image
Page 206 of 206 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206
Results 2,051 to 2,058 of 2058

Thread: Let's See Your Ground Station!!

  1. #2051
    Draw an actual schematic out for us to look at.

    I would also unplug all electronics, turn on a switch and use a multimeter to verify voltages where you expect them.

    Putting the multimeter on amperage and placing in series will also tell you if there is a short.

    Wires getting hot very quickly is most likely a wiring issue.

    It shouldn't be pulling too much current, but I'm assuming you're not running through 28AWG wire either

    Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeffmhopkins; 20th August 2017 at 03:48 PM.

  2. #2052
    Navigator
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmhopkins View Post
    Draw an actual schematic out for us to look at.

    I would also unplug all electronics, turn on a switch and use a multimeter to verify voltages where you expect them.

    Putting the multimeter on amperage and placing in series will also tell you if there is a short.

    Wires getting hot very quickly is most likely a wiring issue.

    It shouldn't be pulling too much current, but I'm assuming you're not running through 28AWG wire either

    Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Thanks Jeff,
    I have revised my wiring and will re-do as per this schematic....hope it looks OK? I will use large 16-18 G wire on the main leads, but the wires servingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Ground Station Wiring-page-001.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	77359 the DVD recorder and the Video Receiver are quite small....26-28 G. Appreciate your review and input!
    Smoke

  3. #2053
    Schematically looks good to me other than BEC & LEDs not going to ground. If physically wired that way, no LED, and no BEC. Wire size should be fine for the loads. As drawn, no reason to get hot, so it's something to do with install. I would suspect the switches since you have the same issue with both circuits...if they light up, then may be wired wrong. The only other common item is the terminal blocks, check for continuity hot too ground to see if that's source of trouble.

  4. #2054
    Navigator
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
    Schematically looks good to me other than BEC & LEDs not going to ground. If physically wired that way, no LED, and no BEC. Wire size should be fine for the loads. As drawn, no reason to get hot, so it's something to do with install. I would suspect the switches since you have the same issue with both circuits...if they light up, then may be wired wrong. The only other common item is the terminal blocks, check for continuity hot too ground to see if that's source of trouble.
    Cannot thank you all enough! My schematic did have errors with BEC and LED NOT GROUNDED...my bad in the drawing but all now working! Original mistakes were grounding the switch instead of both sides being positive....plus, using a 12V battery as a supply with FAR too much amperage. All is well now, new BEC coming tomorrow as the original burned out! Live and learn...I am learning a lot!
    Smoke

  5. #2055
    Glad you got it straightened out! Battery size/amp capacity will not affect the circuit, it will only supply what is needed. Having a larger capacity battery likely prevented more damage when you shorted across the leads with improperly wired switch.

  6. #2056
    When wiring stuff for the first time, don't be afraid to put that multimeter on and verify voltages keeps things alive

    Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

  7. #2057
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North New Jersey
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by vi3telit3 View Post
    Man, I never thought to do anything like the retransmit until I saw this, that's definitely on my to-do list! Thanks for the idea!
    I love how clean your setup is. Wondering which tripod you are using.

  8. #2058
    Quote Originally Posted by maktek View Post
    I love how clean your setup is. Wondering which tripod you are using.
    It's a SLIK PRO tripod, bought at a yard sale for significantly less than new

    https://www.amazon.com/700DX-Profess.../dp/B0002EXF38

Page 206 of 206 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206

Similar Threads

  1. My new ground station...
    By Keith in forum Ground Stations...
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 24th January 2014, 02:36 PM
  2. New Immersion Ground Station
    By Coyote in forum Ground Stations...
    Replies: 199
    Last Post: 21st October 2013, 07:09 AM
  3. My new Ground Station
    By Coyote in forum Ground Stations...
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 8th August 2012, 06:06 PM
  4. Ground station
    By neal in forum Ground Stations...
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th July 2011, 09:29 AM
  5. Ground Station Tracker
    By Greg in forum Ground Stations...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th July 2011, 11:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •