PDA

View Full Version : New Skywalker "Condor", anyone flying one yet?

Keith
27th July 2012, 05:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone has one of these yet, or seen videos from one? It looks like this new Condor version is in between the 1680 and 1900 at 1880mm.

http://www.fpvflying.com/product_images/uploaded_images/Skywalker-platform.jpg

I've been wanting to do a Skywalker build for a while, and had not heard of this one until Sentry asked if I wanted one for laboring away on some behind the scenes stuff for the forum... lol (ok it's that that painful ;)) So it looks like I'll be getting a build underway sooner than I thought! (Thanks Sentry!)

I'm guessing it would benefit from the same 4S power system that people like on the other Skywalkers. Of course it's too early to lay out any specific plans just yet, but I'm thinking pretty much a typical Skywalker, shoot for some long range sightseeing missions. :)

h0tr0d
27th July 2012, 05:18 PM
Sweet dude! The wings are getting a little confusing for me lol. I'm picking up a 1900 used tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing your build!

ssassen
27th July 2012, 05:39 PM
Black EPO is a mistake, leave it out in the sun and you'll see it droop, bye-bye trims, bye-bye flight characteristics ...

Derrick
27th July 2012, 06:27 PM
Black EPO is a mistake, leave it out in the sun and you'll see it droop, bye-bye trims, bye-bye flight characteristics ...

Black EPO is for night operations... it makes it stealth!

Keith
27th July 2012, 06:32 PM
And for people that walk out the door and fly, no need to have it sitting around in the sun all day... lol

Seriously though I can see where white might be better, bit I don't mind the black. I kinda like it.

webdr
27th July 2012, 06:41 PM
I just ordered my 2nd Skywalkie today, the 1900mm.

1st one I had, the 1680mm, served me well for a year till I augered her in during a night flight. Im hoping for some extra lift to get me up to altitude on a few less mAh's.

Its my humble opinion that a 3s 5000mAh is all you need on a SW. With the right motor/prop combo they climb fast, cruise at a decent clip, and stay light.

h0tr0d
29th July 2012, 02:26 PM
My friends are telling me I'll need to mix in rudder with ailerons to get it to turn well on the 1900. Hopefully the "condor" wing, with it's larger ailerons will perform better for you.

With a lightweight fpv gear setup for long range, it's balancing out with 2x5000mAh 4cell packs laid end to end. I'm thinking (and hoping) that this configuration will yield 10+ miles of power on flight. I'll be doing the LOS re-maiden tomorrow hopefully with the FPV maiden to come as soon as the new OSD arrives for testing. Really looking forward to hearing about yours Keith.

Keith
29th July 2012, 02:56 PM
Sweet! Glad to hear yours is getting close! With 10Ah of power on tap, you should be tired of flying by the time you land... lol That's one thing I look forward to with the Skywalker, is long leisurely flights taking in the scenery!

Looking forward to your flight report with the 1900!

Scotttu
29th July 2012, 03:46 PM
Nice!!!!

WildWill
30th July 2012, 01:18 AM
I thought about the black version but with summer getting on I wanted to avoid the heat. It is cool looking though!

Hmerly
4th August 2012, 06:06 PM
Wouldn't all black make the thing heat up really fast in the hot sun? Not something i'd want to have all my electronics in.

pathfinder22
14th August 2012, 10:50 PM
My friends are telling me I'll need to mix in rudder with ailerons to get it to turn well on the 1900. Hopefully the "condor" wing, with it's larger ailerons will perform better for you.

With a lightweight fpv gear setup for long range, it's balancing out with 2x5000mAh 4cell packs laid end to end. I'm thinking (and hoping) that this configuration will yield 10+ miles of power on flight. I'll be doing the LOS re-maiden tomorrow hopefully with the FPV maiden to come as soon as the new OSD arrives for testing. Really looking forward to hearing about yours Keith.

It will. I have the 1900 and use 2 4cell 5000mAh 20c (sky lipo) and routinely fly over 10 miles and seldom use over 6.5 k mAh. I have mine stacked with a thin dbl sided tape and have them slid all the way to the back. Have to for COG as I have a GoPro and fpv cam on the nose on a servo for pan. I'm using Eagletee system with guardian and it flys great.

John-Aus
15th August 2012, 06:43 AM
I just ordered a 1880 Wood wing version.

Will let you know how it goes once I get it in the air.

John

ssassen
15th August 2012, 06:46 AM
Will let you know how it goes once I get it in the air.

John

To fold or not to fold that's the question!

John-Aus
15th August 2012, 09:04 AM
To fold or not to fold that's the question!

All I can say is that it should do things a lot better than a full foamy model including crash.

It is (I am told) white that will help a lot - except for the obvious.

I do however have access to lots of balsa and covering film in anticipation.

