Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your positive uses of FPV here.

Navigator

Post your positive uses of FPV here.

Hey Guys,

Special Thanks to Sentry for adding this board to the FPVLab site. We both feel that there are litereally thousands of positive uses for FPV and the payloads we carry. We wanted to have a common place for everyone to post comments or links to articles and videos and news clips that promote FPV/sUAS in a positive light. This is not the place to post anything reckless or daring.

We would also like to state that SAFETY is paramount. Experience is key to success. You cant just go out and buy the same gear some of the pros are using and expect to have the same results. Know your limitations and know them well. Know your gear inside and out, know your terrain and flight plan as well. Last but NOT Least.. Dont do anything stupid that could endanger life or property.

Myron

This is more concept based, but here is a minor way to help... and of course the "search" aspect is clearly shown on this short range test (just scale as needed):
    Last edited by CaliDave; 6th January 2012 at 03:58 PM.

I also see search and rescue as a great area for growth, particularly in environments where traditional aircraft cannot go (Denali, Everest, and other high elevations come to mind).

Hey, Myron!

Well done! I'm glad you got this forum up and running -- and I especially like the way that you termed it as "positive uses." My personal interest is in public safety, but there are many positive uses that go well beyond the fire service and law enforcement. One I've heard mentioned is inspecting wind turbines. Apparently, there are some types of external inspections that can be conducted by drones at a tiny fraction of the cost of more conventional means.

I'll definitely post all of our public safety related projects here!
    roswellflighttestcrew.com

Navigator
    We have had some experience at higher altitudes and as long as your ready for them everything works fine.. High elevation means thin air, so you have to prop your motor differently and also be carefull not to over amp it at low altitude.. Also, Lipos dont like the cold much. Most of them have a peak operating temp of around 140 degrees. We learned this the hard way.. Went flying in the dead of winter and when we launced the plane it didnt have enough juice to get it airborne. After a few trys we got it airborne but it was laboring for a little bit. After about a minute of full throttle it came to life and had plenty of power.. We were a little confused at first but did some testing and discovered it was the cold battery temps that were causing our problems..

Please post anything that presents what we do in a positive light... Hopefully after a while we will have a good collection to show off!

Myron

Just a thought, Myron... Once we start to build that collection, perhaps we should created a curated gallery of specific operations. I have no doubt we'll build up a good collection here, but I'm sure it will be scattered among numerous other housekeeping and idea-sharing posts (like this one). I'd suggest we set up a specific forum or a sticky thread which will only included well-written case studies, clear, instructive videos, and so forth...

The people we're really trying to reach with these ideas aren't going to pick through a bunch of meandering threads just in case they stumble onto something really cool. Again -- it's awesome that this is up and running...
    roswellflighttestcrew.com

Another

...positive use, buy why do THEY get to do it and we don't? Alaska is still part of the USA

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/11...est=latestnews

Hello everyone, i guess this is a positive use.
    I am able to fly for my work, i work in nature preservation and i am starting to fly on a regular base and film in hd the ground so we can monitor the "evolution" (don't know exactly how to explain that in english) plantlife.
    If you fly every year around the same time over a piece of land so you can se how plant life is evolving.
    I started it with normal rc flying but along the way we discovered that doing this FPV you can fly over a much larger area and because you have osd data especially altitude you can fly every year at almost the same hight which makes it more reliable.
    No fancy stunt flying just straight lines at about 50m over the area, but hé who can say that they can hobby at their work

Good work Addy!

Some people call it "change analysis", some call it "plant propagation", but "evolution" is as good as any! We have done some plant growth work and also some invasive species work as well. All really good stuff! You should look at the TetraCam for some really good multi-spectral imagery. They are at www.tetracam.com I'm sure some of your botanist would love to see that sort of data.

Gene

Pilot
    I have had a few chances to use my Plane to find Lost boats that have floated down river. After finding them, I give the owner the Coordinates, and if they pay the gas, we will use our boat to go rescue theirs.

We have a nice open valley with eh river to do this in. Its not common, but I have found 2 this year!

No video of the Boat rescue but heres the area.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast