OK. Just here to quickly report I was not very successful last Saturday.
After my successful RC link range test, I had several issues:
- Rookiest of mistakes: Had elev servo plugged into rudd ch. and rudd servo plugged into elev. ch. so after launch I tried to push nose down, instead it banked, I cut throttle and it lawn-darted from 10ft high breaking spinner and popping the pan servo out.
- Tried again after fixing what I thought were all the issues, but was getting only like 200ft of video. Landed and discovered impact also broke a leg off the cloverleaf on a weak solder joint.
- I tried gluing the broken antenna leg, but it had very little improvement. I still only got like 300ft before video would cut out.
- Tried to fly a little bit at that limited range, and it was cool to be able to pan the camera to look around and stuff, but found it nerve wracking when I lost video and had to locate the plane where my spotter would point to specially since I could not go very far to gain enough altitude.
- Gave it up, removed all FPV gear from the Radian and flew LOS successfully using the FM system the the rest of the morning.
I still have not pulled the trigger on the RMRC 1258Mhz system mainly because I want to make sure I have done all I can with this cheap 900Mhz system. I want to truly feel I gave it my best effort. Since that CL antenna never got a chance to shine, I fixed if properly and I'm going to try that CL/SP combo again. I also made an Inverted Vee (airborne) and Center-fed dipole (ground) antenna set and will try those out too. Since then I already installed a new SAW filter on my VRx, so hopefully I get more range than 300ft this weekend. We'll see.
BTW, I could not find any other area for newbies to post "first time" rookie stories like this, so I hope doing it here is OK. Otherwise, please let me know.