FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tile - Locate anything with an app

Tile - Locate anything with an app

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Navigator
    The possibilities are endless for FPV,( only problem is my phone is always the first thing I lose)
    Im here because Im waiting for glue to dry.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by bolt View Post
    The possibilities are endless for FPV,( only problem is my phone is always the first thing I lose)
    Sounds good but what is the range? If you lose your fpv model in a field how many people are going to pick that up on their phone? I guess it would be good to stick to the tv remote ;-)

Man, I really gotta get to brainstorming so I can make my millions. The lost item and cloud function are brilliant. It doesn't seem like it has much range, and I would imagine if a bad guy saw that little tile, it would get thrown away. But, you could imbed it or hide it in things pretty easily.

The entire commercial only showed it being used with idevices, looking at the linked site above... it does not give any indication weather ti works with other devices as well.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    The entire commercial only showed it being used with idevices, looking at the linked site above... it does not give any indication weather ti works with other devices as well.
    The Facebook page says that Android devices are on the "roadmap" for use in the future but no date is set yet. I hate ios stuff sometimes. Love my droid.

Quote Originally Posted by BrittMac View Post
    The Facebook page says that Android devices are on the "roadmap" for use in the future but no date is set yet. I hate ios stuff sometimes. Love my droid.
    I should have known, they probably have a deal with apple... so that they can have a square with round corners and not get sued.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

suppose its all about range/battery life/price ratio for the beacon - and I suspect its not that great unfortunately. it probably uses bluetooth or wifi beacons for detection and rssi. also gives the UUIDs necessary for the cloud feature.

I saw some people saying it had around a 100-150ft range. I would assume that depends on the environment too, like walls and such.

And, the biggest gripe is that they are only good for a year and, ala Iphone, you can't replace the battery. It is a bummer, but still a good option for people.

Very interesting application for FPV. Say you lose your plane in a remote area that still has cell coverage. Even if these things only have a limited range, you just need to get any phone with the app in range of the Tile to get a location. So find an FPV buddy with a large plane like a Skyhunter, put your phone in it, and have them fly a search grid low over the area where your plane went down. If their plane comes in range of the Tile, it will show up on the cloud site, and you can look at that on another phone in real-time. It could definitely help narrow down the search area at the very least, and I could see that being very useful in thick brush or something that would take forever to search on foot and where the plane might not be easily visible.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

+ Reply to Thread