FPVLAB

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aurora 9 and UHF-Systems

Navigator

Question Aurora 9 and UHF-Systems

Hi
    I have found several information about using a UHF-Module with a Hitec Aurora 9.

I know that with a Scherrer UHF module there is an issue with the display that can be solved when the module isn't direct on the back of the transmitter.

I read here (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ll=1#post40480) that there isn't such a problem with the chainlink uhf.

I didn't find any information about the ezUHF and aurora 9.

I'm thinking about buying a UHF-System but I don't want to buy a new transmitter if there is an other way.

What UHF-System should I buy for an aurora 9?

Im also interested, I need a nice 9 channel radio and Im tired of spektrum.

Since you linked to me, I suppose you already know that my RangeLink works fine with the Aurora 9. I have zero issues with it interfering with the radio. Unfortunately, I haven't tested any other UHF systems with it.

I use the plug and play cable 2 provided by Sid, which just takes PPM from the trainer port. It's also possible to tap it from the module pins. Either way, any UHF box is going to have to be powered from a separate 3S lipo.

Navigator
    Ok i read almost the whole thread about chainlink Uhf mentioned above.
    I'm one that likes to spend mOney in quality stuff (at least if it is so important like controll)
    I think I'd buy a ezuhf if someone can tell me that it works with the Aurora.
    I don't want to separate the module+antenna from the transmitter.
    Does Aurora interfere with the ezuhf?
    Last edited by paede; 6th January 2012 at 06:20 AM.

I have no idea if it works with the ChainLink....like I stated before, I have a RangeLink. I'm sure EZuhf would work as well as if not better than my RangeLink on the Aurora. The EZuhf is a quality product.

Sometimes you have to try it yourself and find out, it's nice to have people who have done the research before you, but there's not always someone to hold your hand.

I would think just about any UHF system should work as long as the radio is providing a valid PPM stream (either through the module port or through the trainer jack). I have a TLRS on a DX8, and if I place the transmitter right next to the DX8, the radio starts going all sorts of crazy. Simply separating the two clears the problem up, so I just don't stick my TLRS transmitter to the back of my DX8. =]

If you observe weird behavior with the UHF Tx in close proximity to the Aurora, just separate the two and you should be fine. It's not quite as neat and convenient to have the UHF Tx on a tripod a few feet away from the radio, but it works for my flying style.. (I just sit down and enjoy the flight while airborne; I don't tend to wander around on the ground when I'm under the goggles..)
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by aeryck View Post
    If you observe weird behavior with the UHF Tx in close proximity to the Aurora, just separate the two and you should be fine. It's not quite as neat and convenient to have the UHF Tx on a tripod a few feet away from the radio, but it works for my flying style.. (I just sit down and enjoy the flight while airborne; I don't tend to wander around on the ground when I'm under the goggles..)
    I don't want do carry another tripod ... one is enough.

How high does the UHF transmitter have to be to get a good result. Is about 30 cm above ground enough?

That depends on where you're flying. You want the antenna to have LOS to the plane. If you're sitting in a ditch, then no it's not high enough. If you're on a mountain-top, then it's probably high enough.

I sit in a chair with my arms resting on my knees and my transmitter in my hands, but the way it's mounted on my transmitters carry handle, my antenna points straight up. This has shown to be more than adequate height as my RSSI is still 99% at over 4 miles out with direct LOS. Basically, you need to buy the UHF system you want...sounds like you're leaning towards EZuhf and test it's performance relating to the interference with the Aurora, and then decide how/where you're going to mount it. It's the UHF box that interferes with the Aurora, not the other way around like you stated. With my uhf box, I have to lay the antenna across the screen to get any noticeable result (lines on the screen) and it shows no problems when the antenna is on the back of the Aurora even directly under the screen.

It is my belief that the problem with the a9 + lrs is a design flaw in the a9 and not whatever is connected to it. I use the a9 with the hitec 72mhz module and it suffers from the same problems shown in various videos on youtube. WHen running with their 72mhz module, while transmitting, my screen is mostly an unreadable flickering dim mess. Control is fine, but the screen is useless.

When I get home from my trip I'll communcate with hitec and see what they say, sort of ridiculous that their own gear doesn't work.

@Hucker - That sucks man, the 72mhz module doesn't cause any problems with mine at all. My A9 was purchased July of this year, do you think it's possible that they fixed the issue in newer versions?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast