PDA

View Full Version : Full Cockpit Ground Station construction blog

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

c5galaxy engineer
7th September 2013, 05:55 PM
you suck

Hahaha........I got another video uploading for you guys. No crash but it shows that I am getting better at hovering and flying in the cockpit.

It should be up in an hour or so. That way I wont suck anymore.....will I?

Reliku
7th September 2013, 06:15 PM
Negative. You still suck for not recording the crash.

c5galaxy engineer
7th September 2013, 06:22 PM
Negative. You still suck for not recording the crash.

Wellllllll shit then

Reliku
7th September 2013, 06:25 PM
You can make up for it by crashing and recording it :D

Naw, just kidding. Just get the bloody vid online already! ;)

c5galaxy engineer
7th September 2013, 06:29 PM
85% uploaded......I bet the suspense is killing you!

Reliku
7th September 2013, 06:33 PM
No.. I'm falling asleep and I want to watch the video before tomorrow.

In other words, you're the one determining how much sleep exactly I'm going to get. :l

c5galaxy engineer
7th September 2013, 06:35 PM
93%

Reliku
7th September 2013, 06:38 PM
I'm refreshing the bloody page every 10 seconds XD

EDIT: screw it. I'll watch it tomorrow. Goodnight

c5galaxy engineer
7th September 2013, 07:01 PM
Okay......Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N38qZYGcSig&feature=youtu.be

Zeeflyboy
7th September 2013, 07:05 PM
Very cool... It looks amazing.

However, your video link is shiiiiitty boiii, sort that out!

c5galaxy engineer
7th September 2013, 07:13 PM
Yea......not sure whats going on there. I think I need a filter or sumtin

Zeeflyboy
7th September 2013, 07:34 PM
Most likely part of the story...

If you want to post up pics of the quad and how you have the vTX/cam wired up perhaps we can take a look.

c5galaxy engineer
7th September 2013, 08:42 PM
Most likely part of the story...

If you want to post up pics of the quad and how you have the vTX/cam wired up perhaps we can take a look.

Funny story about that.......after that video was shot I was alllll confident and was flying fast as I could to see how it felt (it felt great by the way) and in one of my palsy ass uncoordinated turns I hit the big tree that you see directly in front of me at about 2:29 in the video, and crashed......again. Broken arm and one broken prop......lol.

I do not have any type of filter on it at all and I am operating both the cam and the vtx off of a BEC off the flight battery. I am going to plug in a little 500mah batt I have laying around and see if that is the problem. My buddy was trying to induce a glitch by wiggling wires but we found that the biggest glitch came from when he was messing with the vtx antenna (circular wireless that went through the last crash and it required me having to bend it back to shape). I may have a loose connection there. It will take some troubleshooting I think. Ill take some pics.

Flying Monkey
7th September 2013, 09:28 PM
Brett, if that's a 2.4ghz lawmate you're powering with a bec, DON'T!! Either power it with a TBS Core or a PSU from Next Generation Hobbies ($25 plus $10 of ridiculous shipping). And lc filter on the camera. Its funny, with all my 5.8ghz gear (IRC and boscam) and with my 1280mhz vtx I've never needed an lc filter on the cam... but that damn lawmate... Let's just say I'm looking forward to sander releasing the new IRC 2.4ghz gear!!

Reliku
8th September 2013, 04:51 AM
Yeah, very noisy video link. And that landing! Good enough for me XD

I've had the same trouble on my rigs. Solution: seperate video battery or lc filter. Just use whatever is more convenient.

c5galaxy engineer
8th September 2013, 07:03 AM
Brett, if that's a 2.4ghz lawmate you're powering with a bec, DON'T!! Either power it with a TBS Core or a PSU from Next Generation Hobbies ($25 plus $10 of ridiculous shipping). And lc filter on the camera. Its funny, with all my 5.8ghz gear (IRC and boscam) and with my 1280mhz vtx I've never needed an lc filter on the cam... but that damn lawmate... Let's just say I'm looking forward to sander releasing the new IRC 2.4ghz gear!!

Thanks Monkey!! Do you mean NEW Generation Hobby or NEXT Generation Hobby. I will give one of them a shot. I have never really had a problem except on the quad and in that video of me flying was about the worse I have seen it.
Someday we will have the IRC 2.4 but for now we dream.

MICK B.
8th September 2013, 07:47 AM
Hey you'll be flying a heli in no time Brett. Keep it up. I have mango trees near my house and they are alive i'm sure, Cos they have jumped out and grabbed me in the past. ALL Pre FPV and i hope it stays that way. If you recorded that flight you would see that tree moved and grabbed you. lol

cheers Mick B.

c5galaxy engineer
8th September 2013, 08:18 AM
Hey you'll be flying a heli in no time Brett. Keep it up. I have mango trees near my house and they are alive i'm sure, Cos they have jumped out and grabbed me in the past. ALL Pre FPV and i hope it stays that way. If you recorded that flight you would see that tree moved and grabbed you. lol

cheers Mick B.

So Im not crazy.......those EffEn trees ARE alive!!!! I knew it!!! LOL

Its funny.......I sure would like to try flying a helli now that I know how hard it is......

Okay Monkey......I just ordered one of these little puppies.........I think it will do the trick!
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10_40&products_id=659

Reliku
8th September 2013, 12:07 PM
Lol. I'm having trouble keeping heli's alive without fpv'ing them. No thank you. Just use a quad. Just like using a skywalker. The only real reason to use a heli is for scale purposes. Just like the only real reason to use an edf is for scale purposes ;)

c5galaxy engineer
8th September 2013, 12:53 PM
I would agree........I meant a full scale helicopter though. Just curious how ''scale like'' the training in the CGS would be......lol There is really no reason to pile up a expensive helli or EDF. In the case of the helli for FPV you get the same feeling with the cheaper multicopter and with the EDF, the same performance can be realized with something cheaper with a propeller. That said........There is absolutely no ''cool factor''. Sooooooo........I keep going back and forth with the whole EDF thing. I do know this, before I tackle the EDF I will have plenty of time in the CGS with a cheaper, prop driven, similar performance FPV aircraft. In particular takeoff, approach and landing. I could put a set of landing gear on a ZII maybe for training flights. I'm going to start with an easy flying tricycle gear trainer type and move up as I gain confidence. Funny......I have been around airplanes of one type or another all my life, I would think this would be easier. LMAO!!!

MICK B.
8th September 2013, 05:40 PM
Hi all. The heli thing is difficult Brett, The worst part is taking off and landing, once your up there it easier FPV than LOS ( coz left stick is always left stick ) HEY I Re-call someone saying ..If it was easy, it wouldn't be so damm cool. Now i wonder who that was, can someone please remind us... LMAO... I would like to fly a very fast plane, that would be cool. I will get out the dual sky 460 and do some flying with that when the new batteries get here ( i just hate short flight times ) what batteries do you guys use on the quad's ? as i havn't had much to do with them. ( quads )

cheers
Mick B.

Reliku
8th September 2013, 05:53 PM
I use a 3s 2250mah on my quad, and that's a DIY frame (420mm). But I fly aerobatics with it too and stuff, so I keep it nice and light. Runs on a nanowii, all really small. Fpv gear on it can be put on and taken off in a few minutes, and I can fly 3000-4000mah lipo's if I'm fpving it, just no more aerobatics ;)

Flying Monkey
9th September 2013, 12:58 AM
Brett, yeah I should've provided a link but it looks like you found it! Its a nice little item. The only bitch about it is soldering the vtx wires to the little tiny contacts. It comes with a better cable, the connector that plugs into the lawmate is less prone to failure that is... but it'd be nice if they soldered it for ya. It's like going 90% of the way making something awesome and then stopping short. Anyways, if its too small/fiddly just mail it to me and I'll do it for ya, mail it back.

If you're using 12v batt then it has a pass through so... in theory its lc filter goes to your cam, but if you use 4s then you'll fry your cam. For me, I had the vtx and this psu out on the tip of a wing and the camera in the nose, so I wasn't going to run the wire back and forth, lol... but on a little quad it might be worth a try.

MICK B.
9th September 2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks Re lik u. I must make me one of those names. I think it's smart. Maybe i could use Micancrash or skidsrup lol. I use 3s 2200 in most things i fly, But most of them are old now and had a hard life. I was thinking of putting 2 on the quad to try while i wait for new ones ( dualsky 35c ) hope they are ok, as i've had a good run out of them in the past. The dualsky 460 is the only quad i've flown and i think it's a good thing, It sounds like your right into them, Have you flown the dualsky and if so how do they compare to what you fly? straight answer, good, ok, shit. i won't be offended.
Took some photos of my sim controls today. "Chair" Will post them soon, it is only basic but works fine.

Derrick
9th September 2013, 09:22 AM

I do not have any type of filter on it at all and I am operating both the cam and the vtx off of a BEC off the flight battery. I am going to plug in a little 500mah batt I have laying around and see if that is the problem. My buddy was trying to induce a glitch by wiggling wires but we found that the biggest glitch came from when he was messing with the vtx antenna (circular wireless that went through the last crash and it required me having to bend it back to shape). I may have a loose connection there. It will take some troubleshooting I think. Ill take some pics.

Thanks Monkey!! Do you mean NEW Generation Hobby or NEXT Generation Hobby. I will give one of them a shot. I have never really had a problem except on the quad and in that video of me flying was about the worse I have seen it.
Someday we will have the IRC 2.4 but for now we dream.

Okay Monkey......I just ordered one of these little puppies.........I think it will do the trick!
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10_40&products_id=659

Brett, yeah I should've provided a link but it looks like you found it! Its a nice little item. The only bitch about it is soldering the vtx wires to the little tiny contacts. It comes with a better cable, the connector that plugs into the lawmate is less prone to failure that is... but it'd be nice if they soldered it for ya. It's like going 90% of the way making something awesome and then stopping short. Anyways, if its too small/fiddly just mail it to me and I'll do it for ya, mail it back.

If you're using 12v batt then it has a pass through so... in theory its lc filter goes to your cam, but if you use 4s then you'll fry your cam. For me, I had the vtx and this psu out on the tip of a wing and the camera in the nose, so I wasn't going to run the wire back and forth, lol... but on a little quad it might be worth a try.

Just found this mini thread within this maxi thread...

I have never used lawmate gear, however this peaked my interest about not using a BEC to power the lawmate. Is this because it is super sensitive to noise?

Reliku
9th September 2013, 10:21 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I haven't flown with that. I've only flown heli's mostly. The controls are very similar once the autolevel is off, as you pobably know. I'm no real quad expert at all though :p

As far as I've seen, the dualsky 460 is not a bad quad. I have compared other arf/rtf quads to DIY quads though, and while off-the-shelf quads do fly, it's literally impossible to suit it for your needs. Not to mention they're more expensive too. I can build a quad for as little as $150 and have it fully equipped with everything I want, and I get arguably better on board equipment. The nanowii for example, can be bought for like $20 and will only require you to plug in a receiver and four ESCs (although mine are flashed). You can pogram the nanowii to your needs, and you only need to attach everything to a quad frame to make it work. Which can be done very cheaply as well.

Ah, how many times have I used the word "cheap"? I'm a cheapass after all. But that's one of the things I prefer with a DIY quad: cheaper and better suited to your needs. I'm not saying it'll fly any better or worse. That depends on whether you want to fly aerobatics, just sport or maybe you want to make aerial photography. I do however know that once you get the hang of it, a DIY quad is a real convenience. And not that much of a disaster should you break it. This is my current super-simple fpv quad (420mm):

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2172/92r0.jpg

c5galaxy engineer
9th September 2013, 11:04 AM

I have never used lawmate gear, however this peaked my interest about not using a BEC to power the lawmate. Is this because it is super sensitive to noise?

Yea Derrick. After Monkey said something and I did a little research and found this on ED's ''Experimental Airlines'' youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR1DwmQEgL0
It really cleared it up for me. I had no idea that Lawmate was so sensitive. The cool thing about this PSU that Monkey turned me on to is that it acts like a break out board for the connections of the video just like the IMRC TX's. It simplifies the wiring a bit. Anyone with a Lawmate TX I recommend watching Ed's video if you dont already know this shit.

Derrick
9th September 2013, 11:31 AM
That was a really good video, I am somewhat surprised at how sensitive it is to power. I wish he would have done a go-back on weight after all was said and done with the 5.8 unit. Pretty sure they would be pretty much identical after the fact.

c5galaxy engineer
9th September 2013, 11:41 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I haven't flown with that. I've only flown heli's mostly. The controls are very similar once the autolevel is off, as you pobably know. I'm no real quad expert at all though :p

As far as I've seen, the dualsky 460 is not a bad quad. I have compared other arf/rtf quads to DIY quads though, and while off-the-shelf quads do fly, it's literally impossible to suit it for your needs. Not to mention they're more expensive too. I can build a quad for as little as $150 and have it fully equipped with everything I want, and I get arguably better on board equipment. The nanowii for example, can be bought for like $20 and will only require you to plug in a receiver and four ESCs (although mine are flashed). You can pogram the nanowii to your needs, and you only need to attach everything to a quad frame to make it work. Which can be done very cheaply as well.

Ah, how many times have I used the word "cheap"? I'm a cheapass after all. But that's one of the things I prefer with a DIY quad: cheaper and better suited to your needs. I'm not saying it'll fly any better or worse. That depends on whether you want to fly aerobatics, just sport or maybe you want to make aerial photography. I do however know that once you get the hang of it, a DIY quad is a real convenience. And not that much of a disaster should you break it. This is my current super-simple fpv quad (420mm):

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2172/92r0.jpg

Is it just me or is anyone else hungry for a plate of spaghetti? Just kidding Reliku. If you ever get a chance to try out one of Flying Monkeys little Badger quad you should. That thing is a MUST FLY. Fun little quad!

c5galaxy engineer
9th September 2013, 11:44 AM
That was a really good video, I am somewhat surprised at how sensitive it is to power. I wish he would have done a go-back on weight after all was said and done with the 5.8 unit. Pretty sure they would be pretty much identical after the fact.

Yea.....me to, very surprised. Its like Monkey said......''They went 90% of the way to make it Awesome and stopped.

Reliku
9th September 2013, 02:57 PM
What kind of badger quad? I do have a mini quad, one of those walkera ladybug thingies. Intriguing piece of tech. Amazing to fly. Not as stable as say, this one for example, though.

And yeah.. my stuff is always a mess :p

Flying Monkey
9th September 2013, 07:54 PM

Its surprising how sensitive it is! Just for shitz and giggles I did try powering it off a couple different 5v bec's I had laying around before hooking up the NG hobbies one. Its a finicky little bastard! But once you get it working right boy does it work! Four miles out and crystal clear video (with 5 turn helical)

Keith (here on the lab) did a nice little write up on it.
http://www.rcflighttest.com/home/2011/10/nghobbies-lawmate-power-supply-board/

Here's another video more specific to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhdcx3pG2Hs

c5galaxy engineer
9th September 2013, 10:09 PM
LOL.....actually, that is the video I meant to post!......DOH!!

