FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lost plane finder

Navigator
    I have one of the sticknfinds on my keychain and it does work reliably for that, although I was given it and would not pay $25 for it. Haven't tested the range on it either.

I did buy one of these:http://distance-rc.com/store/index.p...&product_id=51

It's the distance-rc beacon. It's similar to the FMkit beacon but without the microphone that the FMkit beacon has. With this one you just set a delay and it will start transmitting after the delay. It was a bit cheaper and it uses less power so it should transmit for longer, and with a customizable delay I think it will work good.

When it arrives I will have to try it out to see how accurate I can be at finding it. I have some motorola walkie talkies without a removable antenna but I'm hoping they will work just fine.

I plan to do some winter flying over snow and I'm somewhat worried that it will be hard to find my quad if it goes down into a field with high snow. I realized that I have a Barryvox avalanche beacon "lying around" and that could work quite well for locating the quad. The problem is, avalanche beacons are expensive as they always have a search and send mode, which makes perfect sense for avalanche rescue; you wouldn't want to be buried in an avalanche with your fancy beacon while your buddy cheaped out has a transmit-only beacon and won't be able to locate you.

Anyways, has anyone tried using avalanche beacons for locating planes/quads? They have a range of about 100m, so if you have a good initial guess it should be quite easy to locate it (assuming you know how to search with an avalanche beacon).

Given that there are no transmit-only beacons, I'm thinking of building one myself. It shouldn't be terribly difficult, just a quartz with custom frequency, say 32 * 457kHz, a micro controller to divide down the frequency to 457kHz and output it once per second for 100ms or so, an opamp and filter, and a tuned LC ferrite core antenna.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by swiyper View Post
    Finally Got one of this eureka pet tracker form amazon and works flawlessly ...
    I ordered one (eurekaproducts, marco polo) today from the manufacturer, cheaper than amazon, already shipped,

It's been a long time since ive done any fox hunting, and was looking for something to work out of the box, hopefully this fills that role. I decided against gps/cell tracker for several reasons.
    The specs look great, 250mw tx, 900mhz, -125 dBm sensitivity receiver,,, and nice and compact, no giant yagis to haul.

I got a Tagg Pet Tracker and the battery was dying quick so I called them up. They asked if it was being used away from the charger, I told them yes. Well it uses either BluTooth of Wifi when it is in ranger of the charger and when it's not it uses the cellphone towers. The cellphone mode sucks the battery down pretty quick compared to the short range reception.

Ya, thats a gps/cell tracker, I choose the rf route, this one works on totally different principal. Can you return the tagg? Plus it requires monthly charge.

I got it with a year of service for just over $100

Lost plane finder

The battery in the Marco Polo lasts 30 days on standby, 8 days activating as beacon

I'll do some tests when it arrives

I've used rf and gps trackers in the past
    6S FLIP FPV, FLIP 360, DJI F330, DRQ250, misc sub-minis, CTH Albatross, Pelican, GWS SS, Standby in Box RVJET. Gone but not forgotten, DJI F550, F450.

Hypothetical question: Lets say you lost a plane, a large one, 2 meter wing span and it was painted in some bright non-natual colors. And you are fairly sure of a area it went down. How would one get updated satellite imagery of the area in order to search for it that way? How often does Google or the other map providers get new imagery? Can a private person request new imagery from some company?

(successful)Post Flight
    Man that was awesome, can't wait to do it again.

Navigator
    In and around metro areas of Melbourne (Australia) there is a crowd called NearMap which do regular aerial photography. More frequent and better resolution than GE. The results are accessible by the community.

Have no idea whether there is an equivalent in your area.

Hypothetically, did your plane land in one piece, on the ground or is it hanging inverted in a hypothetical tree? Lotsa ifs. Good luck.

Yeah, I don't know of a "near map" equivalent in my search area, plus the area is very remote and not likely a commonly updated area so... The "ifs" do trail off in my hypothetical scenario so the best hopeful is some hypothetical hiker coming upon it. It's reunion with the ground most likely resulted in some degree of traumatic disassembly I'd expect, I'm hoping/wondering how long the electronics may last exposed to the elements... it's likely a total loss (hypothetically), but my thought at the best way to find it would be from some aerial imagery at this point.

(successful)Post Flight
    Man that was awesome, can't wait to do it again.

+ Reply to Thread