Page 206 of 206 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206
Results 2,051 to 2,058 of 2058

Thread: Let's See Your Ground Station!!

Draw an actual schematic out for us to look at.

I would also unplug all electronics, turn on a switch and use a multimeter to verify voltages where you expect them.

Putting the multimeter on amperage and placing in series will also tell you if there is a short.

Wires getting hot very quickly is most likely a wiring issue.

It shouldn't be pulling too much current, but I'm assuming you're not running through 28AWG wire either

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeffmhopkins; 20th August 2017 at 03:48 PM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmhopkins View Post
    Draw an actual schematic out for us to look at.

I would also unplug all electronics, turn on a switch and use a multimeter to verify voltages where you expect them.

Putting the multimeter on amperage and placing in series will also tell you if there is a short.

Wires getting hot very quickly is most likely a wiring issue.

It shouldn't be pulling too much current, but I'm assuming you're not running through 28AWG wire either

Thanks Jeff,
    I have revised my wiring and will re-do as per this schematic....hope it looks OK? I will use large 16-18 G wire on the main leads, but the wires servingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Ground Station Wiring-page-001.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	77359 the DVD recorder and the Video Receiver are quite small....26-28 G. Appreciate your review and input!
    Smoke

Schematically looks good to me other than BEC & LEDs not going to ground. If physically wired that way, no LED, and no BEC. Wire size should be fine for the loads. As drawn, no reason to get hot, so it's something to do with install. I would suspect the switches since you have the same issue with both circuits...if they light up, then may be wired wrong. The only other common item is the terminal blocks, check for continuity hot too ground to see if that's source of trouble.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
    Schematically looks good to me other than BEC & LEDs not going to ground. If physically wired that way, no LED, and no BEC. Wire size should be fine for the loads. As drawn, no reason to get hot, so it's something to do with install. I would suspect the switches since you have the same issue with both circuits...if they light up, then may be wired wrong. The only other common item is the terminal blocks, check for continuity hot too ground to see if that's source of trouble.
    Cannot thank you all enough! My schematic did have errors with BEC and LED NOT GROUNDED...my bad in the drawing but all now working! Original mistakes were grounding the switch instead of both sides being positive....plus, using a 12V battery as a supply with FAR too much amperage. All is well now, new BEC coming tomorrow as the original burned out! Live and learn...I am learning a lot!
    Smoke

Glad you got it straightened out! Battery size/amp capacity will not affect the circuit, it will only supply what is needed. Having a larger capacity battery likely prevented more damage when you shorted across the leads with improperly wired switch.

When wiring stuff for the first time, don't be afraid to put that multimeter on and verify voltages keeps things alive

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by vi3telit3 View Post
    Man, I never thought to do anything like the retransmit until I saw this, that's definitely on my to-do list! Thanks for the idea!
    I love how clean your setup is. Wondering which tripod you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by maktek View Post
    I love how clean your setup is. Wondering which tripod you are using.
    It's a SLIK PRO tripod, bought at a yard sale for significantly less than new

https://www.amazon.com/700DX-Profess.../dp/B0002EXF38

Page 206 of 206 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206