Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you balance charge your lipo's?

How often do you balance charge your lipo's?

So I was wondering how often you guys use the balance charge option to charge your lipos?

I have a these two batteries that I am flying on my Z2 and it's just easier to keep it in the parallel harness an charge them together, but then you can't use the balance port.

I was wondering how many times can you charge them regularly before it becomes and issue and you need to balance them out.

I used to charge balanced exclusively before this.
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Sounds like a typical RcLab1 maiden flight to me -ssassen

Whatever. This forum sucks. -SENTRY

I balance charge every time I charge... buy one of theses and you can balance 6 batteries at a time from a single charger
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6S_XT_60_.html

Pro Tip: you can get a parallel charging board in different connectors than XT60s, cause I know that you aren't going to put in the effort to look for the connector you are using.
    Last edited by Derrick; 5th July 2014 at 02:20 PM.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    I balance charge every time I charge... buy one of theses and you can balance 6 batteries at a time from a single charger
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6S_XT_60_.html

Pro Tip: you can get a parallel charging board in different connectors than XT60s, cause I know that you aren't going to put in the effort to look for the connector you are using.
    I use XT60s! So no effort needed from me! That board is pretty legit.

Little interested how this board, is able to dictate 6 different battery's voltage levels per cell and what the balancing needs to be of those batteries.

Cause the charger only see essentially one battery and the balance port would then also only see one battery an distribute power to the board accordingly... So not sure how it is supposed to balance 6 different batteries at 6 different cell levels appropriately...

Edit: Now that I read it a little more I'm pretty sure this isn't going to appropriately balance two batteries of the same type when they are plugged in
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Well it does balance but not 100% like if you balanced them separately. For example cell 1 from each battery will be in parallell so they will be balanced like one cell. Still better then nothing. I would balance separately from time to time. Or at least check how balanced the cells are quite often using something like this?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._balancer.html

That things fancy. I'm thinking like 6 charges then a balance is probably fine. Any ideas how many charges I could go be for balancing?
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Navigator
    I only balance charge and as long as my battery is not in an application where I draw more than 30c continuously I expect at least 200 cycles before they are trashed so the extra few minutes for the extra lifespan and a little more performance seem to do it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeystud87 View Post
    That things fancy. I'm thinking like 6 charges then a balance is probably fine. Any ideas how many charges I could go be for balancing?
    That depends on the battery. If you have a 3s pack and all 3 cells have different internal resistances, then they'll be out of balance after one cycle.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Navigator
    Balance charge every battery every time.
    At 2C it takes about 35 minuets at the longest.
    TwinStar Brotherhood
    MyFlyDream Twin

Co-Pilot
    Parallel balance boards are cool I use them to charge 4 packs at a time. Seems like they come out better balanced that way and quicker too. The packs actually balance each other out rather than the charger having to do all the work.

Just be careful. If you have a crap pack with a dodgy cell its possible that you're charger will keep pumping juice in.

So I always check my pack voltages individually and make sure only to do this with known good packs.

What is the maximum voltage cell difference between cells that you guys are ok with? My tend to run between 0mv to 15mv, though I had a couple of packs that started showing 30mv the other day and am not sure whether to be concerned. EDIT: When i run them on a slow balance that voltage difference is always reduced to about 0-2mv, just occasionally they come back from the field with these differences

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast