PDA

View Full Version : OSD Opinions - (Yes another OSD thread)

MrMike
30th September 2013, 08:09 PM
I have searched through these threads and still don't have all of the information I want (Need?)
I have a Fat Shark Predator kit. It works great on my Blade 350 QX quad. Being a newbie at all this and this is my 1st try at FPV I'm looking for simple, not too expensive, OSD. GPS, RSSI, battery usage, Altimeter, and a pointer to show me where home is pretty much all I'm looking for. I have seen the you tube videos with the horizon and GPS coord's and some other info I have no idea about. It all looks pretty cool but I'm sure it comes at a price. Whether it's monetary or assembly skills or both.
What I'd like to know is what would be a good OSD that basically hooks up in-line with my Fat Shark kit and doesn't require me to make "Y" hookups for this that and the other. I like simple, but yet I'm cheap. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on OSD. There's not a lot of room on my 350QX so I would like a minimum of modules. Are there any OSD guru's out there that can steer me in the right path? I looked at the ImmersionRC EZOSD. It has everything you could want from what I could tell but it seems a bit pricey. I'm I being too much of a tight wad? This is for short range FPV, a 1/2 mile or less. I don't think I'm ready for the long range stuff yet. What are your opinions.

sparkyincali
1st October 2013, 01:48 AM
Well if you want it simple with plug and play with your Fatsharks the ezosd would be the way to go.It uses all the same connectors and it designed to work well with all immersion/Fatshark stuff.

vr6tvw
1st October 2013, 11:57 AM
I have searched through these threads and still don't have all of the information I want (Need?)
I have a Fat Shark Predator kit. It works great on my Blade 350 QX quad. Being a newbie at all this and this is my 1st try at FPV I'm looking for simple, not too expensive, OSD. GPS, RSSI, battery usage, Altimeter, and a pointer to show me where home is pretty much all I'm looking for. I have seen the you tube videos with the horizon and GPS coord's and some other info I have no idea about. It all looks pretty cool but I'm sure it comes at a price. Whether it's monetary or assembly skills or both.
What I'd like to know is what would be a good OSD that basically hooks up in-line with my Fat Shark kit and doesn't require me to make "Y" hookups for this that and the other. I like simple, but yet I'm cheap. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money on OSD. There's not a lot of room on my 350QX so I would like a minimum of modules. Are there any OSD guru's out there that can steer me in the right path? I looked at the ImmersionRC EZOSD. It has everything you could want from what I could tell but it seems a bit pricey. I'm I being too much of a tight wad? This is for short range FPV, a 1/2 mile or less. I don't think I'm ready for the long range stuff yet. What are your opinions.

MrMike. Glad you presented that questions. I am in the same boat as you. My first FPV setup
Using the Blade 350qx.

Please keep us posted, let us know what direction you decided to go.

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 01:00 AM
I have a blade 350 QX coming later this month, and also have fat shark pred v2 gear with spironet, and upgraded camera.

I was pondering getting the ezosd as well, but, and worried that the gps from the QX and ezOSD may conflict.

Could this be a potential issue?

Also how are you guys mounting your FPV gear to the QX?

Pics?

Dust
10th October 2013, 01:15 AM
the 350qx likely will never be a long range ship. So why the OSD? You cant put UHF on it, and you always have RTL.
set a timer. listen to it.
Put an osd on something you build (so you understand), not something you buy rtf in a box (no clue about the workings, other than "it works").
besides, the GPS's will (im guessing) mess with each other.
Itll make a great parkflyer ship, but i dont see much of a use for it since its going to be pretty limited in range.

Its a hobby model, but its not built to accommodate what we'd likely want to put on a fpv ship.

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 01:21 AM
True

It may not be a long range FPV flier, and no you can't add UHF, but, with an OSD it would be great for Aeriel filming to know your altitude, course heading, and lipo power left ect.

It could always be removed

My issue is, I wanna know if the GPS's will conflict.

I see some people have issues with Naza in this instance

the 350qx likely will never be a long range ship. So why the OSD? You cant put UHF on it, and you always have RTL.
Put an osd on something you build (so you understand), not something you buy rtf in a box (no clue about the workings, other than "it works").
Itll make a great parkflyer ship, but i dont see much of a use for it since its going to be pretty limited in range.

Its a hobby model, but its not built to accommodate what we'd likely want to put on a fpv ship.

swillhide
10th October 2013, 02:58 AM
The more parts you add on a rig the more points of failure and more noise introduced into the system. If your flying something small add a IRC Ezosd but leave off the current sensor ( Since that is the biggest noise maker on the Ezosd)

swillhide
10th October 2013, 02:59 AM
Oh and GPS's are only RX's to they will ever conflict. You start running into the GPS issue once you start using 1.3g video tx.

MrMike
10th October 2013, 08:42 AM

Your right, it's not a long range FPV ship. I bought it for a couple of reasons other than FPV. I always wanted to try flying a quad and this seemed to fit the bill for the most "bang for my buck". I also didn't want to start FPV on a plane. At least with a quad I can stop and hover, look around etc. without head tracking or any other control other than the quad. This was the keep it simple part. This is giving me a way to just start up with a basic setup, see how much I like it, and grow from there. I'm finding orientation a bit of a challenge while looking through my goggles so I thought may be an OSD would give me a little more information to work with. It's turning out to be a great video platform and with FPV I can see exactly where I'm panning my shots. I don't need a voltage monitor at this point, a timer does just fine. But Altitude would be a great help as I really can't tell how high I am while looking through the goggles and when I try to get low I'm worried about hitting the ground. I figure after I get used to FPV on here, I'll get another Tx and camera, etc. and mount it on my Apprentice. The Predator V2 kit seems to work great for short range but I noticed about a 1/4 mile out my video feed is about gone. Razors 33, I'll try to get some pics up later today.

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks mike

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 10:05 AM
Ok good to know

Thanks

vr6tvw
10th October 2013, 12:10 PM
Your right, it's not a long range FPV ship. I bought it for a couple of reasons other than FPV. I always wanted to try flying a quad and this seemed to fit the bill for the most "bang for my buck". I also didn't want to start FPV on a plane. At least with a quad I can stop and hover, look around etc. without head tracking or any other control other than the quad. This was the keep it simple part. This is giving me a way to just start up with a basic setup, see how much I like it, and grow from there. I'm finding orientation a bit of a challenge while looking through my goggles so I thought may be an OSD would give me a little more information to work with. It's turning out to be a great video platform and with FPV I can see exactly where I'm panning my shots. I don't need a voltage monitor at this point, a timer does just fine. But Altitude would be a great help as I really can't tell how high I am while looking through the goggles and when I try to get low I'm worried about hitting the ground. I figure after I get used to
FPV on here, I'll get another Tx and camera, etc. and mount it on my Apprentice. The Predator V2 kit seems to work great for short range but I noticed about a 1/4 mile out my video feed is about gone. Razors 33, I'll try to get some pics up later today.

+1

I agree with you.

sparkyincali
10th October 2013, 12:19 PM
You need to get used to the perspective of fpv related height. I can tell you I would never trust my ezosd to keep me from hitting the ground. Gps error on a good day can be up to 9ft and altitude is the least accurate of a Gps position. Its also relative to where you start from. A lot of times my ezosd shows negative altitude because I started out from a higher spot than where I am flying. The best add on you can get to increase your fpv abilities on a quad are more batteries. More flight time and experience is worth way more than any add on.

MrMike
10th October 2013, 12:36 PM
@Razors 33, Let me know what kind of range you get. I was expecting a bit more than a 1/4 mile and I have the Spironet antenna's that was suggested. Hobby King said I would get quite a bit more range but I'm not seeing it.

Here's my setup. You'll notice I used velcro to hold the Tx and the power regulator down. I wanted to keep it temporary but it holds really well. The camera is strapped to a small board and then wrapped with a wire tie and I just used rubber bands to hold it onto the GoPro mount. This works really well for me.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107247047470526906787/albums/5933149796925629201?banner=pwa

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 12:58 PM
I will do

With Spiro straight line of sight you should get 1-2 kms

I can't view link?

swillhide
10th October 2013, 12:59 PM
Gotta sign up for google+

MrMike
10th October 2013, 01:01 PM
Try this one.
https://plus.google.com/photos/107247047470526906787/albums/5933149796925629201?banner=pwa&authkey=COfTrZH0tunnTg

vr6tvw
10th October 2013, 01:09 PM
Try this one.
https://plus.google.com/photos/107247047470526906787/albums/5933149796925629201?banner=pwa&authkey=COfTrZH0tunnTg

Thank you MrMike.

