FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BOSCAM TS832 600mW .... Really?

BOSCAM TS832 600mW .... Really?

Did anyone done any measurement on video transmitter power and compare with what the manufacturer claimed? I did exactly that using a Agilent spectrum analyser. Below are the results.

Brand Spec Pwr Measured Pwr
    BOSCAM TS832 #1 600mW 302mW
    BOSCAM TS832 #2 600mW 363mW
    ImmersionRC 5.8G 600mW 540mW

I can get min 1.6km range with iImmersionRC. However with exactly the same antenna setup BOSCAM only provide less than 100m range!

Anyone have similar experience?

yes people have. measure the 400mw from boscam and you will find it better than the 500mw thing they have ...
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

Tks for the heads up. This is the first time I bought BOSCAM VTX not knowing they practice over-spec/over-sell tactics. Already complained to BOSCAM and awaiting their response. Local dealer where I bought from offered to replace with the 2000mW version. Still considering but unlikely I would want to handle such high power. Higher power consumption and health hazards issues need to be taken into consideration.

Beside ImmersionRC what other brand of VTX truly transmit power as advertised?

You're working backwards IMO. What problem are you trying to solve. What range are you trying to achieve?
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

I've been given the 2000mw for testing from boscam before they came out. I told them it was pointless. It overheats, impossible to plant in foam. Don't keep making it or market it for FPV. I was one of the many testers that said the same thing. But of course they didn't listen. Stay clear of that.

Really you best bet if going with boscam is the 400mw. That is by far their best transmitter followed by the 200mw. On the 200mw I have gone over 10km and on a standard day I will go out 3km just on omni CP antennas. There is no need for mw power on 5.8ghz as you will still lose signal if you go behind any object.
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

I am aiming for 1.5 to 2km. Antenna setup : Tx = Skew Planar Wheel RHCP, Rx=Helical Axial Mode 5.8 GHz RHCP Antenna (Hobby Wireless). With this setup I get only <100m with BOSCAM TS832! :-(

I have being using ImmersionRC 600mW VTX for quite some time now and very happy with it. I bought the BOSCAM TS832 because of the all-in-one FPV DVR monitor (similar to Foxtech M700-58DVR 7" monitor) which operate in 5704MHz band. ImmersionRC operates in 5740MHz band.

Anyway I just placed order for the AOMWAY 5.8G 1000mw (RC4Y.com). it cover these 2 bands. Hopefully they respect what their published specifications.

Dude - you really shouldn't order from RC4Y. I hope that works out for you. And you're really using much more power than you need.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFPV View Post
    Did anyone done any measurement on video transmitter power and compare with what the manufacturer claimed? I did exactly that using a Agilent spectrum analyser. Below are the results.

Brand Spec Pwr Measured Pwr
    BOSCAM TS832 #1 600mW 302mW
    BOSCAM TS832 #2 600mW 363mW
    ImmersionRC 5.8G 600mW 540mW

I can get min 1.6km range with iImmersionRC. However with exactly the same antenna setup BOSCAM only provide less than 100m range!

Anyone have similar experience?
    Me and my flying buddy both have the TS832 from Foxtechfpv, along with the matching RC832 Rx. We are getting about 2km worth of flyable video using just the HobbyKing skew-planar antenna on both Tx and Rx. I regularly fly that within 500m chasing planes and other quads and there was never any issue, as long as there is clear LOS.
    Last edited by Stringer; 27th September 2013 at 10:18 AM.

Tks Stringer. BTW have you try measured the Tx power?

I was using the all-in-one FPV monitor receiver with build-in receiver (similar to Foxtech M700-58DVR 7" monitor). When I did not get the desire range I started first by looking into the VTX transmitting power and found it is way below the declared specification. I have yet to check the range against stand alone receiver like the matching RC832 (I have one also). I am hoping to keep my ground station setup compact mounting on top of my Futaba transmitter. I find the DVR feature very useful for post analysis especially when mishap occurs. This is the only FPV Monitor with build-in DVR I know of. Hence it only make sense for my to replace the BOSCAM VTX with one that work well with this more expensive all-in-one DVR monitor.

Anyway ... is it normal for the power to be almost half of what being specified? Isn't this ....... unprofessional?

BOSCAM TS832 600mW .... Really?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFPV View Post
    Tks Stringer. BTW have you try measured the Tx power?

I was using the all-in-one FPV monitor receiver with build-in receiver (similar to Foxtech M700-58DVR 7" monitor). When I did not get the desire range I started first by looking into the VTX transmitting power and found it is way below the declared specification. I have yet to check the range against stand alone receiver like the matching RC832 (I have one also). I am hoping to keep my ground station setup compact mounting on top of my Futaba transmitter. I find the DVR feature very useful for post analysis especially when mishap occurs. This is the only FPV Monitor with build-in DVR I know of. Hence it only make sense for my to replace the BOSCAM VTX with one that work well with this more expensive all-in-one DVR monitor.

Anyway ... is it normal for the power to be almost half of what being specified? Isn't this ....... unprofessional?
    I really have no way to measure the Tx power. I have no access to such gear nor know anyone who does. However, I also believe that 300mw should still be able to give you good range. I got another Boscam 200mw (8-ch) on my tri and it's working well for me within 500m range. I've not tried venturing far though.

My buddy does have the 7" diversity LCD from foxtech without the dvr and works well for our flying needs.

Try different frequencies and see what works. Based in our experience, channel 31 works best, but the antennas we use may also be tuned to that.

+ Reply to Thread