I have a Core in my ZII and didnt even think about it when I loaded this up on the Quad. I may just throw the Foxtech 5.8 on the quad so I can get back to hovering in the CGS.......That thing is sooooo damn fun. Monkey.....you have to try it out. I should bring it down to the next PDX Drones meeting.

MICK B.
10th September 2013, 08:32 AM
Hi All..
Thanks for the detailed reply Reliku and that photo the top of that little bird, Wow very busy place.
I have loaded some photos on Airtruckrus trailer build so have a look and let me know what you think. You must remember, I FLY WITH GOGGLES, So it don't matter how it looks. lol.

Reliku
10th September 2013, 12:07 PM
Same goes for me.

I FLY AEROBATICS! It doesn't matter how it looks ;)

airtruksrus
11th September 2013, 12:52 AM
Hi All..
Thanks for the detailed reply Reliku and that photo the top of that little bird, Wow very busy place.
I have loaded some photos on Airtruckrus trailer build so have a look and let me know what you think. You must remember, I FLY WITH GOGGLES, So it don't matter how it looks. lol.

Just getting caught up for a bit after everything slowed down, have to go over to my build thread to take a look in just a bit.

Flying Monkey
11th September 2013, 01:48 PM
I should bring it down to the next PDX Drones meeting.

Yes! And stay a few days... I have Mondays and Tuesdays off. Want to fly from your CGS so bad!

c5galaxy engineer
11th September 2013, 01:55 PM
Yes! And stay a few days... I have Mondays and Tuesdays off. Want to fly from your CGS so bad!

no prob but you will have to use your own quad though......lol.....I will loan you an EZ RX. If I have a plane going you can fly my fixed wing from it if you want......or yours. The learning curve on the quad is a bit steep and I need it to practice with........lol

MICK B.
11th September 2013, 02:46 PM
Hey you two, That is so not fair. What about me, I want to have a go too. but i want someone with goggles on raising and lowering the front of the trailer as i ascend or descend. ( HOW ARE THOSE GEARS GOING BRETT ) LMAO

c5galaxy engineer
11th September 2013, 03:26 PM
LOL Funny you should mention that.......once when Scott was flying (aka Airtrucksrus) I was sitting on the back of the trailer while it was still attached to the Jeep. When I got up the trailer kinda jerked and Scott commented that it kind of startled him because he thought he had hit some turbulence........lmao.

One time I sat the trailer alllll the way back on its tail so it was way nose high with a block under the front of it. Then I crawled in it to see if it was more comfortable leaning back while I flew. Without the thing even on or moving, I noticed I started getting motion sick. From inside you cant visually tell what your attitude is but your inner ear is screaming that you are falling over backwards so your senses get confused. I really really could only sit in there for a few moments........It was not a good feeling.

This makes me think that if you can carefully coordinate even slight motion with the aircraft it will really enhance the immersion. I am not a sim expert but I would tell you that it would probably be opposite motion than what you think especially if it is a less than full motion sim. For instance.......it seems to me that you would want the nose of the sim to drop when you begin a climb because this would give you the feeling that the seat of the aircraft is coming ''up'' under you like positive ''G's'' would do. Inside it would visually look like a climb so your brain would conclude a climb. Roll and yaw would probably be the same.

I have spent some time (many hours) in very large simulators (which are very cool by the way) and I do know this........the thing does not move like you would expect it to. We had another Simulator that all it did was simulate air refueling. It did not move at all but the pilot and co-pilot seats had slight motion in them that lifted up and down to simulate the positive and negative Gs of the slight ''porposing'' that happens during air refueling. Im telling you it was uncanny how real it felt from so little movement.

That is why I like those sims that Monkey found and I shared with you guys. The motion is controlled by the stick which in turn would give a bit of a heavy (realistic) feel to the stick as well as the motion. It would have to be set up and tweeked (or twereked) until it was perfect, but it would not cost so much to employ.

c5galaxy engineer
11th September 2013, 03:29 PM
BTW......dont say anything bad about PDXDave because I noticed he has been lurking in here.............I seeeee you Dave!

Flying Monkey
11th September 2013, 03:42 PM
BTW......dont say anything bad about PDXDave because I noticed he has been lurking in here.............I seeeee you Dave!

Be verwy, verwy quiet......

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FM3kDclYSOU/UTiL-UD-1iI/AAAAAAAAVuY/SnBW9mWrUgI/s320/elmer+fudd+shh+be+very+quiet.jpg

airtruksrus
12th September 2013, 12:55 AM
Brett, thought it was great when you poked fun at the turbulence bit, got to simulate when the big screen does go on the blink. Even the slightest bit of motion when you were deeply immersed in touch n go's really livens things up. Just get Ian's turbine Zephyr synched up to your controls and waalaa, instant head rush.

Had a chance to fly in the KC-10 sim over in March Afb and the motion control is something hard to forget after 25 years back, even got a couple tries with the fueling probe sim in heavy turbulence. One of the commanders in the CAP squadron worked there and got us in for a special tour.

Reliku
12th September 2013, 01:55 AM
That's pretty cool. This is probably loads different compared to a real stick.

I don't really know the feeling of a "normal" stick either, actually. I've only flown sailplanes. But well, how different can they be? :p

MICK B.
12th September 2013, 07:16 AM
Hi All. When i started flying fpv using goggles, I had to sit down and could only fly one battery using a wing, then had to stop for about 1/2 hr to get over it. Never had motion sickness before in my life and it was a shock. all good now, but it's wicked when someone puts the goggles on and dont know what it's like. I could only imagen how it would be in a CGS if you had the controls.LOL.. A young bloke i used to work with come into the shop today and i showed him the chair video . He wants one now. He had paid for a 1 hr training session in a R22 just to take the controls and have a go. Wish i could do that $$$. He's very keen and wants to learn how it's done. what have we started!!! poor guy!! No thats wrong, it's lucky guy, as i wish i had someone doing this to learn from. ( here ) We can fly all year round here in north oz. How long are you grounded for?

MICK B.
12th September 2013, 08:01 AM
Hey guys just found this. It's worth a look. http://youtu.be/fL8rIUkXAco

Reliku
12th September 2013, 08:40 AM
I'm not grounded. It just gets tricky to land on frozen runways.

I recall my dad flying a plane in -10 once. The runway was all ice. At the landing the fence all the way at the back came particulary close. So he decides to steer right (nose wheel/rudder). The plane rotated to the right, but kept sliding "sideways". Guess what happened to the fence :)

Nowadays we rent an indoor location with the entire club. But that's only los of course.

In fact, I can probably fpv in the snow just fine.... hmmm :) :)

MICK B.
12th September 2013, 09:12 AM
-10 WTF Be like flying in my freezer . i dont think i would get out of bed and to think you guys fly in that. have looked at utube flights in snow and it all looks the same. i have a picture in my mind sitting in the freezer with my fatsharks on and a controller in my hand.LMAO

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 09:26 AM
Hey guys just found this. It's worth a look. http://youtu.be/fL8rIUkXAco

Yea....I have seen that vid before. That guy was a true FPV Pioneer. I think he has since passed away. I believe that vid was made in the mid 90's but Im not sure. It was before FPV was the normal though and the LOS'ers still thought is was a cool novelty of R/C and not a fringe band of jackasses with cameras on their planes.....lol. This video was one of my inspirations early on. I do remember reading about his set up a looooong time ago in one of the model magazines.

Mick......I'll tell you what. I never once got motion sickness in my whole Air Force career (I almost did once when one of the other crew members threw up and splashed me.....it was a rough day to be flying) but when I crawled into the CGS when it was leaning to far back it was the most uncomfortable feeling and I wasn't moving at all......lol. I don't have a problem with standing, with goggles on or anything like, that but DAMN the CGS is a way different monster. I seriously don't even know if putting ''motion'' is the mix would even be worth the endeavor. It just works so well now at immersing me into the aircraft cockpit. I can't say enough about it.......it is truly something people have to experience.........Am I right Scott? I wish I was in an area where more pilots had access to it. Me and one other guy are about it in my area for miles. I think before I spend to much time and energy in motion I will try to build a more immersive visual system like what Reliku and I were discussing at the beginning of this thread. Im thinking about the projector on a pan system, projecting onto a screen curved around the pilot. It would be synced up with the aircraft camera pan system. When my head turns left, the camera pans left and so does the projected image. ''Poor man's'' full visuals!!

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 09:27 AM
-10........screw that!! LOL

Derrick
12th September 2013, 09:35 AM
-10........screw that!! LOL

+1 for climate controlled CGS.

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 09:36 AM
BTW......for those of you that don't know (and I was one of them) our friend Reliku has a FPV F-16 Build thread going that he didnt tell me about so now I am looking for plane tickets to the top of the world so I can go kick his ass in person. Check it out it looks good so far but I haven read it all yet. Thanks for sharing the link Reliku..............finally.......lol
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?18048-FPV-F-16

MICK B.
12th September 2013, 09:45 AM
Have used a projector with phoenix sim and didn't excite me ( flat screen only) but hey that curved screen with pan and tilt or just pan would be wicked, i use a dx7 and 6 so i dont have pan and tilt yet but cant wait to use it, will get ezuhf system soon and that will allow it to work. will just have to look into setting it up with fatsharks. but i'm sure you guys can help with that. ( mate, friend, pal, buddy ) lol. Damm just looked at the time 11:44 pm only one day to go. yahoo. I live for weekends.

Reliku
12th September 2013, 09:53 AM
I thought you'd already seen the thread but didn't consider it worthy any reactions. I mean, it wasn't THAT concealed, was it? Now I can understand not clicking on something called "hello kitty", but well... heehee

Either way, I'll tell you next time I start a project. Will hopefully be soon. (And hopefully not because I wreck this one). But I'm seriously considering going with a cockpit.

One big issue: I can not possibly hope to transport such a thing. So I'll need to get really creative. I don't want a folding chair either. If possible, I'm going to see if I can acquire an actual ejection seat someday. I just want something beefy to sit in. An old car chair, perhaps. But I honestly don't know yet (because I can't transport a car chair! :p)

MICK B.
12th September 2013, 10:06 AM
Ejection seat that will make an interesting video when things go bad. lol. waaahooo eject eject eject. I love it.... That edf project looks good, inform us when your ready to fly please.

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 12:47 PM
Soooooo Reliku.....I have been getting rumblings of good news from the new CFO of the house. It seems that she is warming up to the ''new airplane'' idea so maybe my F-18 isn't that far off in the future. At the very least it will make a good winter project. The bad news is its going to be a long road to convince her that I NEEEEED a projector. I already bought a used white movie screen from the second hand store for 5 bucks. I could start on the ''theater'' portion of the build and just wait until I can get a suitable projector but then I fear that I would limit myself to the projectors out there because now it would HAVE to fit into what I already built. Sooooooooooo. I guess I will wait unless someone has an idea..............Anyone??

Reliku
12th September 2013, 12:54 PM
Your wife. Best of luck buddy.

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 01:00 PM
maybe airtrucksrus will let me borrow his projector for the purpose of the build.........hint hint......lol

Reliku
12th September 2013, 02:05 PM
Hehehehe

Oooooor, you could just use goggles.........hint hint......lol

Derrick
12th September 2013, 02:18 PM
Hehehehe

Oh, crap... I just hit the self destruct button instead of flaps!

Reliku
12th September 2013, 03:19 PM
No, make it a HOTAS system :)

bRandom
12th September 2013, 03:27 PM
Awesome ground station!!! I havnt had time to browse the thread but i want a mobile station like this with the tracker on top of van and a-10 hotas joystick throttle! But my question is about the usb to ppm converter... Which one do you have and is it flawless operation? Thanks i just ordered a ppm from flytron

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 03:30 PM
Hehehehe

I could but that would be the easy way.........annnnnnd, if it's easy it aint cool....LOL
Actually I think I would rather just try the projector idea so I can get it out of my system.......otherwise I will just keep contemplating it.....you know how it is.

bRandom
12th September 2013, 03:34 PM
I didnt read previous to this post so forgive me if im off subject but i have a projector with. 10ft wide screen on computer and dcs a-10 and other sims are awesome and i highy recommend projectors... Ill never buy a tv again

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 03:51 PM
Awesome ground station!!! I havnt had time to browse the thread but i want a mobile station like this with the tracker on top of van and a-10 hotas joystick throttle! But my question is about the usb to ppm converter... Which one do you have and is it flawless operation? Thanks i just ordered a ppm from flytron

No USB to PPB conversion at all. It started out with the Forcefly force feedback system from EMR labs. It is a USB converter that also sends feedback from the airplane on the VTX audio channel to the force feedback joystick. It worked great but wasnt exactly what I wanted. All the channels are on the joystick or HOTAS throttle which is cool but didnt meet my ''tactile'' cockpit goals. I want landing gear levers and flap levers......channel switches with some "click" to them........know what I mean? If you read back through the thread it starts out with the Forcefly system and move on to the system I have now. (BTW......MY complete Force feedback stick, throttle and rudder pedals as well as the Forcefly system are for sale very cheap because I need money for a new plane....lol)

I will save all the details as they have been written in the first part of the thread but what I did was simply hack a Futaba radio and a gamming joystick. All I did in the joystick, throttle and rudder pedals was to change out the pots with the same values that are in the joystick gimbals of the Futaba (5 ohms I think). I just ordered all the pots I needed off of ebay. The values of all the pots are clearly labled on them so thats what I ordered and replaced the 100 ohm pots in the gamming system. Then I hacked the futaba by cutting all the wires going to the gimbals and channel switches, lengthened them and wired the cockpit accordingly.
Basically I just made a giant TX that you can sit in.......lol. The important part is to simply replace the pots in the gamming system and extend the radio PCB to them. It works flawlessly I must say and there is no computer interface at all!! Thats the part I like.
If you have any questions let me know. I do recomend looking back through the thread a bit but ask away if you need to. If you live around the NW USA come visit and I will let you fly it.

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 03:57 PM
I didnt read previous to this post so forgive me if im off subject but i have a projector with. 10ft wide screen on computer and dcs a-10 and other sims are awesome and i highy recommend projectors... Ill never buy a tv again

BTW......you dont need a tracker. Use a Circular Wireless SPW antenna and you can easily fly out 5 miles in every direction no problem. Trackers are old school. If I want to go further I hook up the Circular Wireless helical antenna and point it in the direction of my flight and go for it. It just isn't as critical as it used to be with the older antennas. These new fangled antenna thingys that look like something a Barbie doll would hang laundry on are amazing............bottom line ditch the tracker, you will be screwing with it more than if you just reached up and occasionally adjusted your antenna during a distance flight. IMHO

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 03:58 PM

Im looking forward to trying one out

bRandom
12th September 2013, 04:21 PM
Ok the tracker is the only thing i havnt ordered yet... Im waiting on backordered fatshark attitude with 5.8 600mW immersion vTX and 700 res rmrc camera and circular wireless skew planar wheel omni combo... Is that a recommended antennae? Also the ezosd... Im thinking maybe i should order the immersion dual vRx instead of using the in goggle fatshark rx...
Thanks for your reply ill read rest of thread not at work lol

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 09:04 PM
Yes on the antennas......you can not go wrong with Circular Wireless. Skew Planer Wheels are all pretty much the same technically but the Circular Wireless just look so damn good and are built really well. You made the right choice. It sounds like you bought the same camera that I have but I use Lawmate 2.4 for video and Immersion EZUHF for control but I hear that the IMRC Video stuff is great. I also have the EZOSD.......Love it! If you are just starting out stick with the Fatshark VRX. You will find that you probably won't use diversity either like the tracker. Of course everyone will have an opinion on that stuff but I was lucky enough to have one of the best instructors and Pilots in the world for my FPV beginnings and I just follow his lead........and he is literally half my age........damn whippersnappers!!

Anyhooooooo........good luck with your stuff! Any questions, this place is loaded with experts.......just ask em!

airtruksrus
12th September 2013, 10:53 PM
Brett, I kinda need to shoot for getting a projector before summer, hope to find one before then or I will just have to keep using the 19" LCD monitor till then, should work but very temporary. Kind of debating whether to use my tracker with antenna again or as a handy camera tracker to feed the video to another monitor on the instrument panel.

Do need to ask where you picked up the microphone cord for the iPad since nothing i have is wired up correctly to Apple standards unless you know how it's wired up from the plug.

c5galaxy engineer
12th September 2013, 11:26 PM
Here ya go Scott
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_38_105_107&products_id=395

Good idea putting an external camera on an antenna tracking base.........I dont know how useful that view would be in the cockpit. I mean on a small screen you wouldn't be able to see anything on the screen. For me I would be too tempted to look at that screen to try to fly......LOL!!

airtruksrus
13th September 2013, 12:29 AM
Thanks a bunch, I'll have to get it on order soon if its to be of any use for the El Centro trip. Found an Epson emp-750 projector without the light housing for $60 in working order and the light housing new for another $99, very tempted to snatch it up off of eBay but didn't give much of the projection specs, don't want to just waste what funds are left.

c5galaxy engineer
14th September 2013, 09:23 AM
Hey Guys.....Check out FPVFlyers new videos. Absolutely stunning!! Post #'s 32 and 33
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?3584-The-history-of-FPVflyer...&p=335134#post335134

c5galaxy engineer
14th September 2013, 11:58 AM
Reliku.........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FedEx-Federal-Express-DC-10-Aircraft-Cockpit-Seat-/221279646937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33854b74d9

Reliku
14th September 2013, 12:19 PM
On a BUDGET Brett. A BUDGET. :P

c5galaxy engineer
14th September 2013, 03:35 PM
On a BUDGET Brett. A BUDGET. :P
Yea.......I know. It just a carrot I am dangling in front of you..........besides, I'm sure MICK B has already hit the ''Buy it Now'' button........lmao

MICK B.
14th September 2013, 05:29 PM
LOL Brett. I went and had a look at the seat i will admit. But just a look. My old hard chair will do me, I just have to use my imagination a bit when flying and when i'm using the Phoenix sim just put something soft on it. LOL. Had a look at them videos and they are awsome, could you imagine having a sensor on the plane that also recorded movement that was linked to the video, loaded to utube etc. viewed in a motion simulator. ( set up as a world wide standard ) even more, could you imagine watching motor sport!!!!! . all this stuff is out there, someone just has to do it. ( probably already have ) I want one. I REALY WANT ONE, " THIS COULD BE DONE ". and it wouldn't be all that hard ?? what do you ALL think???????

c5galaxy engineer
14th September 2013, 05:37 PM
LOL......That would be a cool Idea. Kind of like the forcefly system that I first had in my cockpit. It has such a device in the plane and sends movement signals down the audio channel to the force feedback joystick. Since it comes down the audio channel, all you have to do is plug in the joystick when your playing it back and you will get the force feedback in the stick......pretty cool. Go back to the beginning of this thread and I think somewhere I posted the factory video of it.......or search ''force fly'' on youtube.

MICK B.
14th September 2013, 05:48 PM
will do. and how is your sat night? my sunday morning 7:45 is awsome. flying soon.

Zeeflyboy
14th September 2013, 05:57 PM
with your landings brett? You'd need an ambulance after every flight....

MICK B.
14th September 2013, 06:09 PM
LMAO... Zeeflyboy. didn't think of it thay way.

Flying Monkey
14th September 2013, 07:18 PM
with your landings brett? You'd need an ambulance after every flight....

Yeah, I'm gonna get him a queen size mattress to use as a heli pad!

Reliku
14th September 2013, 07:19 PM
LOL

c5galaxy engineer
16th September 2013, 12:05 PM
All of you jealous haters can piss off!!.........LMAO!

Tell me about it!! WTF?!?! Why I cant seem to get my legs under me on my landings is crazy!! I took two sections of ''Pool Noodle'' and zip tied them to the bottom of my quad which is why I am able to ''bounce'' my landings in, otherwise I would be in the shop for repairs after every flight. It is a problem I am trying to sort out Zee.......trust me, my lack of landing skills has not gone un-noticed by me either.

Yesterday I got a chance to take the CGS and quad out to a friends local golf driving range and really let loose with it. It was the first time that I had a fairly obstacle free flying area. I burned through 5 battery packs and felt like a dog chasing a ball in the park!!! OMG is this thing fun. Hovering around my house is fun and all (that's where the previous videos were shot) but to be able to push the stick forward and zip down the fairway then carve a turn to come back is thrilling.

The wind was howling........not sure what the official wind speed was but I guessed it to be in the low teens gusting a bit higher at times. I do have video, and will up load it, and you will see how much it was blowing when I hovered up to a large tree to see the branches moving. At first I was a little nervous of the wind but between being closed in the cockpit and not being able to ''feel'' any wind and knowing that the airplane really doesn't care if the winds blowing......it just needs to be flown through it....I am not nervous about wind at all with the quad now. It really does feel like you are sitting in it! So much so that my back hurts from my shitty landings......lol.

I was working on my landings yesterday but the wind wasn't helping and I was getting frustrated that I couldn't figure it out. I finally decided that I needed a ''good approach'' to make a good landing happen. That helped with my whole sight picture side of it but, man o man, as soon as I get into ground effect I get stupid or something. I feel like I am landing on top of a beach ball and rolling off to a random side. Can someone tell me how to push through the ground effect bubble?!?!?! What am I doing wrong and WTF is the secrete?

On a video note. I got the PSU from www.NGhobby.com (http://www.nghobby.com/) and it works great but I am still getting a lot of static with lines accros the screens. I thought it might be UHF interference so I moved my SAW filter equipped VRX about 12 feet away from the UHF antenna but was still getting lines. I am wondering if I have to much RCA cable in the system. I have about 15' total, between the 8' from the VRX to the Eagleeyes video splitter, then 4' (couldn't find shorter shielded cable) to each monitor. It is all quality cable but not the ''Monster'' stupid expensive cable. Also I could have a noisy quad. I will make a walk around vid of the set up for you smarter guys to tell me where you may see problems. Would to much cable on the RX end cause shitty video??

Vitamin J
16th September 2013, 12:15 PM
For landing a quad under the goggles what I do is just bring it down at a constant rate. If you try to slow the descent as you get closer to the ground then you will get caught in the ground effect. If you just keep coming down smoothly then you'll go through it. A little bit of forward motion when landing also helps.

Reliku
16th September 2013, 05:07 PM
Slowly is important yes :p

c5galaxy engineer
16th September 2013, 10:26 PM
For landing a quad under the goggles what I do is just bring it down at a constant rate. If you try to slow the descent as you get closer to the ground then you will get caught in the ground effect. If you just keep coming down smoothly then you'll go through it. A little bit of forward motion when landing also helps.

Thanks VJ........I will give that a try and report back. Anything has got to be better than what I am doing........lol

MICK B.
17th September 2013, 04:31 AM
Hey "Tigger" Hays ( coz tiggers love to bounce ) lol. Mate something else you might be able to try, Is extending the throttle lever a bit. ( temporary of course ) It could give you smoother throttle control. I was sitting in my setup trying to think of what i do when landing, and all i do with the quad is come in steady and down throttle hard as i'm about to touch the ground ( like on the moment of touching ). with the chopper it's come in fairly fast and land very firm. No stuffing around trying to hover and making it look pretty. Most of my landings arn't too bad and not like my utube landing. hope it helps.

Mick B.

c5galaxy engineer
17th September 2013, 09:19 AM
LOL@ ''Tigger''......Careful Mick coz those are the kinds of nicknames that stick.....hahahahha....If the peeps start calling me Tigger due to my bouncy landings Im coming down to Oz, find you, and stick a nick name on you that you can be proud of.....LOL!!

Seriously though.....thanks for the advice. I think you are right.....I am way behind the throttle during my touch down. Either that or I am unknowingly adding an unneeded ''flare burst'' to the throttle making it bounce instead of settling on the ground. Of course the wind didn't help on this last outing either but I wont make excuses.......lol

Reliku
17th September 2013, 11:39 AM
Quads are notorious for their bouncing. The ground effect is way worse than heli's.

airtruksrus
17th September 2013, 02:33 PM
Get the bounces out of about half the landings on the quad under the goggles now compared to after just beginning, just took alot of practice. That foam that I put under each leg over at Brett's workshop couldn't have worked out any better, especially after i start to fly out of my own cgs. Watch out Brett, well have to run a race with both the stations side by side...

Shocks are all mounted up, just need to get the undercoatings applied. Getting alot of gear collected up for the box so far.

MICK B.
17th September 2013, 05:58 PM
Hi all. hey a couple of bounces and a landing verses no bounce and a crash. as long as it's on the ground and not broken thats all that counts. you will work out what works best for you. just try a couple of different ways and allways land into the wind, sometimes your spotter will have to help with that, as your sitting in a cgs out of the wind. i've had to land with the wind behind me due to low batteries a few times, and it's much harder. i still fly the 450 with short trainer legs and that's the only thing that saved me.

Mick B.

c5galaxy engineer
17th September 2013, 06:35 PM
Well here is a video from day before yesterday. Like I said I flew 5 packs this day and wont bore you with a video of every flight. This flight video will show you how windy it was that day. You will see it in the tree. I hovered up to it so I could see just how hard the wind was blowing. Anyway........check it out and let me know what you guys think. Landings are getting better but this is before I had the benefit of everyone's suggestions......all in all not bad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkhVRrDycEU&feature=youtu.be

P.S. Can someone tell me why the vids are not embedding??

airtruksrus
17th September 2013, 09:15 PM
Looks like its a link from a tablet or smartphone, something about the youtu.be - It also still has it as an https, try from the laptop

MICK B.
17th September 2013, 10:54 PM
Wicked stuff. I here rotor blades calling you soon. Just one thing can you put a cover on the back so we can see better please. an electric one would be cool. It all looks good. keep it up. Can't wait to see you and scott side by side doing some pylon racing with your quads or planes. :-)
HEY Mr Airtrucksrus hows your plans going?
For me it looks like i got the 22 cab but will have to collect it .About 4000Km round trip "ouch" But it will be worth it as i'm keen and ready to go
:-) Just waiting on the ready word.

c5galaxy engineer
17th September 2013, 11:27 PM
Looks like its a link from a tablet or smartphone, something about the youtu.be - It also still has it as an https, try from the laptop

It IS from a laptop......Its been this way for me ever since the ''Great Lab Blackout'' of 2013.......weird!

c5galaxy engineer
17th September 2013, 11:30 PM
Wicked stuff. I here rotor blades calling you soon. Just one thing can you put a cover on the back so we can see better please. an electric one would be cool. It all looks good. keep it up. Can't wait to see you and scott side by side doing some pylon racing with your quads or planes. :-)
HEY Mr Airtrucksrus hows your plans going?
For me it looks like i got the 22 cab but will have to collect it .About 4000Km round trip "ouch" But it will be worth it as i'm keen and ready to go
:-) Just waiting on the ready word.

Mick......If you make it happen then you will have a really wicked CGS! I am working on a lid for the back but it is kind of a pain in the ass. For me there is no glare.....it is only picked up by the camera!

Reliku
17th September 2013, 11:55 PM
Wicked stuff.

airtruksrus
18th September 2013, 02:21 PM
Wierd how the web address would copy in that format for you Brett. Hope you had a chance to use the antennas, they seemed to test out better for range on the quad than the ones I've been using. My trailer just needs to get the undercoating applied after cleaning up the rest of the areas that still want to rust up.

c5galaxy engineer
18th September 2013, 03:58 PM
I havent had a chance yet because I need to get a better 1280 VTX. I almost forgot about them!! I guess I still owe you some cash for them.......Geeeeeez. Im glad you reminded me! Send me your paypal info!! Sorry about that bud.

Dude......you are going to love, I say again, LOVE flying in your CGS. I am really starting to have a ball with mine. I redid alot of stuff since you saw it. I remounted the 12 volt battery and the inverter inside the box and hidden and put a remote switch for the inverter in the dash. Now it is so easy to set up and fly it. Aside from the ass pain it is to hook up a small trailer I would say it is easier to set up and fly than if I was using a more conventional Ground Station. I would tell you to design everything you can into making your CGS easy to set up so it will be more fun and less hassle to use. All I really have to do now is get in and flip one switch (as long as all the system switches are in the on position) and I am powered up and ready to fly.........simple. Plus I can use the CGS to haul the plane to the field inside it......lol.

Im tellin ya Scott.........your going to love this shit man!!

airtruksrus
18th September 2013, 11:59 PM
I love hearing this, that all the small stuff is taken care of as you get along further such as better switch location, master switches, keeping the inverter out of the elements. I get to learn from this to set it up right from the beginning. I absolutely know I'm going to be completely stoked the first time flying from inside the box just as you did, looks like your confidence is going up as well. Really hope I can use it for both sim and fpv without too much hassle and get the exposure for flying out there. Kinda figured when you brought it out to show, it would attract some crowds, I know at the airshow it'll be going into panic mode with all the potential fliers. Probably hook up the rcfs up to it for the first round and see if it has the same effect it had when I tried your cgs out.

MICK B.
19th September 2013, 07:24 AM
Hi all. A mirror on the ceiling would that excite you!!!! not that way you dirty minded people. One on a pan and tilt system above your head, To reflect the picture from a projector mounted behind you pointing up at 45-60 degrees? ( whatever it takes )To display on curved shaped screen around you. used in conjunction with head tracker and pan and tilt camera. You could also have a silhouette cut out in the shape of your dash mounted in front of it, So the picture wouldn't project your dash. My 14y son made a sword at work today and was reflecting sun light around the workshop, Making an ass of himself just before we went home, Thats when the penny dropped and the gears started turning. I don't see why this wouldn't work, and if nothing else, It puts up another idea to bounce around that could help.. You wouldn't have to mount the heavy projector on a pan and tilt system. I dont think i will use this system but it could help you guys..

Bad sleep for you tonight Brett. he. he. he.

Mick B.
Down Under.

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 08:31 AM
Woke up at 230am yesterday and 400am this morning........you guys are killing me!! LOL

Actually I have been working towards another little tidbit of cockpit immersion the last few of days that has been keeping my mind from resting.......I am my own worst enemy.....lol. I am trying to modify old aircraft instruments to put into the dash of my CGS. Basically I am taking the gyros and/or other internal workings and replacing them with servos to drive the needles. These of course won't tell me what a real instrument tells a pilot but they will move and give an illusion and thus immersion......lol.....plus it will be cool and thats what it is all about really.

My first attempt is at an old attitude indicator (artificial horizon) that I found at our local second hand store of all places. I saw it a few weeks ago and the gears have been turning ever since. I went in yesterday and saw it again so I offered 10 bucks for it and the lady took it. So my thinking is I can pull this old instrument apart, give it a gyroectomy and put servos in to drive the needle and ball on the indicator face.
Well.......I have got it apart and ripped out everything that I don't need in it. I messed around with servo placement and linkag options but that is about as far as I have got. I just got to tired yesterday and had a pretty bad headache so I took a break.

My thinking is that the read out of the indicator will not give me aircraft position but will indicate stick, trim and flight control positions.......i.e: when I pull back on the stick (or trim) the indicator will indicate a climb even if the airplane is in a dive or sitting still. This will actually be helpful with my pitch and roll trim settings. There is no centering detent on them. They are on the throttle handle and moved with my thumb(pitch) and fore finger (roll). They will give full movement on the channel not just a ''little bit'' like on the stock radio set up. If I give full up trim on then the flight control moves the full travel just like if I was pulling full up on the stick. To make it even more tricky they have no centering detent but I did cut a small notch that I can feel and line up to get centered. Also they DO need to be rolled quite a bit to get full travel, almost 360 degrees and that keeps me out of trouble. So this attitude indicator will be my flight Control Position Indicator (CPI for short) but look like a Real working Artificial Horizon and even move around in flight like one........cooool.

Others I have on my table (so to speak) is a manifold pressure gage or RPM gage that gives me an analog read out of my throttle lever position. Useful for finding a cruise setting and can be used in conjunction with my OSD amp readings. How about a turn/slip indicator that gives me my rudder position similar to the way the artificial horizon does for the aileron and elevator, or a Direction Gyro that tells me the wind direction outside of the CGS so I know witch way to land.......an airspeed indicator could give me a wind speed as well.

Obviously these are instruments I don't need but would be useful and add to the immersion and overall look of the cockpit. They will simply all be driven by a spare UHF Rx and battery buried somewhere behind the dash with yet another on/off control switch for me to play with...........MuuuuHAHAHAhahahahahaha Ahhhh Hhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............

Derrick
19th September 2013, 09:19 AM
This is a really cool idea, I am sure that you could use an ardupilot and parse out the IMU data sending it to the indicators. Alternatively you can go the "glass cockpit" route and just install monitors and run Mavlink.
http://wiki.ardupilot-mega.googlecode.com/git/images/ArduPilotMegaImages/hud.jpg

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 09:28 AM
I actually already have a glass cockpit so to speak but it uses an Ipad and the EZUHF telemetry app but it really isn't that practical at this point. I have thought about the Mavlink as well and I still could do this as all I would have to do is build a new panel and swap it out with whatever configuration that I have already in the dash.

What I really wish is some one that is way smarter than me figure out how to get a signal out of the OSD and into analog instruments so that I could make my instruments actually give me aircraft information. THAT would be COOL. Something about those old gages that I love and they just look awesome in the dash. Anyone can build a glass cockpit......LMAO. Derrick......do you know how this could be done? Or anyone reading this have any ideas?

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 09:33 AM
This is a really cool idea, I am sure that you could use an ardupilot and parse out the IMU data sending it to the indicators.
http://wiki.ardupilot-mega.googlecode.com/git/images/ArduPilotMegaImages/hud.jpg

I wouldn't even know where to begin Derrick.......I wish I had someone around here to show me this kind of stuff......lol

Zeeflyboy
19th September 2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah, you need to do something like that using ardupilot....

EFIS display and moving map, can it get any cooler for a ground station like yours? I think not!

Pooch
19th September 2013, 10:43 AM
Well here is a video from day before yesterday. Like I said I flew 5 packs this day and wont bore you with a video of every flight. This flight video will show you how windy it was that day. You will see it in the tree. I hovered up to it so I could see just how hard the wind was blowing. Anyway........check it out and let me know what you guys think. Landings are getting better but this is before I had the benefit of everyone's suggestions......all in all not bad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkhVRrDycEU&feature=youtu.be

P.S. Can someone tell me why the vids are not embedding??

LOL, I feel your quad landing pain brother!

Gimme a LOS plank/heli, full scale plank/heli or FPV plank I can pretty much nail it just where I want it every time and mostly it's even quite smooth - gimme an FPV quad and if I'm the right way up and within 50 feet of the place I was trying to land when everything stops moving I count it as a great success! :(

Grox on here has a video of me trying to land his QAV400 a few months ago. Maybe he can upload it for comedy value :D

philthyy
19th September 2013, 10:55 AM
Hey C5, my father in law has some hardware that you would probably appreciate (especially with this project)...He told me to tell you that you could have it if you wanted. PM me for more details.

Grox
19th September 2013, 11:11 AM

Gimme a LOS plank/heli, full scale plank/heli or FPV plank I can pretty much nail it just where I want it every time and mostly it's even quite smooth - gimme an FPV quad and if I'm the right way up and within 50 feet of the place I was trying to land when everything stops moving I count it as a great success! :(

Grox on here has a video of me trying to land his QAV400 a few months ago. Maybe he can upload it for comedy value :D

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3svrHfwiMa4

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah, you need to do something like that using ardupilot....

EFIS display and moving map, can it get any cooler for a ground station like yours? I think not!
Yes you are right, however I do have it configured with moving map using the iPad and Immersions Telemetry app but I want the dials and switches.........cant help it, it is the FE in me I guess......lol.

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 12:36 PM

OMG......laughing My Ass Off. Doooooood......one of the videos I had from that day shows just such a landing.........I think I may have even thrust my hand to the top of the CGS to keep me from falling out of the seat. I was upside down and at least 50' from my intended touchdown point......Hhahahahaha!!!!

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 12:38 PM

EPIC.......I guess I should come clean and post my carnage.....lmao

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 12:38 PM

In the interest of full disclosure I am now uploading the video of the worse landing ever of a quad as performed by yours truly.......

Zeeflyboy
19th September 2013, 12:42 PM
What you want to do is definitely achievable... But you will need the help of someone that can code.

All the info you need is accessible from ardupilot telemetry, you just need to output it in a usable format (eg a servo pulse for servos attached to a dial).

EFIS is certainly easier though lol. Another option is to use a screen behind a facia panel and have the code monkey position the "instruments" in the right place to show through the instrument facia panel.

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 01:10 PM
What you want to do is definitely achievable... But you will need the help of someone that can code.

All the info you need is accessible from ardupilot telemetry, you just need to output it in a usable format (eg a servo pulse for servos attached to a dial).

EFIS is certainly easier though lol. Another option is to use a screen behind a facia panel and have the code monkey position the "instruments" in the right place to show through the instrument facia panel.

Interesting idea with the facia panel over the screen......I have seen that done in the sim world but didn't even think about it here. If I could I would rather have the ''real'' gages but I just cant easily do it because I am code challenged.........''sigh''
I guess I could start learning to do it. I didn't even realize the info WAS available until you said something Zee but now that I know I may try to figure something out.

Reliku
19th September 2013, 01:15 PM
I'd personally go with a glass cockpit, but that's because I prefer modern aircraft :3

Like Zee said, it's possible, but hard.

AND POOCH, you just made my day. That landing was so friggin' hilarious, it reminds me of the time I lost a prop midflight. That made my day, thanks :)

c5galaxy engineer
19th September 2013, 01:22 PM
I can go either way with dials or glass in a cockpit.......I never flew the new glass cockpit C-5 Galaxy because I retired about a year before it came out but it sure changed the look of the cockpit. I like em both but some of my favorite cockpits to look at are the old Century Series Fighters from the 60's and early 70's. F-100, F-101, F-105 and the like.......they are so full that they would seem impossible to fly let alone fight with.

Pooch
19th September 2013, 01:36 PM
In the interest of full disclosure I am now uploading the video of the worse landing ever of a quad as performed by yours truly.......

Hahahaha.

I look forward to it!

:) Glad you liked it Reliku, fortunately the only damage was a slightly bent antenna! That video was a few months ago, I can mostly keep it shiny side up now!

Reliku
19th September 2013, 03:06 PM
Looking forward to it as well!

And yeah, I know what you mean. But I don't really like "old" stuff that looks like it's going to fall apart anytime soon. The dash of a mig 15 for example :p
I prefer an f15 or f16 or something similar. And otherwise I'd rather have a glass cockpit like a eurofighter, f22 or f35.

Either way, it HAS to be a fighter plane. No cargo planes for me! :p

SecretSpy711
19th September 2013, 04:36 PM
your next challenge?:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBRyY3JQGWu3zHWK4gnf-BbJ09Ur0Am6kmxJ7PfO63K_OfCDsW

airtruksrus
20th September 2013, 11:27 AM
Brett, you probably saw what I had in mind for the old instruments and made it happen before I even received the gear. There's an old worn out weapons select panel on my table that going to get hooked up to the USB number pad, should work just fine with the Xplane9 program.

Have to plan on a time going into next spring of summer to meet up, should give me all winter to get the system working the way I like it.

c5galaxy engineer
21st September 2013, 12:20 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get this posted guys like I promised 2 days ago.....lol. This is the second flight on that windy day and the last landing I flipped over in a horrible landing.....LMAO. The times of the approaches and landings are 5:30, 7:00, and 7:40. The first two arnt that bad of landings but the last one.......sheeeeesh......Enjoy!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC18WSgTeQk&feature=youtu.be

c5galaxy engineer
21st September 2013, 12:22 AM
Brett, you probably saw what I had in mind for the old instruments and made it happen before I even received the gear. There's an old worn out weapons select panel on my table that going to get hooked up to the USB number pad, should work just fine with the Xplane9 program.

Have to plan on a time going into next spring of summer to meet up, should give me all winter to get the system working the way I like it.

I remember you telling me about it Scott. I cant wait to see it.

Reliku
21st September 2013, 02:15 AM
Love the crash landing hahaha

Pooch
21st September 2013, 06:16 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get this posted guys like I promised 2 days ago.....lol. This is the second flight on that windy day and the last landing I flipped over in a horrible landing.....LMAO. The times of the approaches and landings are 5:30, 7:00, and 7:40. The first two arnt that bad of landings but the last one.......sheeeeesh......Enjoy!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC18WSgTeQk&feature=youtu.be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC18WSgTeQk&feature=youtu.be)

:D :D

Obviously some kind of malfunction in the flight controller! That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

c5galaxy engineer
21st September 2013, 08:40 AM
Yes Pooch......a malfunction.....or an errant, roug gust of wind. Hahahahaha.
BTW.....notice in this earlier flight video with the bad landing I have a grip on the stick like a gorilla on a banana......the later flight video my grip is a bit more relaxed.....
Damn!.....did I just learn something?!?!?!

c5galaxy engineer
21st September 2013, 08:50 AM
Also........does anyone recognize the kind of video interference I am getting in these vids. I would hope for better performance from the video system.

Lawmate 500 with NGhobbies.com PSU
EZuhf diversity RX
RMRC 700 camera
EZ OSD
Circular Wireless SPW on both TX and RX.....
Stock cabling from camera and EZ OSD
2650 3s battery
I am not using any filters or torrid rings........
Any ideas

Reliku
21st September 2013, 09:49 AM
Start using a filter or a different video battery, that'll help loads.

c5galaxy engineer
21st September 2013, 11:05 AM
I will give the second battery a try........I think that will answer the obvious question. Then I can fix my power supply problem off the main battery. Since I installed the PSU for the Lawmate that Flying Monkey recommended it has improved a bunch. Everything I read said that if I used that PSU I probably wouldn't need a filter of any type but I'm thinking that isn't true in my case. I have a 500 mah I can throw on and see what happens. Thanks for the push to do that Reliku.......I dont know why I have been resisting it.

I just got back inside after a Dawn Patrol over the Duck Pond and my house. Its a beautiful sunrise here this morning and I was having fun flying but for some reason this morning I seem a little ''off''. I just wasn't comfortable flying and my flying was showing it. Anybody ever had a day like that? Maybe it is because I was flying over water.......that does make me nervous but I didn't think it was that bad......lol I will have the video up as soon as it up loads and I also did a walk around video of the CGS as well so you guys can get a better idea of how it works.

Reliku
21st September 2013, 01:13 PM
I use a seperate video battery on both my quad and my f16. If you want clear view, all components need to be filtered. Cam, vtx, everything.

c5galaxy engineer
21st September 2013, 01:47 PM
I guess I know now.....lol.
Its funny because I always thought that people spend way to much time trying to get the ''Perfect'' video........but now I understand.......I WANT PERFECTION!! lol

Flying Monkey
21st September 2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah that PSU cleans up the crap for the vtx, but you still need a LC filter on the camera, as close to the camera as possible.

c5galaxy engineer
21st September 2013, 11:01 PM
, but you still need a LC filter on the camera, as close to the camera as possible.

Really........did not realize that! BTW.......I had a dream last night that Flying Monkey was the first to fly aerobatics with a Honey Badger quad from the cockpit of the CGS........In my dream that was kinda a big deal.......lmao

Sooooooo here is the newest ''Walk around video''. This will give you a video perspective of the cockpit........plus you all get to see yours truly as the star of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nKli1lNh5M

And here is the new ''Dawn Patrol over the pond video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPLhxfZQUw

Flying Monkey
22nd September 2013, 01:13 AM
youtube stabilization makes me seasick............

