rth or to adjust a value for max angle of turn, it is just silly to subject your plane to such things during flight.

+ Reply to Thread