Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIMDROIX Arms for the F550

Navigator

AIMDROIX Arms for the F550

Hey guys, the aimdroix arms for my f550 look nice, except that the metal is soft an thin where they connect to the motors. It is EXTREMELY easy to over torque the screws, and I ruined 3 motors. I will be ordering 3 new motors to replace these, but I wanted to make you all aware because I have built quite a few multi rotors, and the torque I used felt like a normal amount.

over torquing will ruin the motor so make sure that the lip where the screw is not threaded does not go all the way to the metal on the arm...also, because the screws will not be able to go as tight on as on the original arms, Lock tite is extremely necessary.

happy flying!

Thanks for warning! I'm just about to try them on my quad.
    My Daring FPV adventures www.youtube.com/paintcast | My Flytrex mission http://www.flytrex.com/sergey.paintcast

Just use the screws that come with the motor. They generally dont have that unthreaded step section.

Navigator
    I wasn't aware of any extra screws without them.....my kit did not come with anything other than the whole pack of screws for the f550 kit as a whole...in that case, my new motors coming should have different screws...sweet.

I used lock washers on the motor screws to space them out plus it adds another level is security to keep them tight

Between Stevenson, WA and Hood River, OR in the COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE

wait!

Don't throw them out! Talk the motor apart and tap the holes with a home made 3mm screw tap. Hold the screw (needs to be high quality steel) with pliers and with a dremmel tool cut away longitudinally at the tip. You're trying to make a cutting tip hat will bite into soft aluminum. It will be easy to do. Tap by hand or SLOW drill. Take motor apart so you don't get metal shavings in your motor.
    ARF

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by IBERIAN View Post
    Don't throw them out! Talk the motor apart and tap the holes with a home made 3mm screw tap. Hold the screw (needs to be high quality steel) with pliers and with a dremmel tool cut away longitudinally at the tip. You're trying to make a cutting tip hat will bite into soft aluminum. It will be easy to do. Tap by hand or SLOW drill. Take motor apart so you don't get metal shavings in your motor.
    I will definately try this...I am went ahead and ordered 6 new motors anyway because I want to upgrade to a dslr...that being said, I am going to order a new kit and use the old motors..thanks for the tip...

Navigator
    Update: I took my screw up as an opportunity to update the motors. Arms are installed, and only waiting on the 24-11s to arrive. Here are a few pics to show the room these awesome new arms created: imgr made these pics huge btw

Holy macaroni! These things are HUGE!
    My Daring FPV adventures www.youtube.com/paintcast | My Flytrex mission http://www.flytrex.com/sergey.paintcast

Navigator
    When will the new arms be in stock?