Reliku
22nd September 2013, 05:24 AM
A clean vtx will still be affected by a dirty camera input yes ;)

And those videos were fun to watch! Just, next time, don't use the ingenious youtube stabilizer. It makes everything much worse. Never use it.

And dawn patrol... LOL

c5galaxy engineer
22nd September 2013, 08:35 AM
Yea.......I am NOT impressed with the stabilization (using the term loosely here) youtube provides either. I thought it couldnt hurt with this video but I was wrong. I will never use that shit again........lol.

So Peter Pan Monkey Man.........you up for some aerobatics in this. You would literally be making my dreams come true........BWaaaaaaaa Haaaaa Haaaahahahahahahah!!!! ROTF

MICK B.
22nd September 2013, 09:30 AM
Hi All. talking about picture quality. I fitted a new gyro to the Trex 450 heli and recorded the first flight today. video quality is that bad it's black and white. Not sure what went wrong but i loaded it anyway as the bird chase looks ok. Just wish the vodeo was good.

http://youtu.be/bgOyE3E4Ldg

c5galaxy engineer
22nd September 2013, 11:42 AM
Nice MICK!! I think I would really like to try a more conventional helli in my CGS. I just remember how expensive those damn ''mishaps'' cost me when I was learning to fly hellis back in the early 90's. I am afraid to climb that ladder again but you got me thinking about it.

MICK B.
22nd September 2013, 05:30 PM
Hi Brett. The 450 isn't too bad. any bigger and it starts costing when you get it wrong, The best thing with them is there's heaps of clones, so you can get repair parts at the right price. The worst part is the repair time. Thats where the quads have it over them big time, So stick with the quads until the bug is chewing at you real bad.

Mick B.

airtruksrus
22nd September 2013, 05:51 PM
Nice video for the cgs layout but that stabilization does suck, tried early on with one of my first videos. Guess you decided to do this version after refining your setup a bit, wouldn't have worked for doing something similar on the first vid with us flying, just working out the bugs in the system. When are you going to fly the Zephyr with the station?

c5galaxy engineer
22nd September 2013, 08:30 PM
Im going to work on a launch ramp system tomorrow for the Zll. I got some silicone tubing and PVC pipe. I just need to draw up a plan and go buy some fittings. I think I will mount it to the top of the CGS and then stretch the bungee out in front. Even if I have the CGS hooked to the jeep I should be able to stretch the bungee over the top of the jeep and steak it to the ground out in front of the jeep. we will see but that is the plan......
B

c5galaxy engineer
22nd September 2013, 08:31 PM
Scott are you going to build a catapult launch for yours also?

Charlienofun
22nd September 2013, 09:14 PM
Guys check out this catapult.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806237

Flying Monkey
22nd September 2013, 11:07 PM
So Peter Pan Monkey Man.........you up for some aerobatics in this.

YES please :D

Guys check out this catapult.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806237

I'm building that one for my HK Phantom Wing :) Not that its a hard plane to hand launch, but so I can launch goggles on, sitting down AND for those range record flights not waste any mah circling while I try to get my goggles down.

c5galaxy engineer
23rd September 2013, 12:09 AM
That thing is awesome........I like it because you can spool up before you launch!!

Reliku
23rd September 2013, 01:28 AM
That's a pretty cool design too.

I ordered a bungee ramp from HK a few days ago, should arrive this week. Not really a rail-like launcher, but interested to see how that'll do :)

c5galaxy engineer
23rd September 2013, 08:34 AM
Yea......I saw that you ordered one of those from your F-16 thread. I thought about ordering one myself the price is certainly right. I just was concerned it wouldn't have enough ''poop'' to huck a ZII into the air. Please let me know what you think of it when you get it!! I would be interested in a mini review of it. Thanks Reliku for reminding me. I wanted to ask you about it over in your thread but got distracted by something shiny and then forgot.

Zeeflyboy
23rd September 2013, 08:39 AM
I thought about ordering one myself the price is certainly right. I just was concerned it wouldn't have enough ''poop'' to huck a ZII into the air.

I'm sat here trying to figure out how a faecal powered bungee launcher works.

Screw all this elastic band bollocks anyway, you're 'merican. Buy rockets. Lots of rockets.

c5galaxy engineer
23rd September 2013, 08:55 AM
Yes!! Rockets.....damn good idea!. BTW Zee, I still would still like to buy a couple of those Hellfire's from you Mr. International FPV Arms Dealer! I got a couple of pesky feral cats here that have a taste for duck. I lost at least 4 of my personal stock to them. I wasn't sure what was happening to my buddies until my and my wife were sitting in the hot tub one night and saw one stalk and attack a duck. Luckily it got away into the water but not before answering my question about the disappearances.

Reliku
23rd September 2013, 09:06 AM
Hahaha, I'm not american! :p

airtruksrus
23rd September 2013, 09:44 AM
Scott are you going to build a catapult launch for yours also?

Put alot of thought into making one that folds up on top and using the bungees with pulleys. The Techpod is going to need a peg system on the back of the fuse and a hold back support on the nose that will swing down when it gets to the end of the launch ramp. Should be a soft enough launch to not stress the wing mounts and make sure the flaps are down, should be a little less complex for yours since you can punch the throttle after release. Just need a release lever on the ceiling.

c5galaxy engineer
23rd September 2013, 12:23 PM
Just bought these to spruce up the look of the cockpit........
Manifold Pressure gage will be used to give me throttle position and the other two ''bonus gages'' will be used as per manufactures suggestion as long as they work as advertised. I also bought a second DC volt gage that I will use to monitor the 12v deep cycle battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121177782047?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290968467246?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Reliku
23rd September 2013, 01:04 PM
Cool stuff!

airtruksrus
23rd September 2013, 01:25 PM
Good deal.

Can't stop this idea in my head of both of us getting ready for launch at the same time.

c5galaxy engineer
23rd September 2013, 01:41 PM
Good deal.

Can't stop this idea in my head of both of us getting ready for launch at the same time.

formation launch and flight.......lol

Reliku
25th September 2013, 02:14 PM
Launcher review, as you wish:

It's not THAT big, but it's big enough. The bungee cord is 2m long, and it comes with all required accessories, the only thing you'll need is a screwdriver and a hook on your aircraft. It believe it'll work fine. And of course, launching yourself while wearing goggles won't differ too much from a bloody carrier catapult launch I imagine! Should be amazing. I just need to get a scale plane up and running again ASAP :o

The launcher with the f16 wreckage for size comparison.

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/3840/i7nz.jpg

It's not big, as you can see. But it'll do the job. And dismantled it's fairly easy to transport. The system is simple and I bet it won't be breaking anytime soon. The only negative remark is that the iron screws and stakes were quite rusty. They'll work though :p

KirkaFordisRex
29th September 2013, 02:18 AM
In case anybody is wondering, it takes a little over 6 hours to read this entire thread from the beginning, if you follow all the links and watch all the videos. Although to be honest I spent at least 45 minutes in Zeeflyboy's thread just looking at the pictures of that "Little Bird".

I'm Kirk and I'm new to FPV. Returning to R/C after about a 15 year absence. I'm trying to get all caught up to speed and build my own CGS. My goal is to fly a 700 size gas heli from a CGS 3 monitor setup.

Before today I was planning on running my HOTAS through a PC, then out to a transmitter or Dragon Link. I don't think I have the stomach to buy a new TX and HOTAS and open them up. We'll see. The Forcefly option looks intriguing.

c5 I have a couple questions about the forcefly.

If you don't want force feedback, will the ff work with any hotas?
In your opinion would the ff be hackable to work with helicopter mixing?
If the ff is run through a programmable radio, do you know if the tx will preserve the programming, or be over written by the ff?

Also I wanted to add, if you're looking at projection for your video, I would recommend swapping out the rigid canopy you have now for something more like fabric. If you had a highly reflective surface like a damaged projector screen that you can pull tight over a light weight frame (like the way a tent stays up) that would solve your wooden panel problem and provide you with a semi circular interior. It would just have to be stowed during travel.

c5galaxy engineer
29th September 2013, 08:19 AM
LMAO @ 6 hours.....hahaha I have to be honest.......I was wondering if the thread was worth a total read from beginning to end......lol. There is a lot of stuff in this thread I guess......lol.

Welcome to the world of FPV......I was you about 2 years ago. I was Huge into R/C back in the 90's then got out while I explored the world of Paragliding and Powered Paragliding around the Sacramento area while I was stationed at Travis AFB in Vacaville Ca. When I retired I was poking around thinking about getting into R/C again and found FPV. ''What a long strange trip is been!'' I have met some really cool people here on the Lab......and some of the most creative people here. You will see what I mean........Hell' you have already found Zee's AH-64 thread so you can see what I mean.

The 3 screan set up is probably doable but I think difficult especially with a helicopter because of the limited availability of real estate on it to cram electronics. Plus you will have Video transmitters trying work in close proximity to each other. There are a lot of technical obstacles to climb over but man o man will it be cool. Personally I have thought about starting with 2 monitors and moving on from there. Its only money.......lol

Short answers to your questions.......
No
No
Yes

Long answers.......

No.......The FF is designed to be used with only a hand full of HOTAS as well as a yoke system. It is a very well designed little piece of hardware but you are limited on the joystick systems you can use it with. The program in it will only work with the listed gaming systems but they ARE the best FF systems out there. The program maps the functions of the buttons and switches of those systems.

No.....While the mixing of the Forcefly system is extremely versatile it is really meant for fixed wing. You can mix any channel to any channel or any channel to any function button or whatever but it does NOT have a heli specific program. It would work but it would NOT be simple as that. There would definitely be some work a rounds you would be challenged with.

Yes.....the FF would be the command radio. The Forcefly system IS essentially the computer and you radio with its expensive program is merely the frequency transmitter. In fact I hooked mine straight up to a UHF transmitter. All the channel mixing and aircraft program memory is handled by the FF.......again.....it is the ''brains'' but does not have a transmitter in it. It needs to borrow one from the trainer port of a TX or the PPM input of a UHF system. It Does generate its own PPM signal.

With all that said I do think the FF is a remarkable piece of hardware but it is not the be all end all solution for a CGS set up. I personally didn't like the way the FF stick feels in flight.......it can all be adjusted but there is nothing like good old fashioned spring centered stick. Now that I have learned to hover in my CGS I do not think that the Force Feedback stick would be easy to use for hovering and I bought the best one the Forcefly system is programed for and one of the best FF sticks on the market in general. It just doesn't ''feel'' right.......but that is my opinion.

I guess it all depends on the type of CGS you want to build. I wanted to be able to build my own function buttons and switches like the ''landing gear handle'' for example. With the FF my landing gear action would have been a function button either on the joystick or one on the throttle handle.......cool enough but not a very realistic cockpit situation. My goal was to build a realistic cockpit not just a stick and rudder system (and I am far from through......lol)! Some guys are fine just building a chair and stick and rudder system and wearing goggles with head tracking........they don't need a realistic ''looking'' cockpit interior because they cant see it anyway. MICK's helli chair set up is a great example of this type of system. It works great and is very immersive! I like the cockpit type environment so that's what I built. Both have their merits. MICK can chime in here but I bet it took him a 100th of the time to build his CGS than it did mine and probably cost a lot less.......lol......but he has just as much fun flying his system as I do mine. Last I herd though is he is getting a hold of an actual helli cockpit to build a CGS in.....cant wait for that!

I guess what I am saying is that I do recommend building a CGS because it is a VERY VERY fun thing to fly in. I cant tell you how much fun I have, but build it so it is simple to operate. It MUST be a simple thing to operate or you wont have as much fun. Set up is a drag! I get in mine and hit the master switch wait for the TV to ''warm up'' (about 10 seconds or less and I have an image) and I am ready to fly. Getting in my cockpit ''cold'' and turning it on and be ready to fly takes me less time than it takes someone with conventional FPV gear to put it on and be ready for takeoff even if they already have their gear turned on and all ''warmed up''.

If I had it all to do over again I STILL would hack the joystick, throttle and rudder peddles, and integrate them with a hacked radio of your choice just like I did. I wasted a lot of time and construction around the Force Feedback system. With hindsight being 20/20 it was easier to hack it then to build around and experiment with force feedback.......it is a cool idea but not conducive to what I was trying to achieve.

The Hack itself is not as difficult as it seems......now that I have done it, I am looking for a much more sophisticated radio to hack so I have even more CGS ''power''. It is very straightforward idea but takes some time with a soldering iron and screw driver. BTW......the joystick and throttle I use are eBay cheapos at about 20 bucks......they are almost to easy to hack really, and I recommend that joystick system to you as well. Any radio of your choice will work.......simply take the back off and remove the pots and switches you want in the cockpit and solder on extension wires and move them into the cockpit. I say it like it is simple but it took me a solid week of soldering and experimenting to ''giterdun''........and I am NOT an electronics genius......in fact I am an electronics moron....I am NOT kidding!
If I can do it anyone can.......radios these days just are not that expensive. I think my next hack radio will be a brand new Turnigy 9XR. This way I can buy just about any tx module for it and still be able to hook up a UHF system. prety cool

Anyway Kirk. WELCOME and please feel free to post your build pics here or any links to your own thread if you want. Love to see more people coming on board with the CGS concept of flying. I think as I get more people to fly in mine they will realize how much fun it is and spread the word. I dont know if you have seen Airtrucksrus (aka Scott) build thread on his but you should follow it as well. He was one of the first guys to fly in my CGS and then went home to Seattle area and started building his own. He is the other guy in the video of us flying the Sky Surfer. I cant wait for him to finish it!!

Reliku
29th September 2013, 08:52 AM
Hell' you have already found Zee's AH-64 thread so you can see what I mean.

Zee's building an AH-6Z, not an AH-64. This is the difference:

AH-6
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/MH-6_Little_Bird.jpg

AH-64
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/AH-64D_Apache_Longbow.jpg

Sorry, I just had to point that out :rolleyes:

c5galaxy engineer
29th September 2013, 09:24 AM
Yup.......obvious typo. I hauled both around on my plane for 20 years and know the difference but you just had to point it out didn't you?!?!?! I cant wait for you to get old and some little know it all follows you around ........LMAO!!!!!

Good catch........hall monitor!

Now go find some typos in Zee's thread.

LMAO.....still

airtruksrus
29th September 2013, 09:32 AM
Sometimes Brett, it could be the fact there is just waaaaay too many aircraft designations to keep up with...

c5galaxy engineer
29th September 2013, 09:36 AM
Sometimes Brett, it could be the fact there is just waaaaay too many aircraft designations to keep up with...

