Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fatshark Attitude Goggles w/ Team-BlackSheep Dominator RX 5.8Ghz Guide

Navigator

Cool Fatshark Attitude Goggles w/ Team-BlackSheep Dominator RX 5.8Ghz Guide

Fatshark Attitude Goggles w/ Team-BlackSheep Dominator RX 5.8Ghz
    This tutorial will have you install a TBS Dominator RX in to your FatShark Attitude goggles, this means you can use your Attitudes with nearly any vTX available over 4 bands. This is an "at your own risk" modification. There's another tutorial I spotted here on FPVLAB, however they didn't seem to be on Attitudes, there's slight differences between the two however 90% the same.

Remove the rubber eye cups and the two screws.

Remove the vRX module on the left, there's a couple of cables attached remove those carefully.

The desoldering process will take a while, be patient and do this slowly or you will ruin your goggles.

First use some solder wick or similar to remove as much solder from the points in purple as possible.

Next, apply some heat and remove the solder from the right two points that are alone, at the same time slightly prying the vRX from the board. I use an ice cream stick for this as it doesn't damage anything, however it spreads the load over the whole back of the vRX as you heat those two points.

Now how you approach the final part of desoldering is up to you. You can either attempt to heat all pins at once and try to remove them, or you can remove the plastic from the pins on the vRX and then heat the pins 1 by 1 removing them with some tweezers. If you're confident at soldering option 1, if you're not go with option 2. Heat from the bottom and pull them out from the top side. This will avoid you damaging the tracks on the board.

Time to install the Team-BlackSheep vRX.

I used two small sorbathene pads underneath to put some spacing for heat distribution, you can use anything just leave a small amount of room. Then use some tape to hold it in place, and apply a bit of solder to two of the points. Then you can remove the tape and solder the rest. Remember to install this the same as you remove the old one. The 3 extra solder points are for support on the original vRX, they do not come on the Team-BlackSheep VRX. They're simply for support, they don't change the function at all.

This is what it should now look like, and you're ready to install it back in to the goggles.

Make a small hole using the tip of your hot soldering iron, it may help to put the cover on to get a better idea of where the hole should line up, then give it a poke with the hot tip. Do the same on the inside, and then a third poke again on the outside. With a small file or a sharp knife just cut off the curling plastic to make it look clean.

The hole will allow you to change bands on the vRX without needing to open the goggles again. It's small, however you can see the LED flashing inside so you can tell what band the vRX is on. Simply put a paper clip through to press and change bands, remove the paperclip and count how many flashes.

I've completed some brief testing ( a few minutes ) and everything seems to work. Video displays on the goggles and I can change bands and channels on the goggles and match these to the 32 channel boscam vTX.
    Last edited by .Joel; 7th August 2013 at 11:40 AM.

Great post, I guess this would work with the 2.4 ghz receiver aswell

this is good info
    I am about to do the same to my attitude goggles
    do you still have control of the channels with the toggle switch on top of goggles?
    you just need to change bands using a paper clip

good thread cheers

Navigator
    The fat shark DOMINATOR RX (5G8) for goggle ,does it works whit foxtech tx?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeydukey View Post
    this is good info
    I am about to do the same to my attitude goggles
    do you still have control of the channels with the toggle switch on top of goggles?
    you just need to change bands using a paper clip
    Sorry for the belated reply, yes you can change 8 channels at a time with the toggle switch. However to change bands you need a paperclip through the hole.

Navigator
    Thannks for the idea. I did the same mod. I bought the PCB piece from FS for $25 + $5 shipping to US. Saved me time/risk to desolder the old rx off the PCB. For those who wants to do this, just email fatshark support asking to buy one.

How difficult is it to change the band with paper clip through the hole? Probably some hard piece of plastic stick may be better to avoid shorting things out? I haven't gone so far as to drill a hole yet. I may ask FS if they will sell me the top plastic shell piece just in case. Right now most guys I fly with are on FS band. Good to be on different band to still enjoy relatively less cut out when flying together. I'm sure more people will probably get on boscam band sooner or later so good to have flexibility to change band at the field.

I find it very easy to change the band. I keep a paper clip on my headband for the purpose, and can count the blue LED flashes easily seen through the hole to know what band I am on. The key is to make the hole in the right location, exactly over the button switch. I just carefully eyeballed it and marked the spot, then made the hole with my soldering iron then trimmed the slight amount of plastic ridge with a hobby knife so the hole looks clean and flat.

I don't change the band often, since most of my RX are the same type and band, but it's no problem to do it when I need to.

Thank you for this great DIY. Just got a pair of Attitude v2s and really liking them (coming from Teleporters). I know the v2's have a better Nextwave rx in them than the v1 Attitude. By going with the Team Blacksheep rx, am I sacrificing any of the Nextwave 5.8 frequency? I would really like to be able to operate on all the popular frequencies but I would mostly be using 5.8.
    minimultirotorforum.com :: fly | crash | post

Since I've moved away from using FS and IRC vtx I'm not sure of the differences between Airwave and Nextwave, but although the TBS 5G8 module will work with the Airwave channels, something about it is different and it's not the same quality and/or range. The TBS specs say "* Airwave frequency support is not full spec. Range is affected, as well as transmission picture quality! We highly recommend the use of BOSCAM transmitters."

If Nextwave is based on the Airwave specs (which my guess it is, but I really have no idea) then I assume the same issue applies. It doesn't matter to me, since my goal for getting the TBS module was to use other vtx anyway. I wouldn't have gotten it if I wanted to keep using FS and IRC vtx, but I can see the advantage in not losing compatibility with them. I can still use them, but I just don't expect them to work optimally which is OK for me. For somebody who wants to use primarily Airwave type vtx it's probably not a great idea to use the TBS vrx module. I am curious to know for sure if the new Nextwave is in the same boat as Airwave, since TBS specs don't mention it specifically.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast