Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Naza V2 Fly Away

Naza V2 Fly Away

Happened to me yesterday in Florida. I was flying my new QAV400 with a Naza V2/GPS,
    with FPV goggles yesterday. I had just taken off without goggles and flying about 10 ft of altitude and say 30 ft away from me, put on the goggles when I saw in the goggles is was getting unstable without any radio input and the rotor noise was getting louder, so I pulled off the goggles to get a visual. I caught a glimpse of it flying over the house behind me toward the swamp forest 300 ft behind the house and then silence. I did not do any thing to radio hoping it would go into failsafe and fly back. Ran around the house and found nothing. It like disappeared. Extensive search back into the jungle and no find.
    I am pissed. Everything gone including GOPRO 3.

The last few flights, I had noticed, the GPS had become unstable as to holding GPS lock. So it looks like the Naza lost gps lock, the wind was drifting the unit away and the Naza did not go into failsafe.
    Suggest you guys always have a spotter if you fly a Naza FPV.

Can count to potato.
    Sorry to hear of your fly away, I'd suggest heading out again and continue the search, it couldn't have gone too far could it?

I don't suppose there was any chance of flicking to manual mode, punching out and saving it?

I have reason to believe that the solar flares that are happening now are a possible cause for making the GPS' go a little haywire.

(this is not ment for you rgfidler)

[MOD NOTE: This thread is NOT going to end up like the others that became a debate between certain people (yeah, you know who you are). If you want proof that shows NAZA is the culprit, you better show some yourself to proof the opposite]

It sucks, OP. I hope you find it and perhaps determine the cause.

Perhaps start a thread in Events/Meets to do a search mission? There are quite a few labmembers from Florida.

Not sure I understand your point Hans. I am not interested in a debate about anything or geting envolved in a debate about the quality of any vendors equipment. My post is to inform other FPV'ers of what happened to me, nothing more nothing less. I am however interested in hearing comments from other FPV'ers, about what they may think happened. I am not sure what Hans wants us to understand as to his position as a forum moderator and his opinion as to where a debate about the subject will proceed.

Well, even if you're not interested in a debate, others will

Because previous topics about Flyaways results in a useless back and forward between a few members and nothing but complaints from fellow members about those who debate without solid arguments. Moderators are getting a bit fed up with members stirring up shit for no apparent reason, or asking for proof while providing none by themselves.

We are trying to keep a positive atmosphere here and unfortunately Naza Fly Aways tend to end up in BS and complaints about certain members.

So, yeah some pro-active moderation is used here. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by Hans; 24th February 2014 at 08:02 AM.

rgfidler - Sorry to hear about what happened - that is going to suck. Important to try to get to the bottom of what happened so that you can avoid it again and others can avoid the issues also. The debates around this always become depressing and the antithesis of what the lab should is about, which is a shame as it is an important topic. Anyway, some ideas and the usual questions:

1. Is there any chance that you flicked it into Manual by mistake when donning the goggles? At that point it could head off in one direction depending on how your sticks were positioned. Some of the time when I have thought a flyaway was about to happen that is typically the issue. Would have hurt my legs on one occasion, but jeans saved the day.
    2. Did you have full sat lock prior to take off - all green slow flashes?
    3. How far away is your GPS puck from your Vtx, and what frequency is your Video on? 1.3 by any chance?

No chance in manual, had a full green lock before takeoff, but the previous flight I had lost full full green lock and it had started to wander. Puck from VTX about 3 inches and yes video 1.3.

Navigator
    what 1.3 vid tx did you have

Well - that could be your cause. GPS is on 1.5 and strong video signals have been known to interfere with the GPS signal. I have about a 6 inch separation on my Disco, though vid is on 2.4. How strong is your video transmitter?

Sounds like there could be other issues as well though as I can fly rock steady with my Naza (lite admittedly) with only 1 green light flashing (not something i try to do), but it doesn't start drifting when this is the case....What control frequency are you on? UHF I assume?

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast