+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OSD Opinions - (Yes another OSD thread)

Navigator

Lightbulb OSD Opinions - (Yes another OSD thread)

I have searched through these threads and still don't have all of the information I want (Need?)
    I have a Fat Shark Predator kit. It works great on my Blade 350 QX quad. Being a newbie at all this and this is my 1st try at FPV I'm looking for simple, not too expensive, OSD. GPS, RSSI, battery usage, Altimeter, and a pointer to show me where home is pretty much all I'm looking for. I have seen the you tube videos with the horizon and GPS coord's and some other info I have no idea about. It all looks pretty cool but I'm sure it comes at a price. Whether it's monetary or assembly skills or both.
    What I'd like to know is what would be a good OSD that basically hooks up in-line with my Fat Shark kit and doesn't require me to make "Y" hookups for this that and the other. I like simple, but yet I'm cheap. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on OSD. There's not a lot of room on my 350QX so I would like a minimum of modules. Are there any OSD guru's out there that can steer me in the right path? I looked at the ImmersionRC EZOSD. It has everything you could want from what I could tell but it seems a bit pricey. I'm I being too much of a tight wad? This is for short range FPV, a 1/2 mile or less. I don't think I'm ready for the long range stuff yet. What are your opinions.
    Last edited by MrMike; 30th September 2013 at 07:11 PM.

Well if you want it simple with plug and play with your Fatsharks the ezosd would be the way to go.It uses all the same connectors and it designed to work well with all immersion/Fatshark stuff.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
    I have searched through these threads and still don't have all of the information I want (Need?)
    I have a Fat Shark Predator kit. It works great on my Blade 350 QX quad. Being a newbie at all this and this is my 1st try at FPV I'm looking for simple, not too expensive, OSD. GPS, RSSI, battery usage, Altimeter, and a pointer to show me where home is pretty much all I'm looking for. I have seen the you tube videos with the horizon and GPS coord's and some other info I have no idea about. It all looks pretty cool but I'm sure it comes at a price. Whether it's monetary or assembly skills or both.
    What I'd like to know is what would be a good OSD that basically hooks up in-line with my Fat Shark kit and doesn't require me to make "Y" hookups for this that and the other. I like simple, but yet I'm cheap. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on OSD. There's not a lot of room on my 350QX so I would like a minimum of modules. Are there any OSD guru's out there that can steer me in the right path? I looked at the ImmersionRC EZOSD. It has everything you could want from what I could tell but it seems a bit pricey. I'm I being too much of a tight wad? This is for short range FPV, a 1/2 mile or less. I don't think I'm ready for the long range stuff yet. What are your opinions.

MrMike. Glad you presented that questions. I am in the same boat as you. My first FPV setup
    Using the Blade 350qx.

Please keep us posted, let us know what direction you decided to go.

I have a blade 350 QX coming later this month, and also have fat shark pred v2 gear with spironet, and upgraded camera.

I was pondering getting the ezosd as well, but, and worried that the gps from the QX and ezOSD may conflict.

Could this be a potential issue?

Also how are you guys mounting your FPV gear to the QX?

Pics?

the 350qx likely will never be a long range ship. So why the OSD? You cant put UHF on it, and you always have RTL.
    set a timer. listen to it.
    Put an osd on something you build (so you understand), not something you buy rtf in a box (no clue about the workings, other than "it works").
    besides, the GPS's will (im guessing) mess with each other.
    Itll make a great parkflyer ship, but i dont see much of a use for it since its going to be pretty limited in range.

Its a hobby model, but its not built to accommodate what we'd likely want to put on a fpv ship.
    Last edited by Dust; 10th October 2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

True

It may not be a long range FPV flier, and no you can't add UHF, but, with an OSD it would be great for Aeriel filming to know your altitude, course heading, and lipo power left ect.

It could always be removed

My issue is, I wanna know if the GPS's will conflict.

I see some people have issues with Naza in this instance

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    the 350qx likely will never be a long range ship. So why the OSD? You cant put UHF on it, and you always have RTL.
    Put an osd on something you build (so you understand), not something you buy rtf in a box (no clue about the workings, other than "it works").
    Itll make a great parkflyer ship, but i dont see much of a use for it since its going to be pretty limited in range.

Its a hobby model, but its not built to accommodate what we'd likely want to put on a fpv ship.

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    The more parts you add on a rig the more points of failure and more noise introduced into the system. If your flying something small add a IRC Ezosd but leave off the current sensor ( Since that is the biggest noise maker on the Ezosd)
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Oh and GPS's are only RX's to they will ever conflict. You start running into the GPS issue once you start using 1.3g video tx.
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post

Your right, it's not a long range FPV ship. I bought it for a couple of reasons other than FPV. I always wanted to try flying a quad and this seemed to fit the bill for the most "bang for my buck". I also didn't want to start FPV on a plane. At least with a quad I can stop and hover, look around etc. without head tracking or any other control other than the quad. This was the keep it simple part. This is giving me a way to just start up with a basic setup, see how much I like it, and grow from there. I'm finding orientation a bit of a challenge while looking through my goggles so I thought may be an OSD would give me a little more information to work with. It's turning out to be a great video platform and with FPV I can see exactly where I'm panning my shots. I don't need a voltage monitor at this point, a timer does just fine. But Altitude would be a great help as I really can't tell how high I am while looking through the goggles and when I try to get low I'm worried about hitting the ground. I figure after I get used to FPV on here, I'll get another Tx and camera, etc. and mount it on my Apprentice. The Predator V2 kit seems to work great for short range but I noticed about a 1/4 mile out my video feed is about gone. Razors 33, I'll try to get some pics up later today.

Thanks mike

+ Reply to Thread