FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: JR X9503 PPM mod

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by aeryck View Post
    If the radio is switched on, then that will probably be the case, although ......]
    Awesome, Thanks for the help and answering my questions!

Will

Quote Originally Posted by MikeysRC_Will View Post
    Awesome, Thanks for the help and answering my questions!

Will
    No problem.

A bit more information on the trainer port behavior of spektrum/JR radios:

Power switch OFF, trainer plug inserted: Radio powers on in slave mode. PPM from radio sent out through trainer port, no internal RF transmission.

Power switch ON, trainer plug inserted: Radio powers on in Master mode. PPM is NOT sent through trainer port; it is expecting to receive PPM inputs from a slave radio. Radio's internal RF system transmits signals either from radio controls or PPM signals received through trainer port, depending on position of "Trainer" switch.

This is the biggest difference between Futaba and Spektrum/JR trainer systems - JR/Spektrum have a single PPM line that acts as both an input and an output depending on whether the radio's main power switch is turned on. Futaba radios have both a PPM Input and a PPM Output line, and don't need to depend on the power switch position for input/output mode.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

So has anyone used this mod with the DL v2 ?

Howdy Guys. GREAT thread. Thanks so much. I currently have my Dragon Link installed on my DX7, but want to upgrade to a Tx with more functions, switches and better mixing, so looks like the DSX9 (X9503) is what I would like.
    I really want to simulate how I have my DX7 set up, which is;
    I have a switch on the back with 2 positions 2.4 & 433. DL powers up from Tx main switch. Things looks slightly different though with the X9503. Is this my best way forward to simulate this;
    I am also going to assume the trainer port, as well as having the PPM pin & ground connection, it has a switch that closes when a plug is inserted into the trainer port.
    Do the modification as per Hippo AND install a switch parallel across the trainer port switch/contact. I assume this will then give me the two options by 1/ 2.4Ghz - Main Tx switch ON and installed switch OFF 2/ 433(DL) - Main Tx switch OFF and installed switch ON. Is there a better way? AND what will happen if both switches are on?
    Thanks heaps. If I get this Sussex how I want, I'll take photo's so others can see if they wish

Navigator
    That ought to work. If you have both switches on, the transmitter would think you were the matter in a trainer setup, and nothing would happen, the tx would function normally.

Cheers Hippo, I'll let you know how I go. Had to make sure before I buy the x9503. I'll get it today and do the mod in the next few days

I'm about to post a JR X9503 for sale already modified for dragonlink use if anyone is interested.

Hey thanks for letting us know imagebuff. Ha I already went and bought one this morning, they only had mode 1 in stock, but assured me they are mode changeable. Only to find when I un-boxed it, it was the version with 1 analogue trim on the throttle, so cannot be changed by user. Took it back and they gave me a super deal on an 11xZero, so I'll just mount my DL on an empty plug in module.

Navigator
    Just a short note of thanks for this thread and particularly to Hippo / Dan. Just acquired a x9303 today as a second hand unit and was kinda surprised when I couldn't remove the module as that was the reason I went JR rather than other brands. Found this thread and have now completed the Hippo mod but had 20 mins of heart-stopping depression when I put it all back together and nothing happened. Didn't even get to see $300 worth of smoke.
    Undo unit and problem solve.
    Forgot to replace the fuse. (replace fuse)
    still not working. (still cursing)
    ensure all pins are fully seated on the two cables that I had unplugged.
    power up , beep and smile/ breath.
    MJ

Navigator
    Might have made the call too early....

Have attempted to operate some servos and not getting any (useful) movement. I have bound two separate FrSky tx to a matching rx. I cannot get any sensible movement out of the servos plugged in to the rx.

Is there a method of checking whether I'm getting good PPM signal using a voltmeter or similar (no oscilloscope). The FrSky tx unit has 5 pins - (from the top) I am running Signal, not connected, +ve, -ve, not connected, not connected. Sound correct?

there might be some obvious step I haven't done with the radio programming - am yet to find how to set up the channels in this radio.

MJ
    Last edited by emjay; 3rd October 2013 at 06:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread