Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: CPATCH12: The most compact long range 1.2GHz antenna

As I like to make stuff and save some cash along the way, I thought I'd build a CPATCH12 clone.

I do believe it's built well??? as the video at times is fantastic!???
    And I've seen some that are hacked up and still work well?
    I'll post the video soon. :-(

Here's the video...

If anyone has any ideas????
    Please help????

Well...
    Hm, you probably messed up distance between ground plane and patch with 3D printed stuff and reversed backplate. Hard to tell without measurements, but this antenna isn't very wideband - so need to build precisely.
    Try to reverse ground plate (foil should look inside); also, which antenna on plane?

Hi ABL,
    Thanks for the reply...

The distance is a perfect 15mm as detailed in the website I got the drawings from...
    http://lag.lt/cpatch12-dimensions-and-details/
    The original patch from CW has the copper foil facing rearward and I stuck to the dimensions exactly.

The ground plane is connected to the ground element of the coax cable...

I actually think I have found the problem. Look at the video and it's fine until I move the plane....
    On the bench, I removed the 5.8 relay and plugged a monitor into the VRX.
    Great picture but when I picked up the plane... the image went bad again...
    I then played with my leads in the model and I got the picture to go from good to bad to all gone and back again...
    I am convinced that the issue is actually the leads...???
    I could of course be wrong but I am making a new lead set up and I'll report back...

Thanks again.

David.

Just bought myself this gem of an antenna. I will continue to use my Pepperbox, but plan to use the Cpatch12 as a portable groundstation for hiking trips.

Just one question.... Do I need to raise the Cpatch12 on a tripod, or will it work just as well close to the ground.

It works excellent close to the ground... mine is usually less than 2 feet off the ground. I think it actually works better closer to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMan View Post
    It works excellent close to the ground... mine is usually less than 2 feet off the ground. I think it actually works better closer to the ground.
    Great man:-) I will use it this evening to fly my HC44 up and down a mountain on the opposite side of a fjord. I am always scared when flying across the salty stuff on a new location. Especially with no osd or ap.
    Last edited by Håvard Støre; 5th May 2017 at 11:26 AM.

Update on my problems....

It seems I have multiple issues with my system.

1st, The RCA sockets on my VRX were loose, I got some new sockets from RS and that solved some of the video breakup.
    Then I found a video on youtube about almost the same problems I am experiancing...

It turns out the the RCA sockets on the tracker are also crap... If I just lightly touch the lead from the VRX to the tracker, I loose all signal.

Again, I swapped them for better quality parts and bingo! No more loss of connection.... and I got my first 1k flight....
    Looking good, however.... Looking over the DVR footage from that flight, I still have interferance and some quick "black frames"???

Going to look at the wiring and filtration again....

But it's getting there.... I think......

Hi Folks,
    Sorry I've not updated this in a while but here's a video of my latest flight.
    I got to 4km out and came home...
    Unfortunately, my DVR has developed a problem now so I'm in the middle of fixing that...
    What you see here is from my Runcam2 but it's more or less what I see in my goggles.

So, with all being said, I am over the moon at the results of making my patch... :-)