PDA

View Full Version : Frsky Taranis X8R Sbus Naza, help!

Cannotfly
21st September 2013, 11:00 AM
Just got my Taranis with the X8R Rx. Trying to hook up to my Naza via Sbus but I get nothing in Naza Assistent. In traditional mode everything is ok.
I've been reading lots of posts on the X8R and the Taranis but I just can't get it to work with Sbus.

Anyone out there who could pass me some settings for my system?

What mode in the Taranis? (I use D16)
What channels to program in the Taranis? (tried 1-8 and 9-16 with no luck)
What mode on the X8R? (tried to bind in mode 4 and 5)

Is there something else I'm missing? I mean, if i get everything to work in traditional mode, can't I just connect a cable between the X8R and the Naza and change the setting to Sbus in the Naza Assistent?

panzlflyer
21st September 2013, 03:43 PM
I used Futaba sbus no problems on a Naza. all I did was enable sbus in the Naza

rlage
21st September 2013, 04:42 PM
The receiver should have a special port s-bus compatible. Connect that port to Naza x2 port then on assistant configure radio as D bus.

Cannotfly
21st September 2013, 06:04 PM
The receiver should have a special port s-bus compatible. Connect that port to Naza x2 port then on assistant configure radio as D bus.

Well that's exactly what I did but the damn thing won't work. Naza Assistant show nothing.
Ive just upgraded to Naza firmware 4.0. Bug maybe?

Richardmills
26th September 2013, 11:03 AM
Did you get this working in the end?

Cannotfly
27th September 2013, 07:14 AM
Did you get this working in the end?

Nope, all I get in Sbus mode is Failsafe. :confused:

Cannotfly
27th September 2013, 07:19 AM
I connect my X8R via Sbus to Naza but all I get is yellow blink. Naza asisstant show that the U-channel is on Failsafe.

This would suggest that the X8R lost the link with the radio, right?

Well, look at this then.
I have programmed all the functions in my Taranis on channels 1-8.
I have connected the X8R to the Naza the traditional way and everything works ok.
If I then connect the X8R to the NAza via Sbus I get Failsafe. (Yes, I changed setting to Sbus in Naza Assistant).

Now, I have tested leaving the "traditional" connections in place, parallel with the Sbus. If I go in to Naza Assistant and alter between Traditional and Sbus it shows that everything works in Traditional but when switched to Sbus it goes to Failsafe.
This would suggest that Tx-Rx link in fact is ok, right?

So, any suggestions on what's going on here?

panzlflyer
27th September 2013, 10:27 AM
The TX link should show via the led on the rx, flashing green or double flash green.
I read the instructions and it seems to me you should bind in mode 1.

Cannotfly
27th September 2013, 10:54 AM
The TX link should show via the led on the rx, flashing green or double flash green.
I read the instructions and it seems to me you should bind in mode 1.

The manual also states that the Sbus outputs all 16 channels. I think these different modes are for the traditional channel outputs, Sbus is allways 16ch.

panzlflyer
27th September 2013, 11:20 AM
Have you played with the mode in the TX(D16)?
Also on the Frsky rx I use with my Futaba stuff you cannot have failsafe in the TX and also in the RX, one or the other.
Normally when I use Sbus on my Futaba I disable the unused channels in the TX going to the Naza just in case it gets confused or DJI didn't implement it properly.
Lastly the Naza's I have used, follow the Futaba channel mapping only, not JR so Ch1 is Aileron, 2 is Elev, 3 is Throttle etc, when I tried the JR/Spektrum style then you cannot get it to work via sbus or cppm and the Naza always went into failsafe becauseit couldn't map the channels correctly.

Cannotfly
27th September 2013, 11:39 AM
Have you played with the mode in the TX(D16)?
Also on the Frsky rx I use with my Futaba stuff you cannot have failsafe in the TX and also in the RX, one or the other.
Normally when I use Sbus on my Futaba I disable the unused channels in the TX going to the Naza just in case it gets confused or DJI didn't implement it properly.

Yes, tried all sorts of combinations of modes in the Tx. I've also posted in the RCG Forums and someone pointed out that the X8R does not need Failsafe set when using Sbus. The Sbus should output Failsafe-signal/bit automaticly when signal is lost. I've found no reference to this though.

What I feel I would need is someone who use the same setup as I am, Taranis - X8R - Sbus - Naza, to post his settings.
Example
Taranis mode (D16/D8, channels 1-8/9-16?)
Taranis, which channels?
X8R bind mode and failsafe?

imagebuff
27th September 2013, 12:52 PM
It works fine. I don't have a bunch of time to go through all the settings but rest assured it works. Taranis > X8R SBus > Naza. I flew for a little while with this config until I found I wasn't getting the range I needed out of the X8R. I've switched over to Taranis > Dragonlink for now. I will try to get back to the thread late tonight when I get home to help.

imagebuff
27th September 2013, 12:56 PM
This may help... Here is my full Taranis SBUS setup

http://rcsettings.com/index.php/viewdownload/6-multirotors/40-dji-naza-w-extras

Chris

Cannotfly
27th September 2013, 01:42 PM
This may help... Here is my full Taranis SBUS setup

http://rcsettings.com/index.php/viewdownload/6-multirotors/40-dji-naza-w-extras

Chris

Thank you Chris.
I've been using your settings all the time so the Tx end should be ok then. ;)

Richardmills
27th September 2013, 08:13 PM
I wasn't getting the range I needed out of the X8R.