No kidding......but I think in reality I'm loosing my edge Maverik. When I was young I kept them all in my head and could often recognize planes in the air long before my counterparts..........but now?!?!?! They say if you don't use it you lose it! Its time to pass the torch to the younger crowd I guess. (sigh).......I love airplanes so much to.

airtruksrus
29th September 2013, 10:02 AM
Don't lose your edge too quick, need to come over and fly with you and the sim whether mine is finished or not. Just need the really comfortable chair, small monitor, controls and a cool shade.

c5galaxy engineer
29th September 2013, 10:06 AM
Don't lose your edge too quick, need to come over and fly with you and the sim whether mine is finished or not. Just need the really comfortable chair, small monitor, controls and a cool shade.

DO NOT forget to put a cup holder in it!!!!!

Reliku
29th September 2013, 11:02 AM
Lol indeed I just HAD to point it out hahaha

And no worries, everyone says I'm suffering memory loss already as well, so it's no big deal :p

c5galaxy engineer
29th September 2013, 11:05 AM
Yea but at your age your memory loss is ''selective''........If it doesn't have anything to do with girls or airplanes you don't WANT to remember it........lol.

Reliku
29th September 2013, 11:32 AM
Brett, here's a vid on the performance of the catapult. The bungee cord could be extended more, but I chose not to do so since that'd be overkill on a swift. It's really cool to launch yourself this way though! I definitely recommend getting one! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TMljC6JE9I

Flying Monkey
29th September 2013, 01:16 PM
LMAO @ 6 hours.....hahaha I have to be honest.......I was wondering if the thread was worth a total read from beginning to end......lol. There is a lot of stuff in this thread I guess......lol.

Welcome to the world of FPV......I was you about 2 years ago. I was Huge into R/C back in the 90's then got out while I explored the world of Paragliding and Powered Paragliding around the Sacramento area while I was stationed at Travis AFB in Vacaville Ca. When I retired I was poking around thinking about getting into R/C again and found FPV. ''What a long strange trip is been!'' I have met some really cool people here on the Lab......and some of the most creative people here. You will see what I mean........Hell' you have already found Zee's AH-64 thread so you can see what I mean.

The 3 screan set up is probably doable but I think difficult especially with a helicopter because of the limited availability of real estate on it to cram electronics. Plus you will have Video transmitters trying work in close proximity to each other. There are a lot of technical obstacles to climb over but man o man will it be cool. Personally I have thought about starting with 2 monitors and moving on from there. Its only money.......lol

Short answers to your questions.......
No
No
Yes

Long answers.......

No.......The FF is designed to be used with only a hand full of HOTAS as well as a yoke system. It is a very well designed little piece of hardware but you are limited on the joystick systems you can use it with. The program in it will only work with the listed gaming systems but they ARE the best FF systems out there. The program maps the functions of the buttons and switches of those systems.

No.....While the mixing of the Forcefly system is extremely versatile it is really meant for fixed wing. You can mix any channel to any channel or any channel to any function button or whatever but it does NOT have a heli specific program. It would work but it would NOT be simple as that. There would definitely be some work a rounds you would be challenged with.

Yes.....the FF would be the command radio. The Forcefly system IS essentially the computer and you radio with its expensive program is merely the frequency transmitter. In fact I hooked mine straight up to a UHF transmitter. All the channel mixing and aircraft program memory is handled by the FF.......again.....it is the ''brains'' but does not have a transmitter in it. It needs to borrow one from the trainer port of a TX or the PPM input of a UHF system. It Does generate its own PPM signal.

With all that said I do think the FF is a remarkable piece of hardware but it is not the be all end all solution for a CGS set up. I personally didn't like the way the FF stick feels in flight.......it can all be adjusted but there is nothing like good old fashioned spring centered stick. Now that I have learned to hover in my CGS I do not think that the Force Feedback stick would be easy to use for hovering and I bought the best one the Forcefly system is programed for and one of the best FF sticks on the market in general. It just doesn't ''feel'' right.......but that is my opinion.

I guess it all depends on the type of CGS you want to build. I wanted to be able to build my own function buttons and switches like the ''landing gear handle'' for example. With the FF my landing gear action would have been a function button either on the joystick or one on the throttle handle.......cool enough but not a very realistic cockpit situation. My goal was to build a realistic cockpit not just a stick and rudder system (and I am far from through......lol)! Some guys are fine just building a chair and stick and rudder system and wearing goggles with head tracking........they don't need a realistic ''looking'' cockpit interior because they cant see it anyway. MICK's helli chair set up is a great example of this type of system. It works great and is very immersive! I like the cockpit type environment so that's what I built. Both have their merits. MICK can chime in here but I bet it took him a 100th of the time to build his CGS than it did mine and probably cost a lot less.......lol......but he has just as much fun flying his system as I do mine. Last I herd though is he is getting a hold of an actual helli cockpit to build a CGS in.....cant wait for that!

I guess what I am saying is that I do recommend building a CGS because it is a VERY VERY fun thing to fly in. I cant tell you how much fun I have, but build it so it is simple to operate. It MUST be a simple thing to operate or you wont have as much fun. Set up is a drag! I get in mine and hit the master switch wait for the TV to ''warm up'' (about 10 seconds or less and I have an image) and I am ready to fly. Getting in my cockpit ''cold'' and turning it on and be ready to fly takes me less time than it takes someone with conventional FPV gear to put it on and be ready for takeoff even if they already have their gear turned on and all ''warmed up''.

If I had it all to do over again I STILL would hack the joystick, throttle and rudder peddles, and integrate them with a hacked radio of your choice just like I did. I wasted a lot of time and construction around the Force Feedback system. With hindsight being 20/20 it was easier to hack it then to build around and experiment with force feedback.......it is a cool idea but not conducive to what I was trying to achieve.

The Hack itself is not as difficult as it seems......now that I have done it, I am looking for a much more sophisticated radio to hack so I have even more CGS ''power''. It is very straightforward idea but takes some time with a soldering iron and screw driver. BTW......the joystick and throttle I use are eBay cheapos at about 20 bucks......they are almost to easy to hack really, and I recommend that joystick system to you as well. Any radio of your choice will work.......simply take the back off and remove the pots and switches you want in the cockpit and solder on extension wires and move them into the cockpit. I say it like it is simple but it took me a solid week of soldering and experimenting to ''giterdun''........and I am NOT an electronics genius......in fact I am an electronics moron....I am NOT kidding!
If I can do it anyone can.......radios these days just are not that expensive. I think my next hack radio will be a brand new Turnigy 9XR. This way I can buy just about any tx module for it and still be able to hook up a UHF system. prety cool

Anyway Kirk. WELCOME and please feel free to post your build pics here or any links to your own thread if you want. Love to see more people coming on board with the CGS concept of flying. I think as I get more people to fly in mine they will realize how much fun it is and spread the word. I dont know if you have seen Airtrucksrus (aka Scott) build thread on his but you should follow it as well. He was one of the first guys to fly in my CGS and then went home to Seattle area and started building his own. He is the other guy in the video of us flying the Sky Surfer. I cant wait for him to finish it!!

6 hours to read the whole thread? Hell, it took me 6 hours to read ^this post!

c5galaxy engineer
29th September 2013, 04:57 PM
6 hours to read the whole thread? Hell, it took me 6 hours to read ^this post!

You really are a Monkey.......aren't you?

c5galaxy engineer
29th September 2013, 05:03 PM
Brett, here's a vid on the performance of the catapult. The bungee cord could be extended more, but I chose not to do so since that'd be overkill on a swift. It's really cool to launch yourself this way though! I definitely recommend getting one! :D

Duuuuuude.......You built the most simple CGS on the planet.....The "lil blue CGS"......lol
Thanks for posting that........That looks pretty easy cheesy to do!! I dont suppose you have any FPV of that launch??

Reliku
29th September 2013, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately, no. Easycap doesn't seem to take an fpv video signal as a proper source. The video is always out of sync. I need a good video capture device sometime soon!

And it is really easy, and it works like a charm. For $23, I definitely recommend it!

The blue CGS is what I use for all my club flights. I get dizzy if I stand while fpving. But I WILL make a proper CGS someday. Just... when I have time, resources and a proper means of transport.

In fact, I've been considering making it stationary. Mount the vrx and flight tx on top of the roof (well, my parents' roof, that is!), lead the cables back to my room and fly from up here. Establish a catapult launcher somewhere around the house (you know, the garden splits in half, my fpv rig gets launched from an underground bunker and the garden closes again). Launch, go vertical and climb to a safe altitude and carry out today's mission LOL

Just haven't figured out how to land like that again yet. Oh, and there might be something about my parent's approval :rolleyes:

KirkaFordisRex
29th September 2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the reply, I forgot I had a few other questions.

What kind of camera are you running with on your aircraft, and what is the lens? I've only spent a week looking at cameras but I'm trying to find the sweetspot on the field of view. The wider the FOV, the bigger the TV or the closer it has to be to your face. I threw some trigonometric functions into an excel document to play around with the concept.

The problem is that a 90 degree lens requires a 20 inch width monitor to be placed 10 inches from your face.

Just curious on your set up.

Flying Monkey
29th September 2013, 09:42 PM
You really are a Monkey.......aren't you?

Ssshhhh!!! Try to keep it on the down low!

Reliku
29th September 2013, 11:52 PM

What kind of camera are you running with on your aircraft, and what is the lens? I've only spent a week looking at cameras but I'm trying to find the sweetspot on the field of view. The wider the FOV, the bigger the TV or the closer it has to be to your face. I threw some trigonometric functions into an excel document to play around with the concept.

The problem is that a 90 degree lens requires a 20 inch width monitor to be placed 10 inches from your face.

Nobody uses a screen with the same fov as the camera. That's not manageable. 2.8mm is the most common kind of lens, that's a fov of about 100 degrees I believe. All on through goggles with often only 30 degrees fov ;)

c5galaxy engineer
30th September 2013, 12:13 AM

My advice would be to not get to wrapped up in lenses and monitors and spread sheets and documents.....blah blah blah. The thing is that the lenses most used by FPVers are on the wide angle side of things and if you use a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor the image is stretched even further since the FPV vid equipment broadcast in a low definition 4:3 aspect ratio so you are dealing with a effed up image to begin with. The thing is you can only get so much FOV information onto the screen and you will just get a headache if you try to put the monitor to close.......lol......just like your mom used to tell you. You will be amazed at how much FOV does not matter so much with the larger screen. Your center of focus will cause your peripheral FOV to narrow in your brain and you wont notice much outside of the very center of your vision......trust me on this. Just pick the lens with one of the common FOVs (I cant remember for sure but I think it is 2.8mm or 3.6mm or is it 2.6mm and 3.8mm......it doesnt matter because Reliku or Flying Monkey will correct me very publicly......lol).
I use a 46 inch monitor with a pretty much standard FPV camera (I have several and they all work with the CGS just fine) with 3.6 (or 8) lense. The 2 point whatever lense is better if you want to see more of the inside of the airplane like in the case of ZeeFlyBoys helicopter or Eurofighter build with scale cockpits inside the plane. (I could be talking out my ass here because I did not do a lot of research in this area but Zee will chime in if I am out of line and church us all up). I sit about 4.5 feet from my monitor and I get all the immersion I could possibly want.
Flying Monkey is pretty smart about this stuff as well so he can chime in here as well.

Reliku
30th September 2013, 04:44 AM
2.8 is standard for quads. Proper fov for low altitude flying, gives you plenty of info about your surroundings. 3.6 is better for high flying, but your fov is less. Of course, your depth perception is better with 3.6. Some people even use 6.0mm for night flying, it's super easy to spot distance and low light capability is awesome, but you can't see crap of what's next to you.

There are also wider fov lenses, such as 2.5 or 2.1mm. I've used 2.1mm on my quad, but slammed full into the ground while under the perception of flying at 10ft high. It requires lots of practice to fly with such lenses. But once you learn to fly with them, they can give you an amazing ablity to see more than just the things in front of you.

6.0mm is about a fov of 45 degrees. 3.6 is about 85. 2.1 is about 150. This is of course for 1/3 inch CCD cams ;)

I suggest starting with a 3.6mm lens on planes, or 2.8mm on quads. Don't use anything else until you're comfortable with those ;)

c5galaxy engineer
30th September 2013, 06:46 AM
I use 3.6 on my quad but that is mostly because that is just what I had. I may try a 2.8 just to see what the difference is and how it looks in the CGS. I have never given much thought to my lenses. I know what I have is working but thats about it. I guess I will order something with a 2.8mm to play around with........lol

Zeeflyboy
30th September 2013, 06:53 AM
i'm using either a 2.1 or 1.8 on my AH-6, I forget which I went with in the end...

Try matching that up with a screen lol.

c5galaxy engineer
30th September 2013, 07:01 AM
WoW........I didnt know you went that loose on the FOV?!?!?! That is some fisheyed world you and Juan live in there. What did you use in the Eurofighter? I thought it was 2.8 for some reason.

Zeeflyboy
30th September 2013, 07:09 AM
2.1 in the euro.

As you can see from that, fisheye isn't an issue. The smaller the focal length, generally the wider the depth of field for a given aperture... Makes it much easier to get an acceptable balance of focus for both the cockpit and the outside world.

Reliku
30th September 2013, 11:42 AM
And the worse the depth perception.

I used 2.1 and 2.8 on my f16. Although I never flew with 2.1, I'm somewhat glad I went with 2.8. I flew my quad with 2.1 and it wasn't really comfortable to me. Requires lots of practice.

I fly 3.6 on everything atm, but I prefer 2.8 on the quad really. Was going to swap out my cam on it again since the current one is glitchy. I'll put iton something experimental lol.

KirkaFordisRex
30th September 2013, 01:14 PM
Good info here guys. Zee, you'll definitely need to go with a projector..lol

Brett, a 46" LCD has about 42" of width and a 3.8mm lens has about 72degrees of horizontal FOV. In order to get a 1:1 ratio from your eye while sitting in the cgs, it needs to be right about 3' away.

The stretching that you're doing with the aspect ratio is actually quite brilliant. Think back a couple of pages ago there was a fella that was showing distortion/stretching across multiple monitors. That's really helping you get close to a reasonable 1:1 because if you left it in 4:3 aspect it would reduce the width and need to be even closer.

Here's the formula I came up with.

Tangent(FOV/2) = (monitor width/2)/Distance to yer face

there's no units so Rad/Deg or mm/in

So for example Zee's 2.1mm lens gives about 158-160 degrees of horizontal view.

Plug it in
Tan(160/2) = (w/2)/D

Reduce it
5.67 = (w/2)/D

Now lets presume that Zee wants a giant room for his CGS (with a giant budget) and decides to have the screen 150cm(~5') away from his eyes

Plug it in
5.67 = (w/2)/150

Solve for w
300(5.67) = w = 1701cm

So Zee would need a projector that would display an image 17m(55') wide that would need to be wrapped around him in a bubble configuration to get a 1:1 ratio from camera to CGS.

But with a handmade cockpit like that, clearly not the way to go.

