FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Night flying TSII with 300W leds headlight

Shedding light over FPV HugeOne's Avatar

Night flying TSII with 300W leds headlight

Last year I built a night-flying TSII with a 90W (6000lumens) headlight.
    It was quite a sucess, so I'm back this year bigger and better

Led technolgy is doing leaps and bounds, a 5mm square led can produce more light than a 60W halogen bulb. Last year I built a leds light using 12 CREE XP-G leds producing each little over 500lumens. This one use 16 of the new CREE XM-L capable of 1300lumens each.

These leds are SMD type, usualy reflowed onto a metalic PCB which is fixed on a heatsink. Even if very efficient, they still put out a decent amount of heat on a very small surface area. Instead of heat sinks, I built a water cooling system. The leds being so close together, a conventinal heat sink won't spread the heat fast enough, unless being very big and heavy.

I reflowed the led on 5/32" copper tubes with a flat spot to accept the led's heat pad:

The tube is 3 sections soldered in a "U" shape, tube solder is lead free while leds use leaded soder. This way, the tubes don't fall apart when reflowing the leds (20C windows)

The assemblies are glued to an aluminium plate to hold them inside the aircraft and provide some air-cooling from the air rushing inside the reflector area:

As I wanted the light to spread to the side but not much verticaly, I carved a parabolic reflector in the nose of my TSII:

The two 8 leds tubes are cooled by two water cooling circuit with independant pumps:

Two 6 feet coiled aluminium tube serve as radiator to shed heat into the air flowing around the fuse:

Details of the pumps and radiators, also the driver circuit needed to provide constant current to the leds array. Current is adjusted from 0 to 20A by a radio channel. It also start the pumps when the light is powered. Power come from a 4S lipo:

Here's a video of the light being tested on the bench:

View this video on YouTube

Another one with the light installed and pumps working:

Temperature and current of the light is monitored ans diplayed on my OSD.

I glassed the nose to make-up for the carving. Quick shot of paint and voila!

I also made vent holes on the sides, air enter by the reflector and "nose" to come by those vents. A small ply separate the lamp area from the rest of the plane.

Wow. But why? Or maybe a better question, is how do you use this in practice?

Wow. But why?
    /Rounded chest
    Because I can

Joking aside, I take off in pitch black, the ground is black or hard to distinguish. I turn on the light and everything show clear as crystal a thousand feet in front over 120 degree wide
    Then, I skim trees tops a mile away in the middle of the night. Peoples gather on the side of the road pointing at a strange light, I turn it off until they go away. Time to land, turn the light back on find a nice spot
    and land the behemoth.

EL OH EL. I like that reason.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Ok, i wasnt criticizing of course, but Iwas wondering how effective it really was for night flying. It looks like an incredible piece of work!

FPV Legendary Loser Mark Hitchman's Avatar
    That is awesome, nice work, would love to see the FPV video of it in action.

Mark

Holy crap man that is so awesome, very very impressive. That must look so cool from the ground, ALIENS!!!
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hitchman View Post
    That is awesome, nice work, would love to see the FPV video of it in action.

Mark
    This.

Night-ops def requires a dedicated rig if you ask me. At some point I will build one as well - w/ cameras designed just for night ops and a few trick to light up the LZ when needed. In for the videos of this in action.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Thx guys

A video of last year with my 6000lumens light:

You can see the overexposure in the middle of the screen, that's because my light was made as a spot rather than a flood like it is now.
    The dense beam of light reflect on the humidity (and sleet for that video) and cause problems. Also, my old light wasn't dimmable but rather HI\LO\Off.

-Hugo

Are you flying in the rain? COOOOL!
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

+ Reply to Thread