What kind of range were you getting?

I'm thinking of getting the taranis as a stop gap to ezuhf for my quad.

Khosravi
30th September 2013, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure how different the Naza H is, but Frsky X8R SBUS works perfect with it.

-Chris

smoorman
27th October 2013, 12:05 AM
When using the X8R> sbus> NAZA are channels 1-8 still available?

Scarecrow1
13th March 2014, 05:58 AM
Yes, tried all sorts of combinations of modes in the Tx. I've also posted in the RCG Forums and someone pointed out that the X8R does not need Failsafe set when using Sbus. The Sbus should output Failsafe-signal/bit automaticly when signal is lost. I've found no reference to this though.

What I feel I would need is someone who use the same setup as I am, Taranis - X8R - Sbus - Naza, to post his settings.
Example
Taranis mode (D16/D8, channels 1-8/9-16?)

Taranis, which channels?
X8R bind mode and failsafe?

Hey Cannotfly,

did you got this to work? I have exactly the same problem with my Taranis - X8R - SBus - Naza V1, V2. Ive tried all the combinations to bind and configure, but nothing works in the end. I dont get a signal via SBus in my Naza Software. Traditional setup with all wires works fine.

This frustrates me a lot. Would be nice to get your feedback on how this turns out for you!?

Cheers
Benny

Cannotfly
13th March 2014, 07:40 AM
Sorry to hear Scarecrow that you also struggle with the SBUS setup. I did not manage to get it to work. I'm runnin all wires. Planing on ordering a new Rx so I can rule that out.
If you ever get it to work I would be happy if you could post your solution.

smoorman
13th March 2014, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear Scarecrow that you also struggle with the SBUS setup. I did not manage to get it to work. I'm runnin all wires. Planing on ordering a new Rx so I can rule that out.
If you ever get it to work I would be happy if you could post your solution.

Can you post a pic of your SBUS connections? I can compare it to mine which works fine. I am using imagebuff's setup.

Scarecrow1
14th March 2014, 05:50 AM
@smoorman: What do you mean with SBUS connections? Im using the same config from imagebuff. The channels 1-7 in my Taranis following the SBUS setup of the Naza:
1. Aileron
2. Elevator
3. Throttle
4. Rudder

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>CH01
</td> <td> (+100%)Ail (Aileron)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH02
</td> <td> (+100%)Ele (Elevator)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH03
</td> <td> (+100%)Thr (Throttle)
</td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td> R (0%)MAX Switch(!SA↑) Slow(u0:d1) (Hover)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH04
</td> <td> (+100%)Rud (Rudder)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH05
</td> <td> R (+100%)S1DISABLED !!! (X1Gain)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH06
</td> <td> (+100%)SC noTrim (IOC)
</td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td> R (-100%)S2 Warn(1)DISABLED !!! (X2Gain)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH07
</td> <td> R (+100%)SD noTrim Delay(u0.5:d0.5) Flight mode(Basic) (Flt Mode)
</td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td> R (-100%)MAX Switch(!SA↑) Slow(u0:d1) (GPSHover)
</td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td> R (+48%)MAX Switch(SF↓) noTrim Warn(3) Flight mode(Basic) (FailSafe)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

smoorman
14th March 2014, 09:35 AM
@smoorman: What do you mean with SBUS connections? Im using the same config from imagebuff. The channels 1-7 in my Taranis following the SBUS setup of the Naza:
1. Aileron
2. Elevator
3. Throttle
4. Rudder

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>CH01
</td> <td> (+100%)Ail (Aileron)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH02
</td> <td> (+100%)Ele (Elevator)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH03
</td> <td> (+100%)Thr (Throttle)
</td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td> R (0%)MAX Switch(!SA↑) Slow(u0:d1) (Hover)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH04
</td> <td> (+100%)Rud (Rudder)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH05
</td> <td> R (+100%)S1DISABLED !!! (X1Gain)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH06
</td> <td> (+100%)SC noTrim (IOC)
</td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td> R (-100%)S2 Warn(1)DISABLED !!! (X2Gain)
</td></tr> <tr> <td> CH07
</td> <td> R (+100%)SD noTrim Delay(u0.5:d0.5) Flight mode(Basic) (Flt Mode)
</td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td> R (-100%)MAX Switch(!SA↑) Slow(u0:d1) (GPSHover)
</td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td> R (+48%)MAX Switch(SF↓) noTrim Warn(3) Flight mode(Basic) (FailSafe)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

A picture of the actual spots where the connector goes from the X8R to the NAZA. And you have no jumpers on the X8R or the NAZA. Correct?

Scarecrow1
19th March 2014, 09:46 AM
Update: after a week of testing all binding modes and settings for the Taranis and the X8R, I got it to work with a new X8R receiver. The dealer of my Taranis send me a new one, so I tried this and IT WORKED! ;-) So, I think that this issue was caused by a hardware bug of my X8R. Thanks for any help with this.