Galaxy, I think you used a bit of that "engineering intuition" to get a setup that is so close to spot on without even trying. I would never be able to eye ball it that well.

Feel free to check my math or formula. I could definitely be missing something.

Flying Monkey
30th September 2013, 01:29 PM
WoW........I didn't know you went that loose on the FOV?!?!?! That is some fish eyed world you and Juan live in there. What did you use in the Eurofighter? I thought it was 2.8 for some reason.

Yeah, I use 3.6 for airplanes, 2.9 for multirotors and if I'm going to fly the mini quad through some seriously tight spaces, forest, etc then a 2.1. Honestly I found the 2.1 to be easier when learning how to fly fpv on a multi... make it feel less claustrophobic but yeah things are closer than they appear...BUT that's kinda relative anyhow cause multirotors pick up speed quickly so the wide angle just makes it a little quicker which trained me to fly more carefully, precisely. Used the 1.78 exactly once, hehe, way too distorted but could be awesome to fly through small holes. The other thing is that wider fov lenses lets in more light so its better for night flying, that's been my experience anyhow.

Check these out
https://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16&zenid=65bc6082a66b05029dca5e14e3216521

What I use, and is awesome for night flying
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122_16&products_id=42&zenid=65bc6082a66b05029dca5e14e3216521

And the ridiculous lense
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122_16&products_id=66&zenid=65bc6082a66b05029dca5e14e3216521

airtruksrus
30th September 2013, 02:15 PM
Definitely an issue I'll have to check out with the various cameras around the garage. want to give the best view in the Cgs where situational awareness is limited.

Reliku
30th September 2013, 02:32 PM
F2.0 awesome for night flying? Wow, you're kinda missing out I suppose. You should get a F1.2 lens for night flying, MUCH more light ;)

Zeeflyboy
30th September 2013, 05:46 PM
the problem with f1.2 is that it's just too damn bright for daytime use in my experience... you need to have a specific day and night cam (or at least lens).

I found an f1.4 3.6mm lens for my FLIR pod on the AH-6 which so far seems to do a good job of being a jack of all trades as regards light handling. Time will tell once it starts seeing proper use.

Flying Monkey
30th September 2013, 06:37 PM
the problem with f1.2 is that it's just too damn bright for daytime use in my experience... you need to have a specific day and night cam (or at least lens).

Nailed it!! I've got a f1.2 night lenses but I don't want to change lenses or camera each time I do a night flight, and really I don't do them very often and usually fly at a well lit parking lot anyhow.

KirkaFordisRex
30th September 2013, 06:39 PM
I found an f1.4 3.6mm lens for my FLIR pod on the AH-6 which so far seems to do a good job of being a jack of all trades as regards light handling. Time will tell once it starts seeing proper use.

Zee, with the amount or realism you have in your aircraft I'm surprised you don't get and actual FLIR camera
http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/view/?id=51221

c5galaxy engineer
30th September 2013, 09:59 PM
Galaxy, I think you used a bit of that "engineering intuition" to get a setup that is so close to spot on without even trying. I would never be able to eye ball it that well.

Feel free to check my math or formula. I could definitely be missing something.

Nawwww.......No need to check your math and run the risk of me NOT being a brilliant eyeballing engineering genius......lol

I dont know if it is right or wrong but I will tell you it works like a champ........I didnt even know there was any math to apply to it........WTF?!?!?! My brain hurts now.....LMAO! It is good to know that I hit the target though. Thanks for the Math back up. Lets keep this on the down low because Zee will probably be jealous and try to out do me.......

Flying Monkey
1st October 2013, 12:53 AM
Zee, with the amount or realism you have in your aircraft I'm surprised you don't get and actual FLIR camera
http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/view/?id=51221

Aside from the price... FLIR cameras are export controlled. You can still get one in Europe but its downgraded.

Reliku
1st October 2013, 01:49 AM
Ok, depends on WHERE you fly night fpv of course ;)

KirkaFordisRex
1st October 2013, 09:14 AM
Aside from the price... FLIR cameras are export controlled. You can still get one in Europe but its downgraded.

Monkey, you send me the cash, I'll send you a flir.

Its nice to dream a little. And who knows, in another 10 years maybe these will be down in the 400 $ price range.

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 09:18 AM
...........expecting PDXDave to chime in here any minute now.........

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 09:30 AM
Well you guys have got me rethinking my camera set up's now. I do want to try some night flying so I guess I should look at f-stops. I would like to try a wider FOV but I am kind of nervous to since I kind of got flying in the CGS figured out now with the status quo.

Monkey......you do all your proximity Monkey flying with a pretty wide FOV huh?
I was wondering how you proximity guys had eyes in the backs of your heads......seemingly anyway. When you watch the footage through the lens of the Gopro all looks fairly normal. I guess I will set up the Badger for proximity and start learning CGS proximity with it. I was saving the Badger for my post learning curve adventures but now I think the ''curve'' starts alllll over again......lol.
CGS-P, here we come. Dont worry Monkey......I will save the CGS-A title for you. I haven't even figured out Quad Aerobatics in my head yet let alone in the CGS........it all you.

PDXDave
1st October 2013, 09:32 AM
...........expecting PDXDave to chime in here any minute now.........

Nah...Flying Monkey pretty much covered it. ;)

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 10:46 AM
So thanks to the Washington State guys for sending me their yucky weather all week I was able to get a LOT done on the CGS. I am totally taking this thing out of test and experimental phase and moving into usability and show phase......lol.
I totally redid the dash panel over the last couple of days and the electrical control panel on the right side. I dont know if you guys remember me posting the aircraft instruments I bought off of ebay the other day.......well I spent the last couple of days or so installing them into the CGS. I bought an old AC volt meter, a DC volt meter and an hour meter of mid century era (1950s?) and they still work!! I installed them on the right lower side of the dash. Now I can monitor the AC output of the inverter for the TV as well as the voltage on the 12v DC bus. I can also monitor the accumulated time on the 12v deep cycle battery between charges then reset to zero after a charge (now I just have to figure out what my max time is on the battery before it shuts down and implement a ''safe time'' before requiring a charge).
I'm thinking of ditching the lipo battery that powers the DC bus and powering it with the deep cycle battery. I dont know why I have it in my head that I need two separate batteries for this CGS. I think it stems from the early days when I carried the deep cycle battery around almost as a way to power the TV. When I first built the CGS the TV was just going to sit on the CGS so it was not really an ''integrated'' system. Now that it is, I think I can lose the lipo so there would be one less battery to have to worry about. Plus I can charge the deep cycle battery off of my car electrical system while I am towing it to the flying site........simple and user friendly.
Also I bought a ''manifold pressure'' gauge that I installed on the upper right side of the dash. It will be mechanically linked to the throttle and give me a analog read of my throttle lever position. This is more of a ''show'' thing as is the functioning altimeter and compass that I had laying around from my ultralight days that I also installed. I also inlayed the 9'' Phillips monitor into the center of the dash. Now this thing is starting to look like the inside of a cockpit.....lol.
Whatdoyatink?!?!

Reliku
1st October 2013, 12:08 PM
Cool stuff!

One thing: what about keeping the lipo as a backup battery. I mean, just in case get what I mean? A tv draws a fair amount of power, if you run out of power you're dead. Or well, you crash ;)

For long range, I mean.

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 12:23 PM
Good idea.....!!

I can put a ''bus power select switch'' in between so I can select the DC bus power source. I like this idea........We had all kinds of switches like this on my Engineers Panel. If my AC bus goes due to battery fail I would lose the TV but still have the ability to select an alternate DC power source and still have the back up 9'' monitor which is plenty to fly with just not as cool......lol. Actually I could even run it through a relay as well so it automatically switches over with no action required by the pilot.......I could even give it an indicator light to tell me that power has switch to backup power. It would be super easy to wire and a selector switch would just take away the ground to the relay so it would switch over if I needed to manually for some reason. Now that I have power monitoring gages I should be able to see an impending power failure and switch over on my terms and when I am ready. Like you said this would be more for long range stuff. I would hate to get wayyyy out there only to see my battery power failing........lol. Im kinda glad we kept you around Reliku........but don't get comfortable yet......hahaha

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 12:30 PM
Oh and quit with the cool ideas.........I am hoping to actually finish this someday. Hind sight being 20/20 I should have not made it so easy to upgrade the systems because I keep getting ideas from you guys and I say to myself ''that that would be easy to do because I built this so awesomely easy to upgrade''..........sheeeeeesh I feel like Zee.......this thing is never going to get done! This time 3 years from now the CGS will actually fly and the plane will stay on the ground.......LMAO

Zeeflyboy
1st October 2013, 12:46 PM
I would use an automatic transfer switch... that way the power should be uninterrupted.

You could use an OR'ing diode, but the problem is that'll just pick whatever has the higher voltage.

looking really sharp man, you should be proud of yourself.

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 01:08 PM
I would use an automatic transfer switch... that way the power should be uninterrupted.

You could use an OR'ing diode, but the problem is that'll just pick whatever has the higher voltage.

looking really sharp man, you should be proud of yourself.
Thanks Zee.......
Automatic transfer switch?? Never knew one existed but I will look in to it.
I thought about just using an ''on off on'' switch until I thought about the transfer relay in which case I would only need an ''on off'' switch to remove the relay power ground. Either way though I would get a slight power interruption on the bus which probably wouldn't be a huge deal unless I am in a tight turn between some lamp poles 5 feet off the ground.......yikes
What about using a capacitor of some sort to act as a buffer during the transfer........do you know if that would work? or am I thinking wrong about capacitors. I really don't know that much about electronics at all. I can read a schematic but I am not a builder of electrical thingys.......any advice is taken with open arms and a big kiss.......JK about the kiss so don't ask for one

Zeeflyboy
1st October 2013, 01:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_switch

shimples.

Yes install some capacitors if you are worried about the power switch... they'd have to be pretty beefy though to make any difference. I am not the man to ask when it comes to electronics - someone else here will be much more useful to you.

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 02:02 PM
Well, that answers that.........I think I will take the hit on the power interruption. It should not be that big of deal and I don't think it is worth the extra head ache of givings two poops about it. Nothing on the system is going to be excessively ''taxed'' by a slight power interruption any way. Things may go dark for a couple of seconds but at least they will have a backup power.

Thanks for the input Zee.........I was laughing at myself during this design process........You can tell I was a flight engineer and not a pilot......all my instruments are about monitoring stuff. I love that shit maverick. "GREAT BALL O' FIRE!"

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 02:04 PM
DIBS!!!!

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/1417506ea324212d

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 02:08 PM
And this will be turned into a clock using one of those simple AA battery operated clockworks from Walmart

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190859681898?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Reliku
1st October 2013, 02:13 PM
I believe I've got a bunch of REALLY beefy capacitors lying around... If they're still here..

But really, those things have a diameter thicker than your average flight controls transmitter.. Have to check the actual capacity. But quite a lot.

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 02:20 PM
One of the cool things about these instruments that I get to take apart and make into ''my own'' is I finally get to see how these things work their magic. However with that said I took apart an Artificial Horizon instrument and I still am not sure how those thing work........Man o man are they marvels of micro engineering. They are AMAZING! Even the Manifold Pressure gage was an incredible piece of work, dare I say ''Art''.

c5galaxy engineer
1st October 2013, 02:24 PM
I believe I've got a bunch of REALLY beefy capacitors lying around... If they're still here..

But really, those things have a diameter thicker than your average flight controls transmitter.. Have to check the actual capacity. But quite a lot.

I am not sure how big I need but I would only need 12vdc for less than a second I would think. But in actuality I dont think I will even worry about a momentary black out. Its just not that big of deal I don't think. But out of curiosity........how big would I need and what would be the physical size?!?!

Reliku
1st October 2013, 02:32 PM
No idea, haven't had that in my engineering classes yet :p

KirkaFordisRex
1st October 2013, 09:20 PM
What would you need to do if you wanted an audible alarm below a certain voltage? Is that easy or hard? How about a flashing light? everybody loves warning lights.

It's all ground based, I'm just wondering if it's just a wiring setup, or if you need like chips and resistors and capacitors and stuff that I don't know about.

The other option for gauges (which I am exploring and leaning towards) is using a computer to recieve telemetry from the aircraft and display it on a screen like THIS (http://wiki.ardupilot-mega.googlecode.com/git/images/ArduPilotMegaImages/chasecam.gif)

Then cut out some aluminum to go around the screen so that only the gauges are visible, like THIS (http://www.mikesteven.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fsx/panelmania/Metal_Panel_Photo.jpg)

MICK B.
2nd October 2013, 07:38 AM
OK KirkaFordisRex YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION. That idea of a cut out over a screen is awesome. How much do you know of this? Cos i wan't one !!! It would take care of a lot of my problems.

A low voltage light beside a back up battery switch sounds like a good idea to me. When the light comes on just flick that switch, it would save time fumbling around finding the switch in the panic of a black out. lol ( could you imagine that situation LMAO )

Mick B.
Down Under

bRandom
2nd October 2013, 08:28 AM
Could i hack my A-10 HOTAS joy/throttle? That joystick is so amazing you must try it... You could never use anything else after that.... But its $500... I have a flight sim cockpit (just joy throttle rud pedals and a projector with a screen by my knees with a program called helios designed for full instrument replica on screen with fully interactive touch screen controls and switches... That would be cool to integrate!

c5galaxy engineer
2nd October 2013, 08:51 AM
You could hack your A-10 System but then it wouldn't be any good for gaming because you would have to change out all the pots and rewire the whole thing like I did. The pots in a game system are a different value than the ones that the radio needs to operate properly. In the case of my system the stock pots were 100k value and the radio was only 5k. Then you would have to hack the wiring in both the radio and the joystick and throttle. Basically all you are doing is taking out the existing TX joysticks, extending the wires for those joysticks into the cockpit and into the hacked gaming system. This CGS was an experiment, so I used a cheap radio and a cheap gaming system. Now that I know it works I would like to upgrade both the radio and flight controls to something like the A-10 HOTAS but it would require me to basically start at square one.

MICK B.
2nd October 2013, 09:00 AM
Sounds good but i think c5 would be the bloke to talk to, As he has used hotas gear before. I will look into helios instrument replica to see if i could use it somehow. But that setup sounds good for training at least.

Mick B.

EDIT c5 got in first. c5 what do you know about this gauge display ?

c5galaxy engineer
2nd October 2013, 09:14 AM
BTW......I had a bit of a SNAFU yesterday. I was flying my quad from the CGS having a ball as usual trying to train myself to hover in and around the tree tops around the pond. Then I made a NOOBIE mistake. I ran my battery down and glitched the KK2 control board. The quad developed a mind of its own (or technically lack of a mind of its own) and went in from only about 5 feet but it was enough to break one arm and damage another. The damaged one I can live with but the broken one has me grounded until the parts arrive this week sometime. No biggie really but I sure learned a lesson........doh! I'm not sure if the battery survived yet either.
Guess its time to fire up the Badger quad and give it a go in the CGS. I'm Kinda worried because the quad I am flying now is a truck and the Badger is a sports car. yee haaaaa!!!!

