I wanted a ground station that is:
- Super small
- Packs a punch
- Can go on top of a tripod and also stand on its own
- Has nothing stuck/taped to the tripod legs.
- Be transparent... I got my inspiration from the MK-Stefan ground station (check it out if you have not seen it!)
The gear I am using:
- 5800 ImmersionRC Diversity Video RX
- ImmersionRC PowerBox
- ImmersionRC Antenna Tracker
- ImmersionRC/ReadyMadeRC Antenna Tracker pod
- 19db Patch antenna & 9db omni-directional antenna
- Redundant power via 2 5000mah batteries
- SD card video recorder
- FatShark "Base" Goggles
- Voltage meters
- Fan to keep the internal gear cool
- 7" Headrest monitor in the front
- Proline Tri-Pod
To fit the gear, I designed a 3D lexan enclosure with all cut-outs for switches, meters, fan, monitor, goggle connections. The back is a door held in place by magnets. The box uses precision tapped screw threads, so does not need to be glued together. The box has 2 internal shelves, providing for 3 compartments total:
Middle: PowerBox and Video RX
Third: SD video recorder, etc...
I just started the build, but here are some initial pictures.
EDIT: The finished GS. More pictures and video here.
EDIT 5/29/2022: I changed the antenna tracker to the ServoCity 'gear boxes'.