The link is good now.

swillhide
10th October 2013, 01:13 PM
With that small of a rig your really really hindered on adding too much without major risk of overloading, physically and electronically.

MrMike
10th October 2013, 01:15 PM
You need to get used to the perspective of fpv related height. I can tell you I would never trust my ezosd to keep me from hitting the ground. Gps error on a good day can be up to 9ft and altitude is the least accurate of a Gps position. Its also relative to where you start from. A lot of times my ezosd shows negative altitude because I started out from a higher spot than where I am flying. The best add on you can get to increase your fpv abilities on a quad are more batteries. More flight time and experience is worth way more than any add on.

So your saying it's not that accurate? Hmm... That could be an issue and 9ft is quite a bit of error. I may have to re-think this. I can't agree with you more about practice. I get in as much time as I can. I have 2 batteries now and that still gets me a lot of down time charging them. May be I'll just buy some more batteries and wait on adding the OSD.
Thanks for the info!

MrMike
10th October 2013, 01:21 PM
With that small of a rig your really really hindered on adding too much without major risk of overloading, physically and electronically.

your correct. The 350's aren't that big. And from what I'm starting to understand is that an OSD will not be as helpful as I thought. Perhaps this is something I'll revisit when I start working on my plane where I have more payload and power capacity.

vr6tvw
10th October 2013, 01:23 PM
So your saying it's not that accurate? Hmm... That could be an issue and 9ft is quite a bit of error. I may have to re-think this. I can't agree with you more about practice. I get in as much time as I can. I have 2 batteries now and that still gets me a lot of down time charging them. May be I'll just buy some more batteries and wait on adding the OSD.
Thanks for the info!

This will help with extra load and flight time.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-60c-5300-3s1p-3333.html

vr6tvw
10th October 2013, 01:30 PM
This will help with the extra payload and run time!

350QX+GoPro Hero2 hard case+ 5.8Gz 400mw VTX+7.2V on board video bat. almost 20Min run time.

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for pics mike

No vibrations,?

MrMike
10th October 2013, 03:01 PM
Nope. At least none that I can notice. I did take some video with the GoPro and the buzz or roll that you see on some videos is not apparent on mine.
I think it's the rubber boots they put on the mount that took care of it. Either way, I use the CCD for FPV. I tried using the GoPro but the picture was dark and it doesn't handle the sun well. I get a much better image through the CCD camera.

Stringer
10th October 2013, 03:28 PM
For what you're trying to do, you really don't need a lot of the information in most OSDs. Sure, it looks nice and geeky, something you can show off to friends. In reality, the most you may need is the flight lipo voltage since it can accurately represent how much battery power you have left.

What I highly recommend though is for you to get a DVR for your video feed. That'll help you locate the quad when it crashes and for tuning your fpv gear.

MrMike
10th October 2013, 03:40 PM
A DVR would be a nice addition. Then I could get rid of the GoPro. It really does fly better without it. What tuning are you referring to? I didn't see anything in my documentation about tuning. What would you recommend for the voltage monitor? Something like this? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18588__Hobbyking_2_8S_Cell_Checker_with_Low_Volt age_Alarm.html

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 03:43 PM
Does the current sensor affect video quality or transmission?
I'm

Stringer
10th October 2013, 03:52 PM
This is the OSD you'll want to use: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__35419__Super_Simple_Mini_OSD_System_for_FPV.html

The DVR allows you to review your video feed so you can compare different channels and analyze the different quirks and nuances in terms of video quality, interference, etc, while flying in different sites, or quad orientation (e.g., the signal better when the quad is facing you), or any other related behavior (e.g., does the interference get worst as you increase throttle, or when you are near power lines).