John

SENTRY
15th August 2012, 12:09 PM
Here's an idea :

3 main coatings used over foam in exterior applications... acrylic, polyurethane and silicone. Acrylic is the most economical, silicones last the longest without their physical properties changing. Both acrylic and silicone coatings are considered breathers (allowing water vapor to pass into and out of the foam). The other type of coating used most often is polyurethane. Polyurethane coatings typically have the highest tensile strength and can be either a vapor retarder or a breather (depending on the formula).

Also - lam may also help with this. I haven't heard of any1 with the black X8 having issues.

picard
17th August 2012, 09:15 PM
Received my Skywalker Condor 1880 today. I'll do a build as soon as I research.
here's first impressions video.

http://youtu.be/X_fqbbMqp0w

SENTRY
18th August 2012, 01:00 PM
FPVPLASTICS is doing a review (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?7707-SKYWALKER-CONDOR-188) as well.

durangoflyer
18th August 2012, 05:43 PM
Subscribed

picard
22nd August 2012, 12:13 AM
Im posting my Condor Thread at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716095

Keith
22nd August 2012, 02:56 AM
Im posting my Condor Thread at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716095

Looks good! Still no word in terms of a shipping date on mine... lol I caved and ordered a white 1900 for the time being, should be here tomorrow!

Addy
22nd August 2012, 05:56 PM
I have one, fly's really nice (even in the hot sun last weekend 32 degrees c) maybe i'll have some film tomorrow.
Have 2 3s 5000 mah packs in front but sunday i flew for about 20-25 mins and used 1700 mah so u can fly some time with her.
Nice airplane for the money and lots of room.

John-Aus
22nd August 2012, 11:49 PM
I got a black one - err skywalker I mean.

Looks the goods - nice finish and feels pretty stiff.

I'll only be building this up slowly over the next few weeks but will check in from time to time - CG looks like 110mm from LE should be a goodplace to start by the sounds of things.

Will join and stiffen with epoxy and some fibreglass - I also bought a Glass Fibre belly protection for it will epoxy that into place also.

John

ssassen
23rd August 2012, 04:43 AM
Do NOT use epoxy on EPO, it won't last. Use contact cement or CA, that will provide a durable and lasting bond.

Addy
23rd August 2012, 04:10 PM
Here is my Condor,

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/585/1003174z.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/1003174z.jpg/)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1993/1003172q.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/1003172q.jpg/)

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3159/1003171u.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/1003171u.jpg/)

Flew today and i am uploading video right now, nothing special just trying to get right pictures for work.
Was bit windy so i could't keep her on track for good shots.

Addy

Scotttu
23rd August 2012, 04:42 PM
Yep, after I retire the Zephyr I am getting one of those, that's hot.
Zephyr has a mission to accomplish first :D

chicken sashimi
23rd August 2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah..these look sweet! DO WANT!

AaronHartwell
29th August 2012, 04:23 PM
I love the way black FPV planes look. With that said, I had a plane go down recently and was able to spot it by visually scanning a bunch of terrain near the last known coordinates. If my plane were black I'm pretty sure I would have never found it. Of course, the goal is to never go down. :)

picard
6th September 2012, 05:40 PM
Here is my latest vid with some hands off landings in FBW, Radio shutoff RTH and a power off descending RTH.
http://youtu.be/Q2puFnAmKMs

HackNFly
9th September 2012, 01:51 AM
Would you recommend the condor over a normal skywalker?

BCSaltchucker
9th September 2012, 02:59 PM
Yep, after I retire the Zephyr I am getting one of those, that's hot.
Zephyr has a mission to accomplish first :D

I am tempted to build one w landing gear around ardupilot using my Z2 electrics. But I worry it wont be as good as the zeph inwind. Too many windy days here, but the Z2 flies no matter what. Maybe w the 1.9m size it will be good enough in wind?

Turbodriven
18th September 2012, 10:56 AM
For anyone interested, here are a few videos I've made with my Black 1880 Condor Skywalker. Both days were a tiny bit breezy but not windy. I think also that I need to add in some more expo. My small roll axis adjustments are a bit jerky. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZfOa8djb4&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnbbaFLc-oY&hd=1

hefest
21st September 2012, 05:42 AM
For anyone interested, here are a few videos I've made with my Black 1880 Condor Skywalker. Both days were a tiny bit breezy but not windy. I think also that I need to add in some more expo. My small roll axis adjustments are a bit jerky. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZfOa8djb4&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnbbaFLc-oY&hd=1

Dude, not that its not mainstream, but you have all the same equipment as me, except the RangeLink LRS and flying thing itself :)
Suggestion, point that #16 808 a bit downward to catch more land and less sky, otherwise land is too dark.

