Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STOP THE UHF INTERFERENCE FROM YOUR GO-PRO CAMERA(s)

STOP THE UHF INTERFERENCE FROM YOUR GO-PRO CAMERA(s)

** THE BLING-PRO **

Ok --- it's a known fact that the GoPro can hurt your 433mHz receiver - even with good separation. I had a "come to Jesus" moment related to this "feature" (LOL) 21 miles out on what was bound to be a 30 mile flight. I erred on the side of caution and brought the rig home safely.

What's not generally known is that the interference from the SD card slot can be made better/worse based on the SD card used. I'd start a list of what cards are "better/worse" - but I've learned through my testing that this is camera specific (believe it or not). A "quiet" card in one camera can be a "noisy" card in another.

My testing is "real world" for everything that I do. Not bc I don't believe in meters and testing tools - but I don't fly those. I prefer old school ground and air testing. BUT - the beauty of FPVLAB is we have some great guys with analyzers that have brought hard data to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by dronemotion View Post

-GoPro HD

-GoPro HD 2

This was my fix : THE BLING PRO

The product I use is DATAK Circuit Fix - purchased here : http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/

But you don't have to just take my word for it...

Quote Originally Posted by terabyte View Post
    BlingPro Terabyte Edition

This shit works guys. I confirmed it with my RF Explorer. The SD card slot still spews out bunch of noise so I made a little tab of the copper tape to go over it but its still removable. Serves to keep the SD card in the slot during a crash too.
    And for you "meters and tools and analyzers types" - here are some hard numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by terabyte View Post
    OK Sentry I test out the bling pro. in the front with the antenna on the rf explorer right over the LCD I get about -89db after the copper tape.
    with antenna touching the rear of the gopro i get MAYBE 1-2db over my noise floor. about 6 inches away i get no detectable noise over my noise floor about -100db.

-79db before -101+\- 2db after.

all testing done while recording.
    Well - not to be outdone --- someone took my "low tech" trick and made it high-tec... watch and learn..

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdeyepro View Post
    I took the idea of the BlingPro a step further. I created a template of the hero3 which I print, cut and trace.

I bought some of this copper shielding (which has adhesive on the back) and stuck it on some freezer paper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then traced my GoPro template onto it and cut it out. This allows me to add the shielding non-permanently. A couple strips of tape keeps it together nicely. I don't have anything at the moment to test the effectiveness of the shielding.

:
    These are attached to the post.

Here are the links (so that if there are improvements to the design they will supercede the attachments.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SENTRY; 28th March 2013 at 06:37 PM.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

I line the inside of my cam box with copper tape ... as well as a single layer on the camera itself.
    Last edited by SENTRY; 26th March 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Instructor Pilot
    ...and this is why this place rocks! its not about the warm and fuzzies, we get down to the root cause of problems and fixes that work.

Im looking into this book right as this was posted to learn more about this stuff. Anyone have experience with it?
    http://www.amazon.com/The-ARRL-RFI-B...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Mudlark had his HD3 wrapped like this - was cool to see, just building a farraday cage around the camera.

Ingenious
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Thanks for posting my method! Can you edit the post to use the box.com links and not attachments uploaded to the forums? Just want to be sure we provide access to the latest templates. Thanks!

^^ I'll add it

had no idea go pros were so noisy!
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Bring on the bling!!
    "You can't take the sky from me"

are you guys grounding the copper shield at all, or is it not even necessary?

has anyone tried aluminum 'dryer vent tape' to see if it is as effective as copper, possibly as an alternative, lower cost solution? I know copper tape is pricey, and aluminum dryer vent tape is readily available at most all home improvement shops.

great research data guys, this is one reason this place rocks.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

No - you don't have to ground it - it's overkill. I mentioned in the video that I tried aluminum tape and it's not as effective AT ALL.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast