Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEW QAV500 Version 2.0 - FPV and Gimbal Videography Airframe

The NEW QAV500 Version 2.0 - FPV and Gimbal Videography Airframe

We are pumped to finally announce the new QAV500 Version 2.0! This airframe is a totally reworked version of the first Clean/Dirty H-Frame that started the category in May of 2012. We updated a ton of things in this airframe and we'll use this thread to highlight some of the most important aspects. Pre-orders are now available with an expected ship date of late August or early September. The QAV500 V2 is an airframe that you should consider when looking for an FPV ship that can also carry a 2-Axis or 3-Axis gimbal.

Available now for Pre-Order Here (lots more photographs here as well):
    http://www.getfpv.com/qav500-v2-fpv-quadcopter.html

How to Purchase & Arm Choices

The new QAV500 V2 can be bought with a wide variety of arm choices:
    • 500mm size Aluminum Milled Arms (the original arms of the QAV500)
    • 500mm G10 Arms
    • 520mm G10 Arms
    • 540mm Aluminum Milled Arms

If you already have a QAV500, QAV500G, or QAV540G -- all you need to purchase is the frame kit (which does not include arms). The arms have not changed (most everything else has).

Frame pictured with Aluminum 540mm arms

Landing Gear

The Aluminum and G10 arms offer different landing gear choices. Tall landing gear and short landing gear options are available for the different arms. Make sure you order the appropriate landing gear for you arm choice.

What's New in Version 2.0

We took the best parts of the original QAV500, combined it with some of the innovations that we introduced with the QAV400, and then added a ton of improvements and options. Here is a list of the most important aspects.

• Dramatically stiffer Dirty Airframe Section with curved side walls and Carbon Fiber Construction
    • Updated power distribution board that fits many more ESCs and includes 2 separate, integrated voltage conversion circuits. The frame kit includes a 12 volt step-down that is soldered onto the PDB if needed
    • Support for the 2-Axis Quick Mount gimbal by lumenier that also fits on the QAV400. The gimbal can be attached and removed in 20 seconds.
    • Support for 3-Axis Gimbals like the DYS 3-Axis gimbal. We will offer a 3-Axis Gimbal mounting plate in the very near future.
    • Integrated LEDs for LOS orientation and Increased Visibility (a total of 6 White and 6 Red LEDs)
    • Removable GoPro plate if the pilot does not need to mount a fixed GoPro -- useful for Gimbal use
    • Ability to attach 2 lipo pig tails to the PDB to fly with 2 lipos. We've done test flights with 2 5200mah Lipos and 25 minute flight times
    • Wide choice of prop sizes from 9, 10, 11, and 12 inch props without seeing props in view (when combined with the appropriate arms)
    • Additional bobbin set to support the Clean section in the center and prevent sagging
    • Longer Flight Controller Cover plate to stiffen back of lipo section
    • Integrated mechanism to prevent the Clean and Dirty sections from separating in the event of a crash. This will protect bobbins from ripping.
    • Optional flight camera mount that mounts below the Clean section
    • GPS mounting holes for 2 different mounting positions

Flying with a 2-Axis Lumenier Quick Mount Gimbal

Flying with a 3-Axis DYS Gimbal (with optional gimbal mounting plate accessory which will be released very soon). You will be able to mount any number of 3-Axis gimbals. Some gimbals will allow you to keep the gimbal's own vibration isolation in place, which then provides you 2 totally separate and additive vibration isolation methods.

The new Power Distribution Board with integrated LEDs with their own 12v conversion. The PDB also includes 2 separate Voltage Conversion circuits with an included 12v step-down board that is soldered onto the PDB. Two lipo pig tail +/- pads enable you to easily fly with 2 lipo packs in parallel. In the picture you see the frame separation prevention studs that limit the motion of the Clean airframe without transmitting vibrations.

The new carbon fiber curved sidewalls add lots of strength to the Dirty frame.
    Last edited by timnilson; 13th August 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
    We are pumped to finally announce the new QAV500 Version 2.0! This airframe is a totally reworked version of the first Clean/Dirty H-Frame that started the category in May of 2012...
    Looks great Tim - I just preordered one.
    AMA Life Member #406842

Quote Originally Posted by ChimpanZed View Post
    Looks great Tim - I just preordered one.
    That's awesome!!! Thank you!!!

Yea think I cant live with out that new dirty plate! Gonna pick one of these up soon. That will be 2 in Houston!
    Q̶A̶V̶2̶5̶0̶ ̶v̶2̶ ̶-̶ ̶Q̶A̶V̶2̶5̶0̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶b̶o̶n̶ ̶-̶ ̶Q̶A̶V̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶-̶ ̶Q̶A̶V̶5̶4̶0̶G̶ ImpulseRC Alien 4" - Shendrones Mako 5" - Shendrones Mixuko GoPro Pod 5"

Navigator
    Why are you doing this to me

Quote Originally Posted by SkyShot View Post
    Yea think I cant live with out that new dirty plate! Gonna pick one of these up soon. That will be 2 in Houston!
    Love your signature!

Quote Originally Posted by rclover106 View Post
    Why are you doing this to me
    Love your avatar!

You guys are awesome. Thanks!!

Love your signature!

Love your avatar!

Thanks! I only fly the best out there.
    Q̶A̶V̶2̶5̶0̶ ̶v̶2̶ ̶-̶ ̶Q̶A̶V̶2̶5̶0̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶b̶o̶n̶ ̶-̶ ̶Q̶A̶V̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶-̶ ̶Q̶A̶V̶5̶4̶0̶G̶ ImpulseRC Alien 4" - Shendrones Mako 5" - Shendrones Mixuko GoPro Pod 5"

Navigator
    Love your avatar!

Haha Your welcome! loving my qav400.

Navigator
    My QAV500(G) v1 has treated me very well. I converted it to G10 arms, added a gimbal, and messed around with all sorts of flight controllers, OSDs, Tx/Rx combinations, etc. It's been a great platform.

I'm an ex-NASA engineer and thus a bit of an anal retentive stickler when it comes to flying things. On my v1 I changed the dirty frame spacers to 5.5mm x 10mm hex spacers and ran M3 bolts through it. This stiffened the dirty frame up nicely. I also fabricated a piece to stiffen the clean frame around the battery area. Based on what I see of the v2, it addresses my minor nitpicks (which never impacted performance). Can't wait!
    AMA Life Member #406842

It looks good. Do you know the frame weight with the 500mm G10 arms instead of the 540 aluminum ones? Also, do you have a picture of a GoPro sitting on the new Gopro plate? I need to see if my current Gopro setup (which is shielded due to UHF noise) will fit.

Thank you,