Turbodriven
21st September 2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've just converted over to a gopro2 on the nose and I've already made it a point to aim it down more.

hefest
21st September 2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've just converted over to a gopro2 on the nose and I've already made it a point to aim it down more.
I bet you've noticed drag increase ;)

Turbodriven
21st September 2012, 10:56 AM
Haven't flown with it yet. I'm sure though. And I need to shift the battery around a bit to maintain the original CG too.

Scotttu
21st September 2012, 02:06 PM
I love the teeth on it - where'd you find those at?
And the tune too, love it!

Wow, nicely done, CG looks a tad back but coulda been the camera angle. Dual rates would smooth that out on the bumps.

Torn even more now, after we restored all the servers last night I had a few minutes so I went back over my TBS playlist and fell in love with my Zephyr again LOL....
Huge difference between the two.....decisions decisions....

WildWill
21st September 2012, 02:10 PM

Wow, nicely done, CG looks a tad back but coulda been the camera angle. Dual rates would smooth that out on the bumps.

Torn even more now, after we restored all the servers last night I had a few minutes so I went back over my TBS playlist and fell in love with my Zephyr again LOL....
Huge difference between the two.....decisions decisions....

No need to be torn, have both!! :)

Turbodriven
21st September 2012, 02:25 PM

I cut the teeth out of ebay bought, self adhered sign vinyl. A tedious job but with good results. And it's not permanent like paint.

I'm thinking some additional expo should smooth out the little bit of aileron jerkiness. But coupling with dual rates might help too. My concern though is that this thing really doesn't turn very well as it is. Maybe if I dial down the rates AND program in some rudder mix. Dunno. Still a work in progress for sure.

http://photos.napalm.net/clubsi/IMG_20120728_085718a.jpg

Turbodriven
24th September 2012, 10:05 AM
Here is another video. I dialed in more expo and I now have the Gopro2 running as my primary flight camera and HD recording device. I like it better than my previous setup. Switch to 1080p and full screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVma8AFr7Y&hd=1

ssassen
24th September 2012, 10:07 AM
Do NOT, repeat, Do NOT, use any HD camera's AV-out as your primary video feed, always use a separate CCD/CMOS camera for piloting.

Turbodriven
24th September 2012, 10:41 AM
Care to explain why? It seemed to work flawlessly for me last weekend.

viper522
24th September 2012, 10:45 AM
That's an incredible field Turbodriven! Like the plane, too.

ssassen
24th September 2012, 10:47 AM
Considering you have 17 posts to your name I'll just chalk this one up to lack of experience :D

HD cameras are prone to shut down under all sorts of conditions, battery empty, card full, overheating, too cold, card bad sectors, firmware freeze, random lockup, etc.

In any such case the AV-out is gone and hence you have nothing to pilot by, ergo conclusio > your precious FPV plane crashes.

Now a CCD or CMOS CCTV camera is designed to be used 24/7 for years on end, hence the chances of such a camera giving out are slim to none and at least magnitudes better than that of a HD camera.

So always use a separate CCD/CMOS camera for piloting.

Turbodriven
24th September 2012, 11:12 AM
I might be a newbie on this board, but I've been on RCGroups for the better part of a decade. Never-the-less... I can understand your points, but I'm not really sure any of them are valid worries. Worse case I can flip the RTH switch on my NOVA OSD and then land it LOS when it comes into view. I rarely fly more than a mile away anyway. But I'm thinking the circumstances you spoke of are a RARE occurrence. Most of the larger FPV suppliers even sell Gopro video out cables for this purpose... so it can't be that bad of an idea. At least not one where peoples planes are falling out of the sky all the time.

ssassen
24th September 2012, 11:17 AM
Up to you buddy, just don't start crying on here if you loose your plane due to your GoPro having an off day. In this hobby you need to act responsible and think about the worst-case scenario and rule out as many possible causes of failure, the GoPro, or any other HD camera is one of them.

Or would you like your FPV plane to fly itself into the windshield of a family sedan in busy traffic when the HD camera acts up because you are too cheap to add a second CCD/CMOS camera?

Turbodriven
24th September 2012, 11:28 AM
Do you see any family sedans or busy traffic in my videos? Where I fly the worst I'm going to do is run into a tree (or an elusive power line :p) . But thank you for the concern.

Scotttu
24th September 2012, 01:51 PM
I might be a newbie on this board, but I've been on RCGroups for the better part of a decade. Never-the-less... I can understand your points, but I'm not really sure any of them are valid worries.

LOL Thanks for the chuckle this morning! That would make a great signature line...

Case in point, buddy of mine is just getting into FPV, but he does have a Gopro he uses for aerial photography and usually flies LOS.

