Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice Aluminium Arms for your Discovery

Navigator
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COG tbs_discovery_center_of_gravity_moded.jpg 
Views:	3252 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	31651The following image is a very crude representation obviously, but by adding 50mm to the rear legs the discovery becomes Symmetrical (almost) and the center of gravity moves back to where it is originally marked on the bottom plate (instead of 15mm forward).

This would be very interesting to test, how it would affect flight performance of the discovery. Because COG is moved back, a slightly heavier battery could be carried without upsetting the balance.

Hope you have some luck with the designer, or get them made in china would be cheaper.

Regards - bruce
    Last edited by bruce356; 29th August 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce356 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COG tbs_discovery_center_of_gravity_moded.jpg 
Views:	3252 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	31651The following image is a very crude representation obviously, but by adding 50mm to the rear legs the discovery becomes Symmetrical (almost) and the center of gravity moves back to where it is originally marked on the bottom plate (instead of 15mm forward).

This would be very interesting to test, how it would affect flight performance of the discovery. Because COG is moved back, a slightly heavier battery could be carried without upsetting the balance.

Hope you have some luck with the designer, or get them made in china would be cheaper.

Regards - bruce
    well, if they are any good they'll be made in china anyway. if by the designer or by "goodluck-rctimer-hobbyking" is up to him

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    Aluminum is horrible material for transmission of vibrations...
    you mean it's GREAT for transmission of vibrations, horrible at damping them out ;-)
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Quote Originally Posted by SecretSpy711 View Post
    you mean it's GREAT for transmission of vibrations, horrible at damping them out ;-)
    That is correct... to be clear, DON'T USE ALUMINUM ARMS IF YOU CARE ABOUT VIBRATION DAMPING.

Sure they look cool, and as stated they will give more yaw authority (but so will longer plastic or wood arms). At the expense of decreased vibration damping.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    You must respect my authority!
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Co-Pilot
    MAYMIDROIX, are you anything to do with the AIMDROIX arms? If you are.... perhaps you could read this thread and address some concerns?

Just noticed they are also thinner than regular arms. I really wonder if you could make them any worse for people to buy as a drop in replacement.... Longer, thinner, requiring spacers? What about making them of chocolate...

If you look at a DJI arm and frame you will see that the plate and arms clamp together and the arms have a LIP which the plate buts up against tightly. I am convinced that a tight fit is crucial for a strong connection. I really would not like to add some spacers to my quad.
    Last edited by londonguy; 17th September 2013 at 11:30 AM.

could be interesting for those who would like to try other motors instead of 22xx ones.
    *** Please Subscribe: http://youtube.com/user/rlage3/videos ***
    My gear: TBS Discovery - TBS Discovery Pro - DRQ250 - AXN - Easystar 2

Quote Originally Posted by londonguy View Post
    MAYMIDROIX, are you anything to do with the AIMDROIX arms? If you are.... perhaps you could read this thread and address some concerns?

I'm the designer of the arms. I will start answering some of the concerns that were discussed here.

Just noticed they are also thinner than regular arms. I really wonder if you could make them any worse for people to buy as a drop in replacement.... Longer, thinner, requiring spacers? What about making them of chocolate...

When I first designed these arms what I had in mind was to make the arm as easy as possible. The manufacturing ideas that I thought behind this design is what did the arm to be at a price that is accessible and made in the U.S. Because of this, the arms needed to be manufactured a bit thinner in height than the plastic arms. The idea of making them longer is that people where buying extension plates for the DJI arms that are only about half the price of the arms so I wanted to include that advantage on my design. I think that making them out of chocolate would be delicious so I will consider it in the near future.

If you look at a DJI arm and frame you will see that the plate and arms clamp together and the arms have a LIP which the plate buts up against tightly. I am convinced that a tight fit is crucial for a strong connection. I really would not like to add some spacers to my quad.

The aluminum arms will have the same clamping force that you get with the plastic arms. How will you connect the battery of the TBS if the arms where exactly the same height as the DJI arms?
    Thanks that you'll use the spacers is possible to hard wire the battery to the TBS battery tabs.
    CNC machining is very expensive, so to machine an arm to include the spacers on the design would have cost more than $100 a piece. Just think about all the material that would need to be removed just the increase the height to match the stock DJI arm. The spacers don't make the connection to be weaker than with the plastic arms.

I appreciate your feedback.

www.aimdroix.com

Last edited by MAYMIDROIX; 17th September 2013 at 12:43 PM.

MAYMIDROIX, what you're saying is that these will not be 37mm tall? we may need to make custom spacers for these arms then. and the camera plate won't fit!

no, I mean spacers between the DISCOVERY top and bottom plates. We have 8 of these installed to strengthen the frame. these are 37mm tall and thus require the arms to be also. Maybe I'm just missing the point please provide some photos of your DISCO.