Stringer
10th October 2013, 03:56 PM
Does the current sensor affect video quality or transmission?
I'm

If you're talking about current sensors in general then the answer is it may, as some might be spewing interference that gets picked up by the video wires.

For most quads or anything short range, you really don't need a current sensor. Voltage readings are more reflective of the current state of your lipo.

It'll only be worthwhile when you go into multi-kilometer ranges where metrics such as mAh/km would be useful for estimating how far you can go.

MrMike
10th October 2013, 04:08 PM
This is the OSD you'll want to use: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__35419__Super_Simple_Mini_OSD_System_for_FPV.html

The DVR allows you to review your video feed so you can compare different channels and analyze the different quirks and nuances in terms of video quality, interference, etc, while flying in different sites, or quad orientation (e.g., the signal better when the quad is facing you), or any other related behavior (e.g., does the interference get worst as you increase throttle, or when you are near power lines).

Wow, $9 is a whole lot better than the $180 I was looking at. It appears this has a voltmeter, stopwatch, and signal strength and just connects in-line between the camera and the Tx.
Thanks, I don't think it can get any simpler than that.

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 04:09 PM
Not sure, if I'd trust a $10 HK osc

Lol

Stringer
10th October 2013, 04:43 PM
Not sure, if I'd trust a $10 HK osc

Lol

A lot of good flyers are using it. Just do a google search for Super Simple OSD and you'd see lots of hits. Here's one in action by a great fpv pilot:

http://youtu.be/EhYTdx_T1CM

MrMike
10th October 2013, 04:44 PM
Haha... I'll let you know how it works when it arrives. For $10 it's worth a shot.
May be this will help me figure out if I'm better off leaving the antenna straight rather then bending it 90 degrees like I have it now.
It's a circular pattern so I really can't see it making any difference.

MrMike
10th October 2013, 04:52 PM
A lot of good flyers are using it. Just do a google search for Super Simple OSD and you'd see lots of hits. Here's one in action by a great fpv pilot:

http://youtu.be/EhYTdx_T1CM

Wow! He really has no fear of trees. How big is the QX-9?

Stringer
10th October 2013, 04:58 PM
Wow! He really has no fear of trees. How big is the QX-9?

It's 430mm: http://forums.openpilot.org/index.php?/topic/20755-QX-9-Full-Carbon-FPV-frame

Check out his other videos for inspiration.

MrMike
10th October 2013, 05:04 PM
This will help with the extra payload and run time!

350QX+GoPro Hero2 hard case+ 5.8Gz 400mw VTX+7.2V on board video bat. almost 20Min run time.

I didn't think that big of a battery would fit in the small space of the 350 QX. 20 minutes would be great.
Thanks for the info!

Razors 33
10th October 2013, 05:08 PM
Well than maybe I'll order a few to use in my cars for shats and goggles

vr6tvw
23rd October 2013, 12:47 PM
Hello Folks,
Wanted to give you an update on my Blade 350QX OSD project. Well i found an OSD that has all the features i was looking for with a small enough footprint to fit inside the Blade 350QX. I will post few pictures as well.

skylark Tiny OSD III flashed with new 2.9 Firmware for our type of machines.

Speed | Altitude | Distance
Home navigation angle
GPS signal
Power battery voltage
Power battery current
mAh consumed

vr6tvw
23rd October 2013, 12:50 PM
I forgot to give you this information as well.

350QX Equipment

7.2V 2 cell LiPo 1600mah 77.7g
Pixim Seawolf WDR 690VTL+cables 56.5g
5.8Ghz VTX+cables 33.6G
Skylark Mini OSD III with Cables 35.6g

MrMike
23rd October 2013, 03:19 PM
Wow, Thats really nice the way you mounted your camera on and your OSD is mounted internally. I really hadn't considered that.
I wanted to keep all of my FPV gear on the outside for easy removal so I can transplant it to my plane.
What Vtx are you using?

vr6tvw
23rd October 2013, 03:57 PM
Wow, Thats really nice the way you mounted your camera on and your OSD is mounted internally. I really hadn't considered that.
I wanted to keep all of my FPV gear on the outside for easy removal so I can transplant it to my plane.
What Vtx are you using?