MICK B.
2nd October 2013, 09:54 AM
Go the sports car. make sure you record it. had to look up snafu? LMAO. lucky you weren't over the pond. Man that would be horrid.
The new mods look good. What do you know about this gauge display ?

airtruksrus
2nd October 2013, 10:49 AM
Get those skills up Brett, we need to set up a pylon course when I make it down there. Second place buys lunch... That'll force me to start flying in manual mode with rudder pedals and a collective stick.

c5galaxy engineer
2nd October 2013, 11:18 AM
Situation Normal, All Fudked Up=SNAFU, What does it mean down in upside down land?!?!?!......lol

LOL @ Scott. I haven't pulled my balls out of my purse yet and switched to manual mode........I have thought about it and the switch to do so is on the throttle right under my thumb. It would be easy to hit the "Crazy switch" back to the on position but I just cant bring myself to do it yet......hahahaha.

Okay, if we are going to do any racing I am going to build an ''H'' quad and start practicing and practicing and practicing not because I dont want to buy lunch but more because I dont want to make a fool of myself.......lol.

KirkaFordisRex
2nd October 2013, 01:18 PM
Could i hack my A-10 HOTAS joy/throttle? That joystick is so amazing you must try it... You could never use anything else after that.... But its $500... I have a flight sim cockpit (just joy throttle rud pedals and a projector with a screen by my knees with a program called helios designed for full instrument replica on screen with fully interactive touch screen controls and switches... That would be cool to integrate!

This is my dilemma as well. I want to preserve the USB format of my joysticks, so that i can use the cockpit for PC games, and also use them for RC FPV.

The problem is, you can't use Galaxy's method, or they'll be un-usable without figuring out a way to go from PPM back to USB so that the TX is seen by the PC as a joystick. (which, now that I think about it, doesn't seem impossible)

The other method would be to take your computer out into the field with you and use a device called a PCTx (www.endurance-rc.com/pctx.php). It's a midpoint device that takes USB info from your PC and plugs it into the trainer port of your radio, so that the joysticks control the radio.

The downside is that there is a small amount of latency (about 50ms) and there is also software that is required that is sold separately. (ServoCommander (www.endurance-rc.com/servocommander.php)) for $100.

However in my opinion these downsides are not deal-breakers just things to be aware of. I really like the functionality of having a dual purpose pit.

@Mike B I found those cutouts while I was looking at cockpit builds that the flight simmers have put together. It's all home built, but I would encourage you to look around and see what people are doing.

c5galaxy engineer
2nd October 2013, 03:14 PM
The only problem with using a computer is that they tend to lock up. I went round and round with this decision and I finally settled on what I got today. here is why. I wanted to use this as a sim as well but my primary use was going to be for FPV so that is what I decided to design for........not a flight simulator. However.........there are several devices that you can get to enable you to use a R/C TX for a joystick on a computer.......I have one in the drawer actually. So now I can use the CGS as a simulator by simply unplugging my UHF TX from the trainer port and plugging my device in and the other USB end into the computer running the sim game.......viola'......Now it is a simpit. The 46 inch TV even has a VGA input if I wanted to go that route and use it as the monitor. This way I have no computer deciding to lock up on me and no latency issues when I FPV BUT it is still a fully functioning sim pit..........so you are incorrect in saying that the way I do it prevents it from being a used as a sim pit.......lol. So now I get to say ''I told you so"......lol
Honestly the way I did it IMHO is the best way for FPV. You can still use the computer program for telemetry and instrumentation because that is all linked with the Video link system usually on one of the audio channels and has nothing to do with control.

This is why I liked the Forcefly system.......It did what a computer does to turn a gamming joystick system into a R/C TX without the computer........but it just wasnt versitle enough for my use.

c5galaxy engineer
2nd October 2013, 03:25 PM
BTW......My Forcefly system and force feedback joystick HOTAS system with rudder pedals is for sale........I will make you the deal of the century on it and then your problems will be solved. I just dont need it because to the way I went. It is a F-15 style throttle......split two engine type on two seperate channels or can be locked together for single engine operation. It is NOT hacked and is a fully functioning USB force feedback system. Look at the first posts in this thread for pictures of the system during the early development of the CGS if you are interested in what it looks like. Seriously.......A screaming deal on it. I can sell it through ebay and/or paypal to you if you would feel safer. I have a 100% ratting there.

MICK B.
2nd October 2013, 09:46 PM
PYLON RACING FROM A CGS. That is going to be a sport in the future!!! and you guys must remember, It was my idea for you both to be the first to do that. I also want to be the first to see it on utube so you "" must"" record it. I have a pylon racer an old mate built and gave me, But the thing is so slippery in the air, i'm not game enough to fly it LOS couldn't imagine what it would be like fpv.. I will have to drag my old trainer out and give it a go soon, CGS of course and see what it's like. Gordon will lap that up, As in his younger years he was pylon racing mad and will know how to set up the course. IT WILL BE MAD TO TRY.

airtruksrus
3rd October 2013, 04:46 AM
Don't worry too much about going fast Brett, i'll be stuck flying in stabilized mode for a while, would be fun just to fly formation if just getting a chance. Got just the airplane for the pylon racing when everything is in place.

Reliku
3rd October 2013, 05:29 AM
Lol, racing would be intense from a CGS.

I recently started racing with my quad, and honestly, it's already hard enough to fly properly, next you have to remember that you don't have to brace for high G turns, and of course it will be even worse when flying with a CGS! Hmm... I want to start building a CGS! :/

MICK B.
3rd October 2013, 06:23 AM
HI all. What is stabilized mode? It has been spoken of a few times now, is it only a quad thing?

I'll take the phantom wing out this weekend for some slow pylon cruising not sure how set out a course or what to use as markers but i can get some help with that.

It's funny that you say you don't have to brace for high G turns, This might sound stupid but when i start flying hard, I find myself trying to lean into turns, only slightly but it still happens, I don't use head tracking yet but find myself trying to look around for the next land mark or point i want to turn.

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 08:17 AM
Well when Im talking about stabilized mode I am talking about my quad and the KK2 boards ''auto level'' mode. KK2 is a simple flight controller that has only 2 modes.......auto level and manual. In auto level it wants to keep its right side up and return to level as soon as you release the control in put. In manual it wants to kill you.

Reliku
3rd October 2013, 08:35 AM
Lol.

I only fly manual nowadays. If it's on auto level it becomes a pain to pilot really. In manual it doesn't steer itself. You do all the steering, and it only does what you want it to. That's exactly what's preferable for flying. It's not really better than auto when hovering, but for forward flight you definitely want manual. Try it some time (up high).

That's a tip in general. Start high and stay high. If things go wrong, just apply more throttle. Learn to fly nice and straight and when that works go low again.

Lower is more difficult, even though higher may be scarier, it is actually lots better.

Plus, you can't do loops at low altitude (Imo) haha

airtruksrus
3rd October 2013, 09:20 AM
Brett is right about manual killing your quad, kills it really quick if you haven't flown a real heli before. I sort of compare flying in stabilized mode as to pushing around a fully loaded shopping cart, give it enough control input and it'll go and keeps it from going past first gear, even worse in headwinds. I'll take Reliku's advice and start hi enough to have some fun with it before dropping back down.

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 09:49 AM
If you are in manual and go out of control and flip on the auto level will it right its self back to level and stabilize? Or does it look for a ''New'' level based on its new attitude........which when I type it out just sounds stupid.......of coure it would look for the old level......that would be the stupidest flight control board on the planet.......duh!

Reliku
3rd October 2013, 09:52 AM
Indeed. If I close my eyes and shake the head stick around like an idiot and flip the autolevel switch it will hover nice and level again.

Altitude however, is a different case LOL

I'll put a keychain cam on my quad and do some flying with it, you'll see what I mean :)

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 10:07 AM
I bought some cool led light strips to put into the CGS up under the side rails and glare shield. It should make for some even lighting that will simulate daylight in the cockpit but no glare on the screens. The C-5 flight sim had a fiberoptic system to simulate daylight in the cockpit and it was very subtle but necessary for the total immersion. I am going to try to simulate the same thing without it being to intense. I got white ones for now but I also plane on getting some red ones for actual night flying to light the cockpit just enough without being distracting from the task at hand. Of course the lighting will be controlled with an ''on off on'' switch of some sort. Of course this is just mostly an attempt to keep my CGS on par with Scott's who I'm afraid is passing me in the ''WoW'' department.......lol. Have you guys seen that pile of instruments he got for his over on his thread?!?!?!?!

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 10:08 AM
I'll put a keychain cam on my quad and do some flying with it, you'll see what I mean :)

Please do!

MICK B.
3rd October 2013, 10:20 AM
OK i got it now. I only know how to fly in kill mode. you guys get it too easy. lol. Mr air trucks you will master the quad in safety mode in no time as you can fpv your quad now, So the CGS will just be the next step.

My first CGS heli flight was unplug from phoenix sim, pack the gear in the van then off to the flying field so if it turned to shit, everyone got so see a good crash. My first FPV flight was my first CGS flight with the heli and my mate recorded it, so when i get it i'll be posted for all to see. flight 1 and 2 went very good, but by the time i got to battery 3 i was geting cocky and doing stall turns, That's when the ground came up too fast and i hit it. cased out bad and it didn't even fall over. ( altitude is our best friend ).
ANYHOW MR AIRTRUCKS what are you doing reading this GET BACK TO WORK. LOL.

weekend will be here soon yahoo.
Mick B.
Down Under

bRandom
3rd October 2013, 10:25 AM
I want to get into fpv racing!!! I love playing red bull air racing on microsoft fsx! With head tracker is the best! Can rc air racing pay the bills? Lol

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 10:26 AM
I always love reading MICK's posts.......lol......I dont know why but I find them strangely entertaining and informative. Maybe its because I try to read them in my head with an Ausie accent.....LMAO!!!!

Thanks for joining the Gaggle MICK!

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 10:27 AM
Can rc air racing pay the bills? Lol

Absolutely.......if you don't need to eat or have any bills to pay in the first place......lol

MICK B.
3rd October 2013, 10:36 AM
This CGS and pylon racing stuff is going to be a big thing and once red bull get behind it the money will follow.

Reliku
3rd October 2013, 10:47 AM
Future Olympic sport: drone pylon racing LMFAO

Anyway Brett it's a HORRIBLE vid but I hope you can see the difference :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPBK-cHvZMU

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 10:59 AM
Ohhhhhh boy........I see another learning curve ahead. I guess if I can master manual flight in the CGS it will open up a whole other level to an already way cool hobby. I guess I will go ahead and pre order spare parts......lol

KirkaFordisRex
3rd October 2013, 11:20 AM
What size lens is that Reliku?

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 12:02 PM
Kirk......that was just a keychain cam. He is not using that lense for flight. That would be wayyyyyyy to narrow FOV to fly by. lol

KirkaFordisRex
3rd October 2013, 12:11 PM
However.........there are several devices that you can get to enable you to use a R/C TX for a joystick on a computer.......

Links?

Reliku
3rd October 2013, 12:47 PM
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13447__Turnigy_KeyChain_Camera_w_o_memory_card.h tml

My actual flight cam is a sony super had II with a 2.8mm lens... I absolutely LOVE that cam.

I did some flying over the pond today, recorded that too. Has some more intensive flying in it too, but again VERY narrow fov lol. Want me to upload it? :p

BTW, it took me like one week from no quad fpv experience to flying like this. I've got a whole bunch of broken props and all four arms are replaced with stronger ones since I just broke one in half (square alu beam o.O) in a crash. She's been beaten up pretty bad by now, but I use super cheap props and it's a sub $100 quad anyway lol. But yeah, took me one week to learn it... So I bet you could do it within a month in the CGS! :)

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 12:50 PM
Kirk
I have been looking all over for where I got mine.......I am sure I got it either from www.ReadymadeRC.com (http://www.ReadymadeRC.com) or www.NGhobbies.com (http://www.NGhobbies.com) but I have been combing through their inventories and cant find the link. I did take a picture of mine so maybe someone can give us a link. As I remember it cost around 70 or 80 bucks and it plugs right into the trainer port of a Futaba TX (you could probably hack it with just about any plug) and then into the computer. I believe it is designed for the user to be able to use his own TX that he actually flys with for the R/C flight simulators.

So does anybody recognize this from one of the big FPV stores?

bRandom
3rd October 2013, 01:12 PM
Mayyyyybe try flytron.com ive gotten great service from them with lighting other than im still waiting for my usb to ppm converter...

c5galaxy engineer
3rd October 2013, 01:15 PM
Mayyyyybe try flytron.com ive gotten great service from them with lighting other than im still waiting for my usb to ppm converter...

LOL......I just posted over on your build thread man. I want one of those Reapers so bad. Nitro planes still have them available I think but not HK anymore.

Also this is a PPM to USB converter we are looking for.......other way around.....lol
I know I got it from one of the two stores I listed in the previous post.

By the way guys......check out his Reaper build
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?19540-Reaper-drone-2500mm/page3

Flying Monkey
3rd October 2013, 09:01 PM
Brett, you're still flying in auto-level??? facepalm! No man, ask your wife for your balls back and go fly like a man!!

btw, I've engaged auto-level upsidedown before and it works perfect... Once I took it up real high, flipped upsidedown and after a few seconds cut the throttle... let it fall for a few seconds, switched on auto-level and gave it full throttle while not touching the pitch/roll stick... again, it leveled the quad perfectly.

airtruksrus
3rd October 2013, 09:04 PM
I probably am a bit soft after flying and crashing all the rest of the heli's except for the big Kalt Gas Baron. If there was any heli to try that doesn't need a stabilizer, would be perfect to fly with the camera. Just have a substantial amount in the DJI and just being overly cautious. And yes Mick, spent the day cleaning out the garage and sorting out everything to make the trailer more open to work in. Keep finding more items to throw into the interior.

c5galaxy engineer
4th October 2013, 12:09 AM
@ Monkey ........ Like my new signature....lol.

Okay I spent some time putting new LED's inside the cockpit to simulate daylight without causing glare on the screens. Why you ask......because it is so dam dark in the cockpit even though I am flying in daylight......I find it a little strange so I wanted to do something about it. My plan is to get some red LED's for night flying. I installed a ''on off on'' switch. When the switch is up the white LED's are on, middle is off of course and down the red LED's will come on.

Lights ''OFF''.......Lights ''ON''

Pretty cool.......am I right?!?!
http://fpvlab.com/forums/images/misc/pencil.png