FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: BAE Hawk Mk.128 FPV project

BAE Hawk Mk.128 FPV project

EDIT: Second flight:

View this video on YouTube

Hey folks,

As some of you may be aware, a few months ago I built an FPV F-16 EDF, and for those who followed the process, it didn't turn out well

So, I'm starting over! This time with a British Aerospace Engineering Hawk Mk.128 (the T.2 version). Well, truth be told, that's not really true. It's the plane I've modelled the cockpit after, but the biggest part of the plane has a T-45 Goshawk paint scheme (US Navy carrier trainer version), which is of course slightly different. But this isn't for scale contests, so I'm fine with that! This is the plane in question:

As for the electronics, it'll feature the same power unit as the F-16, since it sustained no damage from the crash (fortunately), other than breathing in a fair portion of dust
    The control RX will change however, I'll be putting an openLRS rx on it instead of going with 2.4 control (like the F-16).
    The vtx will be a 500mw 2.4 instead of a 250mw 5.8, should allow for some good distance (not like I'm intending to do any long range with an EDF lol) and give me the ability to do some more fun and low flying. Flying high up is boring after all (unless in the clouds)
    I'll power it using a 2.2Ah 3S lipo again.
    The flight (and also record) cam will be a sony super HAD 600tvl (PZ0420), because it's quite proven itself, is cheap and just is a generally good cam
    There will be no OSD on it, since a scale plane shouldn't have fuzzy numbers on the screen. Unless we're talking about some fancy modern HMD-like display, but I can't afford any OSD's like that at the moment

The cockpit has been constructed in the same manner as the F-16, but it has some more features. The most important features will be the animated flight stick and the backlighting on the LCD panels (while the F-16 panels were completely black ). The result looks like this (as seen in the fpv warbirds thread):

Well, it's nowhere near finished, but that's not the point, since we're just starting out! One of the main reasons I picked the Hawk instead of another plane such as another F-16, was the big canopy size. The cockpit will be able to fit under it once I rip off the silly decals and clean it up a little

Structurally, the Hawk is pretty decent, but it has some points that need to be addressed. First, the nose section is a piece of plastic. One not-so-nice landing and it'll shredded...

So yeah, I'll probably make a mould to make spares. Which will probably be needed ... Other than that, the ailerons are a bit warped on the tips (both ends)

Nothing a bit of heat won't fix though I presume. Another point of distaste was that the linkage rods don't really align properly, but a bit of creativity should fix that.

Other than those things, I'm very satisfied with the overall build quality. It has lots of space, for example (I'll be needing that, as the F-16 project pointed out ):

Last edited by Reliku; 11th August 2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

And so I went on to actually building the thing. And I ran into my first problem. The salvaged EDF unit from the F-16 (which didn't sustain any damage during the crash, fortunately) doesn't fit in the Hawk!

Basically speaking, it's too long. Other than that it's generally hard to just slide it in (she's very tight)....

....Sorry.....

Either way, it required some surgery, and I always hate having to cut open new aircraft because I can't get my stuff in there. But it's not too much of a big deal:

As you probably notice, the motor wires don't belong there. They should be going the other way, and the ESC should fit somewhere in here....

In other words, I'll be cutting half the tail open to make it fit, create some holes for airflow past the ESC and close everything up again (and hope the ESC doesn't die). I'm not too concerned about structural integrity, but I might just apply two carbon rods in the tail to strengthen it up a bit again.

Other than that, I installed the servo's. Since people were a tad worried about using cheap HK servo's, I used a fancy MG digital hitec servo this time. Frankly, that was the only one I had, so there's still a cheap servo on the elevator

Well, that's the progress for now, please subscribe and stay tuned!
    Last edited by Reliku; 4th December 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Awesome! Good choice in aircraft and man that is a snappy cockpit you got going there,compadre! Subbed!
    Entropy isnít what it used to be.

I work for BAE

I plan, maybe next year, to do the Vampire as my first EDF.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Instructor Pilot
    In for the crash!

Jokes, don't crash this one please, and if you do please make it a glorious and fitting end.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotttu View Post
    I work for BAE

I plan, maybe next year, to do the Vampire as my first EDF.
    Good idea! More EDF's = win

Oh and no worries Zee, not planning on crashing this one!

Why Drink&Drive,Smoke&Fly PabloJaime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    In for the crash!

Jokes, don't crash this one please, and if you do please make it a glorious and fitting end.
    The word of Experience!!!!
    I will be OUTSIDE, so if anyone looks for me, I will be OUTSTANDING!!!!

Thanks for the confidence lol....

Why Drink&Drive,Smoke&Fly PabloJaime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reliku View Post
    Thanks for the confidence lol....
    not on you, on Zee..

Reliku... I'm sending you all my good energy's from the holly land now!!!! You shall not crash!!!!!
    I will be OUTSIDE, so if anyone looks for me, I will be OUTSTANDING!!!!

Let's hope it works!

I've done some more work on the hawk. Well, the cockpit. Mostly tinkering actually. The downside of the flight stick is just a rod, and I'll have to get it so move somehow... So...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    ....but I spent a while scratching my head as to the best way to achieve it.

This is roughly the system I'm going with. Let's hope Zee doesn't mind!

+ Reply to Thread