Thank you. That was my concern as well. I wanted to make a modular setup where all the Camera gear,VTX etc..could be removed quickly and easy.

Pixim SEAWOLF 690TVL HD CCTV Mini OSD Camera 2.8mm-------USA warehouse
http://www.saferguard.com/ultra-wdr-...era-2-8mm.html (http://www.saferguard.com/ultra-wdr-pixim-seawolf-690tvl-hd-cctv-mini-osd-camera-2-8mm.html)

Skylark Mini OSD III-----------USA warehouse
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=725 (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_21&products_id=725)

5.8gHz 400Mw VTX+VRX---------USA warehouse
http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayprod...=Video+TX%2FRX (http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=208&cat=Video+TX%2FRX)

Fat Shark 5.8GHz Circular Polarized--------USA warehouse
http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayprod...at=FPV+Antenna (http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=218&cat=FPV+Antenna)

vr6tvw
23rd October 2013, 04:48 PM
I responded to your post over an hour a go with details and links.... i guess the moderator needs to clear my posts??

hope he put's it up.

MrMike
23rd October 2013, 05:01 PM
I forgot to give you this information as well.

350QX Equipment

7.2V 2 cell LiPo 1600mah 77.7g
Pixim Seawolf WDR 690VTL+cables 56.5g
5.8Ghz VTX+cables 33.6G
Skylark Mini OSD III with Cables 35.6g

Here's what I see...

You said: 5.8Ghz VTX+cables
So, I was curious what brand and wattage is this VTX? You know what my next question will be right?

I have the Fatshark 250mw tx and I get about 1/4 mile before I start having any serious video issues.
So I'm going to ask you what range your experiencing with your setup :)

Don't blame the moderator. I'm the one that didn't do a screen refresh.

vr6tvw
23rd October 2013, 06:31 PM
Yes sir,
400mw 32 channel VTX and VRX unit from got heli RC. Awesome little setup. I think i paid $105 and change.

I did range test with the new Fatshark Omni antenna i got 1mi-1.5mi. That was wide open field.

please let me know if you need more information?

Razors 33
23rd October 2013, 09:09 PM
looks good but why are you using an external lipo as well?

vr6tvw
23rd October 2013, 09:23 PM
I set it up where I can use the main pack or external. I chose external because I thought that there will be to many consumables on that one main flight battery.

-OSD
-Cam
-Video VTX

I guess I wanted as much flight time as I can get.

What are your thoughts?

vr6tvw
23rd October 2013, 10:09 PM
A DVR would be a nice addition. Then I could get rid of the GoPro. It really does fly better without it. What tuning are you referring to? I didn't see anything in my documentation about tuning. What would you recommend for the voltage monitor? Something like this? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18588__Hobbyking_2_8S_Cell_Checker_with_Low_Volt age_Alarm.html

I got this unit from Ready Made RC.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1204

Very cool. Size of a cigaret pack, built in LCD.

No noise issues.

Razors 33
24th October 2013, 12:03 AM
nothing bad, just adds more weight which may also reduce flight times.

I was pondering getting the ezosd as well for my 350 qx, but was worried about room

but, this tiny osd looks promising

vr6tvw
24th October 2013, 12:34 AM
No worries. I was thinking you may have a different idea.
But your not wrong, it is a trade-off.

vr6tvw
24th October 2013, 12:21 PM
Portable ground station pics.

VintageSlots
28th October 2013, 12:46 AM
I set it up where I can use the main pack or external. I chose external because I thought that there will be to many consumables on that one main flight battery.

-OSD
-Cam
-Video VTX

I guess I wanted as much flight time as I can get.

What are your thoughts?

When you use internal battery how long of a flight do you get on the 350?

Also, did you connect it to the balance leads? Did you have to make your connectors or did they come with the system Tx or camera?

vr6tvw
28th October 2013, 12:39 PM
No Camera gear normal flight time 15-20Min. Camera gear and all 10-15min.

No need for balance leads to be connected at all. The Skylark Tiny OSD III comes with AMP current module, it has DENS plug's on it.
I did have to make few servo Y leads. that's a bout it.