Thread: Gimbal for Fixed wing

Gimbal for Fixed wing

Anyone have experience with either mounting a gimbal inverted on a quad or on fixed wing?

I mounted the FeiyuTech G3 on my fixed wing and had decent results. The firmware is the problem. I'd like to consider other options for something solid. No Junk!

Here is what I have:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gimbal on Skyhunter.jpeg 
Views:	517 
Size:	561.3 KB 
ID:	42523

Anybody nail this yet?

I believe VitaminJ flies a Skyhunter with a gimbal.

True. Saw another one in the SkyHunter thread yesterday.
    Strange as it sounds, either my eyes or brain pick it up - but I get vertigo watching vids with a gimbal on fixed wing, nautious feeling after watching the vid.

How weird, multi-rotor vids with gimbal don't do that, and fixed wing without gimbal don't do that. And it's not something I ate because the back of my eyes start hurting.
    Anyone else feel that?
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Quote Originally Posted by Scotttu View Post
    True. Saw another one in the SkyHunter thread yesterday.
    Strange as it sounds, either my eyes or brain pick it up - but I get vertigo watching vids with a gimbal on fixed wing, nautious feeling after watching the vid.

How weird, multi-rotor vids with gimbal don't do that, and fixed wing without gimbal don't do that. And it's not something I ate because the back of my eyes start hurting.
    Anyone else feel that?
    Not tried looking at gimbal fixed wing vids yet but I do get the same feeling if I try to use a flight sim on a large screen or watch 1st person shoot ups. Flying FPV is fine with googles though, so I think it is moving object in the peripheral vision is the problem.

Mistake Discovery Artist
    Didn't see this thread until just now... but if you want to test that idea of vertigo from fixed-wing gimbal videos... I have one you can test it on. Just posted up this thread about my little project: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....i3D-Pro-gimbal

Navigator
    I have my feiyutech mini 3d pro mounted inverted and it seems to work fine for me. I'm getting some fantastic footage with it:

The only time i notice any issues is when im flying in a crosswind and the gimbal is in "track forward mode" he footage wiggles back and forth because the plane is flying at an angle to its forward direction and the gimbal is trying to compensate. As long as i keep it in directional mode it doesn't do that - I just have to flick he mode switch to get the camera pointing forward then go back to direction.

I've also had great success with the FeiYu Tech Mini3D Pro gimbal on my X-UAV Clouds.

Started a thread about it here: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....y-worth-a-look

Here is my review of it, soon I will also publish other videos with footage from it!

I got my gimbal up and running too... man what a world of difference.