After an hour of flying around I put the goggles on and he was flying while I spotted....oh..........but that GoPro battery is only 3.7v and only about 11oo mah?
Yeah he had to land, ran out of battery. Imagine that happening 2 miles away.

It's a very bad idea in my opinionn unless you want to do it as a 2nd transmitter system for others to see - I will say the video WAS nice out of the GoPro but you have a 4 to one odds of something going wrong.
Battery
Plugged in cable (my opinion)
They definitely get warm!
Why doesn't it happen more? Because most people are aware of the risks.

Oh and then there's the times that the GoPro falls off the plane :D :D My fault 100% but the weight of the GoPro makes the mounting that much more critical.
This was a bad launch, cracked my wooden GoPro case, hit a bump and voila....video is on u-tube.

http://www.tngbbs.com/photo/rc/EZStar/EZStilShot.jpg

ssassen
24th September 2012, 02:12 PM
Why doesn't it happen more? Because most people are aware of the risks.

That is one reason why, the other is because most folks aren't that keen on admitting to their mistakes so rather keep quiet, especially when folks have already warned them not to do something .... (use a HD cam as main camera, dual battery setups, use RTH without extensively testing it first, etc. etc.).

Nobody really likes to get 'I told you so' comments after just losing a ~$1000 RC plane.

Turbodriven
24th September 2012, 02:14 PM
We are really getting off topic here. But isn't the Gopro battery rated at 2.5hrs of life? It's a sports action camera, what good is only 1 hour. Besides... this can all be easily nullified by using the usb connector for external (monitored) power. What I mean is use an external BEC to power it though the usb slot on the side. With an external power supply that I can monitor though my OSD. And at 1080p a 32gig card has a 4.5 hour recording life. I've read though other experiences on the "other" forum though that running out of card space on a gopro2 has no effect on the video out.

Anyway, all this taken to heart, I do still have my PZ0420 board camera to use. I'm might just carve a small hole in the nose for it to peek through, and then put a camera switch on it that I have. In the event of an emergency I can flip the toggle and switch over to camera #2 in 1/2 a second.

Scotttu
24th September 2012, 03:39 PM
Rated and real world experience are two different things. I can say I've gone 1.5hrs in timelapse stuff and it was on it's last bar - my batteries are definitelyi good too, got two of em here.

Back on topic - a buddy of mine local that FLIES with the GoPro (and is heeding my warning NOT to do this as he cannot afford to replace his setup) - he just bought the new black Condor - I tried to talk him into buying GOGGLES so he could SEE where he was flying but alas..........so at least I'll get to see one of these very soon.

chicken sashimi
22nd December 2012, 11:41 PM
Hey guys.. I'm kinda sold on the Condor and since this thread hasn't seen a lot of action lately, i'm curious to hear people's experiences with the 1880.

While I'll build this airframe to feature a PT setup and I intend to fly it pretty relaxed to enjoy the scenery, I still want to be able to get good vertical climb rates.
I assume a 4S setup would be the way to go.. since I have a stack of 3300 packs for my zephyr, I wouldn't mind using the same on this Condor.

Would a turnigy G10 be overkill on a plane like this?

Current motors I have in my inventory are:
Turnigy G10. (1100kv)
PZ 960kv (out of a F4F wildcat)
Exceed Rocket 2215-1500kv.

Which one would suit the airframe best? (if any?)

Thoughts and impressions on this airframe would be great to hear.
Mods that you might have done would be good to know too.
Also, where did you buy yours?

Thanks!

hefest
23rd December 2012, 06:40 AM
I have high hopes for a Condor on the table i have right now.
I expected thinner wing profile comparing to 1680mm but eyeballing it, it doesnt look like thats the case.
So far:

Small plywood frames to support mounting servos in tail (servos screwed in instead of glue)
Some control horns replaced and some reinforced with piece of balsa. Are of contact between the original control horns and foam is quite small.
reinforced elevator control surface with 1x3mm strip and all control surfaces dressed in thin foil.
Enlarged motor mount to be able to swing 10x6 prop.
Dipole LRS antenna built in tail.

To do:

wing roots (6cm) glassed (something for the rubber bands to bite in)

part of the fuse where the wings meet the fuse also glassed together with the motor mount.

Glassed front bottom of the fuse (landing aid) and part of the vertical stab.

Glass cloth that I'm going to use is very light and amount of epoxy used will be kept at minimum.
I'm still in doubt weather to reinforce the main wings with the carbon strips since the rod already supplied is quite stiff.

Also, where did you buy yours?

Ordered here (http://www.fpvmania.com/SkyWalker%20Condor%201800mm).

John-Aus
23rd March 2013, 05:58 AM
Just starting to build mine, had it in the garage for more than 6 months.

Seems to be quite a quick build.

John

RcLab1
23rd March 2013, 03:44 PM
That video is 'choppy?'