FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ground based FPV - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Tonka Summits

Ground based FPV - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Tonka Summits

Thought I would start a thread about ground based FPV stuff. I know the threads on RCG about the Tonka Summit really got me interested in doing something for the non-flyable days. I know @ssassen and @saucisse have some projects on the go. How about others?

I'm leaning towards the HK (Acme) Trooper as it is a decent entry level frame. I can't justify spending what they want for the Traxxas Summits. Not sure how the metal tonka body will do on this frame. I saw the link to the Land Rover Defender body on eBay... sweet but the wheel base is a bit short at 275mm, although the tonka jeep is only 267 so I'm not sure which way to go.

What have you guys got goin' on ground based?
    Regards,
    Bryan VE3OYN
    "Technoweenie"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If it is broke, deny everything.

I've been kicking around a few ideas for a camera stabilization mount of some sort for a ground FPV vehicle. I want to FPV a nitro stadium truck but that is going to be fast and bumpy.

None of the ground FPV rigs I've seen have dealt with the biggest problem of ground FPV: RC trucks are shorter than damn weeds! They may be able to drive over anything but if you can't see over it then you have to hold your breath or go around.

My idea is to put the camera up on a cantilevered boom that is dampened with just an RC truck shock or two and at rest is slightly compressed. The camera boom would be parallel to the truck chassis about 12" above chassis with the camera in the middle of the wheelbase.

The camera would be leveled with the use of a heli gyro and servo. The camera boom would pivot enough to allow the camera to be pushed down into a protective cage in the event of a roll-over.

It will require lots of testing and tuning but I've got lots of shock tuning parts and heli gyros are cheap. I'll make it out of aluminum mostly.

Attached are my best MS Paint skills:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cammount.JPG‎
Views:	130
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	4112  

Have an RC tank already waiting in the basement. Got metal tracks, metal wheels and new ball bearing gears to pimp my ride.

Will add a pan+tilt, maybe also a roll and some gyros. Have a Sony Effio cam with IR filter removed and use the IR LEDs described here to illuminate the scenery. RC control will be exchanged to a more professional 35MHz system.

Do NOT disturb the pilot saucisse's Avatar
    Here's the link on my build log in case some are interested: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....n...kind-off-o)

Would also be cool to see what's cooking elsewhere And for Keith, make this Land Rover FPV !
    Long range FPV is so 2009

Here's some OSD footage showing a fun run I made today with my Tonka Summit. Using Alex's BluBeam and Hugo's 7 turn Helical for 5.8g, the video link is very nice. Trying to push the Tonka to the edge:

View this video on Vimeo

^^ Nice! The link is amazingly solid for as far out as you got. Watch out for those low scrub bushes... they jump out at you.
    Regards,
    Bryan VE3OYN
    "Technoweenie"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If it is broke, deny everything.

+ Reply to Thread