FPVLAB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: flying fast and low , show me the gear to make this possible

Navigator
    You are new to FPV but are you new to RC airplanes as well ?
    If so the low and fast route will be even more failure and wasted money..

You will have LOADS of fun with a cheap wing clipped, reinforced Bixler with a upgraded motor/esc at low altitude. And the less you spend ,the more chances you can allow yourself.
    And get a good camera, it really increases the experience. I have not tried the TBS69. But have the Pixim Seawolf and it is great for tree bashing.

RE: flying fast and low , show me the gear to make this possible

Mac go all in with time not money. To get to formula 1 you start in go carts. Learn the basics with a cheap plane like a pop wing. You will crash it and destroy it eventually ... Having it cost 500 instead of 200 won't help you learn. Reward yourself with better gear when you reach a milestone of some kind.

If you want it to feel like full scale get a crappy plane and fly long range...LOL. The low altitude things that people do in fpv are nothing like full scale.
    Last edited by Hucker; 15th January 2013 at 10:45 AM.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Nike 2/Blue Fin/Radian Pro/HoneyBadger/MiniMonkey, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by daggad View Post
    You are new to FPV but are you new to RC airplanes as well ?
    If so the low and fast route will be even more failure and wasted money..

You will have LOADS of fun with a cheap wing clipped, reinforced Bixler with a upgraded motor/esc at low altitude. And the less you spend ,the more chances you can allow yourself.
    And get a good camera, it really increases the experience. I have not tried the TBS69. But have the Pixim Seawolf and it is great for tree bashing.
    Hehe, no i have about 200 hours flying balsa biplanes , seaplanes , extras , cap 3d so forth ,
    only gas/glow thou.

its a new bold step for me and hopefully i can push the boundarys of FPV as it is today .

/Martin

Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    I only fly low and first off your are going overboard. Super low you need a plane that can handle the hits into the ground. An EPP wing is great choice for this. Keep it light as when you hit the ground/tree (you will) it won't break up as easy and you gear will live longer.

1. video doesn't matter if you want speed. I dodge trees on 5.8ghz no problem. I would recommend 2.4ghz though as it is better for tree dodging. you can get a cp antenna on there easier and ground station is smaller than 1.2ghz.
    2. 35ghz is fine. be careful of the antenna dragging on the ground when going low. (my basher is 35mhz ... antenna does get beat up at times) - see video for antenna pulls.
    3. EPP wing
    4. CMQ1993X (same and pz20 but with ir blocked). keep the camera cheap but good.
    5. eosd cause going low range is never a problem and getting lost doesn't happen. knowing voltage is cause you aren't thinking about time.
    6. just not needed. get a crosshair or alex's new pepperbox

View this video on YouTube

I promise everyone this year I will record more/new movies. been very lazy and need to show off the real flying. lol
    Really nice video and flying?

I was thinking to go a bit this way for next summer and I was thinking about a funjet also.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=249
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=597

But... you recommend little flying wing. So, I always listen the pro, what are you flying and with what ESC/Motor/prop combos ?

I have a ZII and I love it, So, may be a mini ZII is a better choice!
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

Stole from scotttu

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post

its a new bold step for me and hopefully i can push the boundarys of FPV as it is today .

/Martin
    Like your attitude !!

Speed at low level isn't as easy as it seems. This above is my relaxing low level plane (slowish). I now use it as my practise wing .. well did until I destroyed it. It is DIY so I am just going to rebuild it. It was completely home built. Going 100km/h doing these things isn't easy. Wind pops these craft all over the place and you don't get a lot of time to react. So holding it down like I have above take practise. . Once you have that then process to a faster plane. doing it at speed and not screwing up is fun though (flying around I can no longer do with enjoyment). wings are great as they have little surface area to catch onto to things (branches, grass). They cut through the air well (small ground wind gusts).

lots of skills to learn in low level flying.
    1. going through trees. How to aim them up. no over steering. getting used to static drops
    2. going through multiple trees.
    3. turning through trees (attacking them from the side and turning through the gap).
    4. attacking same trees but staying low. (gain height after)
    5. staying low
    6. staying through trees (while repeating the above)

it is one hell of a buildup just to get there. Then you add speed to it and around trees you get slight wind gusts ... speed you hit the ground quick. Get a combat wing. slap a camera on it and hold on. it is a rush. I will say it again .... if you want to learn to low fly, GET A EPP wing.

The tsb69 camera has custom firmware on it. It is not just rebranded and it is better than the stock. I have seen the picture from it and it looks great but I always head towards the sony 600 as the difference to me is minor.
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    Speed at low level isn't as easy as it seems. This above is my relaxing low level plane (slowish). I now use it as my practise wing .. well did until I destroyed it. It is DIY so I am just going to rebuild it. It was completely home built. Going 100km/h doing these things isn't easy. Wind pops these craft all over the place and you don't get a lot of time to react. So holding it down like I have above take practise. . Once you have that then process to a faster plane. doing it at speed and not screwing up is fun though (flying around I can no longer do with enjoyment). wings are great as they have little surface area to catch onto to things (branches, grass). They cut through the air well (small ground wind gusts).

lots of skills to learn in low level flying.
    1. going through trees. How to aim them up. no over steering. getting used to static drops
    2. going through multiple trees.
    3. turning through trees (attacking them from the side and turning through the gap).
    4. attacking same trees but staying low. (gain height after)
    5. staying low
    6. staying through trees (while repeating the above)

it is one hell of a buildup just to get there. Then you add speed to it and around trees you get slight wind gusts ... speed you hit the ground quick. Get a combat wing. slap a camera on it and hold on. it is a rush. I will say it again .... if you want to learn to low fly, GET A EPP wing.

The tsb69 camera has custom firmware on it. It is not just rebranded and it is better than the stock. I have seen the picture from it and it looks great but I always head towards the sony 600 as the difference to me is minor.

Hi Whaka
    You and i seem to have similar goals about fpv, were after the adrenaline , not soaring or high definition pictures .
    A EPP wing would definatly cover my needs . its not pretty, but its durable and suficiantly fast , ritewing Demon comes to mind its a airslicer, gotta keep the profile low thou .
    No big Gopros that adds drag, just a small camera preferably under a canopy .

The choice of plane seems to be a lesser concern, its the tx /rx that i am focusing on . i need a good feed that can cope with the speed and the low level flight, and these upcoming obstacles that causes static .i dont think i can totally get rid of it.

im gonna aim for going 200km/h level flight , in bursts . flighttime = an optimistic 20 mins .. build it sleek and durable

so a revised list

1 . ritewing Demon/TL 50
    2. good batteries
    3. FS dominator
    4. TBS69 on a pan servo preferably
    5. CP/cloverleaf antennas .
    6. diversity
    7. 2.4 tx/rx 400mw
    8. carbon folding prop with agressive angles
    9. ezOS
    10. helmet

/Martin

When you buy your Tx get a sim Tx that has the little red button on it BECAUSE you are going to need it!!!

My tip for flying low: Don't try to ride the curves, just keep everything as straight as possible, a straight line that skims the highest sections:

View this video on YouTube

1:10 is an example. I find that if I get into a "wave" where I am over correcting I tend to crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odinsgaze View Post
    Another positive use of UAVs: Providing thousands of people with mystery, wonder and a purpose in life.
    NWFPV+

+ Reply to Thread